Nine Cricket Coverage

I absolutly love cricket, but, of recent times I have struggled to watch it due to channel nine.
If I was cricket Australia I would be doing my best to look for a new broadcaster.
Channel Nine is horrendous for cricket these days.
Cricket in Australia needs a fresh broadcaster with fresh faces/voices and a new way of thinking. I don’t like a single commentator (Bill Lawry is good and Warne is good when talking tactics and strategy).

3 Likes

Is this a first? I don’t recall it ever being live on FTA

I’m also finding several of their commentators difficult, but Lawry, Chappeli, and I agree Warne when talking tactics & strategy, are OK, but Nine really need to do better with the rest.
Unfortunately I don’t know if Seven or Ten would do a lot better, but the current situation isn’t good enough.

3 Likes

They might not do better, but they will have different commentators which is desperately needed. Fresh voices.

1 Like

Well as I’ve said many times I’d mute the TV and have the radio commentary on if it weren’t for the fact that it’d be about 10 seconds out of sync. Would hear what happens 10 seconds before I see it. Would be too annoying for me

1 Like

Unfortunately there is no HD watermark when streaming the game live.

You may be right, I can only remember the awards being shown on delay on Nine and 9Gem before this year.

Totally agree.

1 Like

Put it this way. When they televised the Womens Twenty20 Internationals last summer. I thought the commentary on those matches was much better.

I actually think the vision and graphics are first rate. It’s just the commentary. Mind you you could say the same about their NRLcoverage as well. I don’t know how much clought that the sports bodies have when it comes to the broadcasters.

The only thing that came into mind was at the end of the coverage, there was no presentation and post match talks in WA for ODIs and Night Tests. Instead the game was cut and made it to Nine News. We’ve had this every live ODI game for so many years now and it’s really hard to tell about their thoughts and feeling on the match. Alas, there’s nothing on in 9Gem. Instead 9Gem had drama.

Same thing in the AEDT timezone sometimes (obviously not as often as in WA I guess); it seems to depend on when the match finishes and what else is due up next.

I’m surprised Tubs has just made a reasonable point; the colour of the stupid advertising on the stumps being green like the Pakistan uniform making LBW decisions unnecessarily difficult for the umpires.

2 Likes

Does anyone know when 9 stopped airing highlights of ODIs and Tests?

Late 90s? I remember Optus Vision showing highlights for some time through their Sports Australia channel.

My guess would be that this stopped when Cricket Australia lifted the requirement for games to be sold out before they could be aired live in their entirety in the host city (I think only the host city ever got those highlight packages).

Which I estimate to be in the early 1990s.

3 Likes

I’m sure this was still going until the early 2000s, but might be wrong.

Didn’t Nine air highlights of the Ashes tests a couple of years ago?

I think they did, but I think it was a one off… they hadn’t done that for a few years, and haven’t done it since.

Rings a bell, was that after fox sports lost the highlights rights? Now Optus Sports are doing nighty highlights with their own analysis after tests, not sure about ODIs.

2005 in Sydney and Melbourne was the last season to feature home city blackouts and I’m pretty sure the highlight packages went along with it. The blackouts ended in 2013 in Hobart,Adelaide and Perth were they still doing highlights?

2 Likes

Having a quick look on YouTube to confirm which Ashes series was the one with Mitchell Johnson at large it was the 2013/14 Ashes series that Nine ran nightly highlights for.