Nine Cricket Coverage

I’m sure it was part of the rights agreement.

Mark hasn’t had anything to do with coverage bar that pre-record about Birmingham, has he?

2 Likes

Good point. I’ve been watching intermittently while doing other things so assumed I’d just missed him at other times, but perhaps not.

1 Like

Nice to see Louise Ransome on the coverage, forgot she left Australia to freelance.

3 Likes

Mark Nicholas back holding a WWOS mic.

9 Likes

So good to see and hear again! A wonderful human, and he’ll be a huge assist to the MCC as president.

5 Likes

The Longest Feud: Chappell v Botham

Tuesday 27 June 7:30 pm

The bitter rivalry between cricket legends Ian Chappell and Ian Botham is part of sporting folklore that spans five decades. Put simply - Ian Chappell and Ian Botham detest and loathe each other. Just ask them. For the first time since the infamous fight that started it all, “The Longest Feud: Chappell v Botham” brings these two Ashes icons together, face to face, to attempt to settle their differences.

More info:

6 Likes

I get it’s hard to insert ads into a broadcast that isn’t designed for it and you have no control over, but some of the crashing in and out of play has been woeful, the concern seems to be around fitting the ad in rather than having consideration to what’s happening when they switch.

5 Likes

It has been! She has done some Aussie stuff before this from over there:

For Optus:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CpVxGY9NAHV/?hl=en

and for 10:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrA3bIytiER/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/CrBFADttPgb/?hl=en

as well as for DAZN:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CnXijHXN4Rx/?hl=en

4 Likes

I guess Nine expect that viewers will work out the cricket is on 9Gem tonight.

9 Likes

I wish they’d stop this musical channels crap - pick a channel and be consistent.

Just put it on Gem for the whole length of the match, who cares if you’re displacing the 28th repeat of some crap British cop drama.

2 Likes

They’re looking for the most eyeballs (preferably with people attached) possible - some viewers might stumble across it and watch if on Nine, but are less likely to do the same if on 9Gem.

4 Likes

The second test is more consistent - main channel for most of the match in most markets - only bumped for NRL.

Also, as mentioned by others, why Nine didn’t switch to cricket on Friday night after the NRL instead playing Lethal Weapon repeat number 47.

5 Likes

Its really not hard, just view the TV guide…

8 Likes

Problem is the general public are pretty dumb, as we always see with people going “switched on Fox Cricket and was waiting for an hour for the match to start, only to realise the match was 2 wickets in on Gem! What’s the deal Foxtel: cancelling now!” etc.

7 Likes

Wonder if that graphic is not a mistake and they’ve had a late change of heart, perhaps concerned with DWTS launch + Spotlight combo vs Parental’s flailing ratings this season? Given Ashes is doing 500k over a very long broadcast run = massive shares. But I guess that’d ruin Parentel and other shows with sponsors and fees already locked up.

2 Likes

“on 9Gem and 9Now” promos running in Melbourne…

2 Likes

Other promos say this

6 Likes

Looks like rain delays or washout tonight (our time) with forecast 30mm and even storms, unfortunate timing with England opening and putting on a masterclass, but the Aussies finally coming back overnight:

2 Likes

I wonder what classic matches Nine will pull from the archives to fill time?

2 Likes

This is a problem as old as subscription television - it’s made worse when you get the vast majority of content available on one platform and then have a small number that isn’t. The same happens with Origin and the Grand Finals in the AFL/NRL.

This is where there needs to be promotion outside of a few ads on the host network - you can’t assume these days that people are watching FTA consistently enough to know that the Ashes are on Nine or the WTC Final was on Seven.

6 Likes