Nightline

Nightline Opener with Georgie Gardner - 4/6/2003

Available in 50fps

5 Likes

This is something I have been wondering for a while. Why did Nightline use the theme for ABC World News Tonight, instead of Cool Hand Luke which is used in the 6pm bulletin?

1 Like

I would like to think that the answer was to give Nightline its own unique identity, similar to its early-morning contemporary Daybreak.

4 Likes

Friday - 15/11/1996

5 Likes

Nightline - Bali Bombing Anniversary Bulletin - Sunday 12/10/2003

7 Likes

Back in 1993, the New Zealand version of Nightline - which screened on TV3 (now Three) - used the theme for ABC World News Tonight instead of the 3 National News theme. The new look Nightline - with a new set and dedicated desk - was introduced on the evening of Monday 8 February that year with Janet Wilson and Neil Waka as co-anchors.

Here’s a complete Nightline bulletin (with commercial breaks) seen on 3 on the evening of Tuesday 2 November 1993 at 11pm, with Janet Wilson anchoring solo.

2 Likes

That 3 logo was so ugly

Tuesday 6/4/1999 with Mark Ferguson

Opener:

Set Shots/Story Intros:

Upcoming Story Break Bumper:

PTCs:

Break Bumper [2]:

Finance:

Weather:

Closer:

9 Likes

So good.

1 Like

Nightline - ‎30 ‎January ‎2006

11 Likes

10 Likes

*Friday 4/10/1996 with Peter Overton

Opener:

Set shots/Story intros:

PTCs:

Upcoming Story break bumpers:

Finance:

Weather:

Closer:

7 Likes

I don’t actually recall Peter Overton presenting Njghtline. Great find there

1 Like

Given the date, I reckon that very well may have been one of the first news bulletins Peter Overton ever got to present.

5 Likes

Nightline SA Edition - August 1998

Opener:

Set Shots:

PTC:

15 Likes

Now here’s a rare find! As I’m sure (or at least hope) some of Media Spy’s Adelaide correspondents can confirm, “Nightline S.A. Edition” was a bulletin which didn’t last overly long.

And yes, it’s that Chris Kenny…

7 Likes

Wow I never knew SA had a separate edition of Nightline. I know the 3 big cities had their own editions of Nightline/late news prior to 1992.

And would definitely love to see a video if possible :blush:

6 Likes

Good find. Had no idea Adelaide had its own Nightline Bulletin. Did any other cities receive a local editions?

2 Likes

Got a video of this??

Not that I know of, though I think NBN produced its own late news for a while around that time. I’m not sure if it used the Nightline name or if it just used NBN news branding.