Nightline

NBN being as anti-network news that it was (and to a much lesser degree, still is) never used the Nightline brand. Their late night bulletin was unimaginatively branded as NBN News: Late Edition.

3 Likes

I’ll upload it in a week or so. I still have a lot of tapes to digitise. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane had their own local versions of Nightline/Late News prior to the national launch in 1992 with Jim Waley. Unsure if any continued afterwards.

NBN did have its own late news until 2001 or 2002 IIRC. There is a video on YouTube from September 11 where NBN actually crossed to the US a few seconds before Nightline in Sydney did.

1 Like

When were they doing these as Nine had The World Tonight With Clive Robertson prior to Nightline?

2 Likes

Nine’s late night news branded as Nightline weren’t always full bulletins. Sometimes they were just extended news updates in Sydney covering the top stories and weather. I’m not aware if something similar occurred in other cities.

4 Likes

i now vaguely recall that there might have been some version of Nightline over the summer months in lieu of regular shows like The World Tonight being on a break

Here is a glimpse of a Nightline branded update from Sydney 1985 with Liz Hayes (Credit to Zampakid)

A Brisbane version from 1986 with Mike London (Credit to MrKinglizzie)

A Melbourne version of Nine’s Late News from 1990 with Peter Hitchener (Credit to matrixfan01)

3 Likes

Melbourne had local late night news bulletins on both Seven and Nine throughout various times in the 70s and 80s, although I don’t think the Nightline brand came to that city until 1992.

Hence why the video I shared for Melbourne only mentions the ‘National Nine News’ brand and not ‘Nightline’. Melbourne would have received the national version of ‘Nightline’ from 1992 onwards.

2 Likes

Nightline SA Edition 6/7/1998:

8 Likes

Wow, Chris Kenny seems fairly measured there!

Certainly a rare find (referring to the bulletin!)

5 Likes

Who owned channel 9 Adelaide in 1998?

Up until September that year, Nine Adelaide was owned by the Lamb Family before Southern Cross Broadcasting bought it for $98 million.

Source: Australian Financial Review, 21st September 1998

4 Likes

I’m assuming the change in ownership saw the local Nightline axed?

I think so. According to the information I can find it was on October 2, 1998 that Southern Cross Broadcasting axed somewhere between 60-70 jobs in a round of cost cutting. This resulted in the cancellation of Nightline S.A Edition plus a couple of other local shows:

https://groups.google.com/g/aus.tv/c/iF9kzLcsTWw/m/d9eKC0lOagcJ
https://groups.google.com/g/aus.tv/c/QliMx68AF4I/m/XObwmYuEBRQJ

2 Likes

Which then lead to 7 Adelaide eventually taking the no 1 spot in the early 2000s. Southern Cross really have had a terrible history.

3 Likes

Nightline Montage with Peter Overton - Friday 4/10/1996

6 Likes

Is that the Deanna Williams that is now over at 7? If so, I’m quite surprised that they don’t use her for some presenting. Great find @Zampakid

2 Likes

Sure is, she was at Nine for at least 10 years I believe.

1 Like

Nightline SA Edition - Thursday 24/9/1998

Opener:

Story intros:

Upcoming story break bumpers:

Willsy’s Top 5 Movies in Adelaide Segment:

Finance:

Weather:

Closer:

14 Likes