Nickelodeon (formerly 10Shake)

MTV sounds like Empty Vee to me. Its about time they got more access to content.

2 Likes

Surprised that MTV is the rumoured choice and not Spike like viacom owned 5spike in the UK and the US channel (now Paramount Network)

As you say yourself, the brand is getting phased out in the US so why would they launch it here?

Of any of the Viacom properties MTV is no doubt the most valuable for CBS to bring to FTA via Ten. Considering the abrupt cancellation Catfish Australia for pilot week could the launch of this new channel be somehow involved?

I would be pretty confident Blackbox has it right, I would suspect the NDAs on such a launch with a global brand would be super tight so nobody working for the network is going to admit it.

2 Likes

How is it being "phased out "?

Paramount Network replaced the Spike brand in both the US and UK. Viacom won’t be expanding it further.

2 Likes

Yeah… that was a joke on Fast Forward with Jane Turner using the line as an Alison Drower inspired character.

3 Likes

Actually it was MTV that approached Optus Vision about having MTV on the platform, remember Optus Vision together with Austereo and Village Roadshow (via Packer ownership via I think it might of been PBL Media or ACP) had ARC Music which launched June 1996.

ARC Music became MTV and Optus Vision owned the licence and more importantly the “creative control” of the channel content and did all the production end to end work, this was done at first from Zetland (original Optus Vision production facility) and then moved to North Ryde facility (where Optus iTV was located from July 2000 till Foxtel took over the Optus TV HQ and became Foxtel HQ), which is why I say from March 1997 till March 2003 MTV on Optus Vision/TV was great, those with Foxtel or CETV (prior to becoming Austar) never had access to it, those with ECTV did for a brief period did.

In March 2003 Optus TV basically gave up and did the CSA deal with Foxtel, Optus only retained the creative control part of the agreement for MTV (as well as several other channels that it had rights too, like Movie Network and Ovation which Optus then outsourced the end to end production work to a 3rd party which I think was Omni Vision), Foxtel did the actual end to end production work and transmission work for MTV, AUSTAR finally got it 2 years later which was around the time Foxtel Digital was launched which.

There is more to the MTV story also with Optus getting TMF (The Music Factory) which was replacing MTV (after March 2003) as a pure music only channel, I am pretty sure TMF was not on Foxtel at all.

Optus walked away form everything with regards to MTV licence around mid 2007 when they shut down analogue pay TV (they also walked away from several other agreements also) because by then they were reselling Foxtel Digital and did not care about it as a stand alone product only bundling and even then never pushed it, in fact Optus TV featuring Foxtel digital is still a thing but slowly being killed off due to NBN ending Optus Cable network.

2 Likes

actually TMF was on Optus TV Digital as well as then Optus Zoo (anyone remember Optus Zoo? me neither, Zoo was a internet/mobile 3G porthole, similar to Planet 3 or Vodafone Live and Telstra Bigond) platform from July 2007.

TMF would be replaced by MTV Hits in 2010.

2 Likes

MTV used to do my head in with Richard Wilkins promising “coming up next, the latest video clip from…” and he would trot that out before every ad break right up until literally the end of the show which could be hours! It was the most frustrating show to watch.

4 Likes

As I mention above look at the parent companies, it makes sense for CBS Ten to get MTV once CBS and Viacom (which includes Paramount) for a SD multi channel, I won’t watch as it’s outside my level of program viewing but it they make it more Viceland content with original content like concerts and even lets say niche contest like what Vice has with music in the dead hours (so anything after 11pm till 5 am) then it could work, but yeah I have seen MTV on Fetch and it’s craporama at best.

You do have valid points there.

With the rumoured MTV coming to a free to air platform, could we see 10 Nickelodeon join soon after?

10 Ten
10 Bold (older)
10 Peach (family)
10 MTV (teen)
10 Nickelodeon (kids)

Not a bad set up…

8 Likes

From memory, TMF appeared as an MTV press red channel a couple of times, but never as an actual channel with an assigned number or position in the EPG.

Way off topic now, but I remember The Soundtrack Channel being another exclusive non-Foxtel channel for some time during the early digital days. I think it was an Austar channel.

3 Likes

I seem to recall TMF was sort of interactively programmed as well - Australia was a bit of a trial market.

I dont think SoundTrack Channel was non-Foxtel - from memory it gradually replaced MusicCountry - I thought CMC started out as an Austar channel and then was handed over with Weather 21 to xyzNetworks

2 Likes

Music Country was on Optus TV analogue from memory as part of the Optus/Austar deal which saw Movie Network and C7 Sport be on Austar while Optus got a few Austar only channels.

This was around mid 1999.

Or am I time vortex ?

1 Like

Must have been CMC then. My experiences with Foxtel are all post-digital. All I remember is seeing Soundtrack doing a scan on the satellite but it was never on the actual Foxtel box, so I figured it was Austar exclusive.

1 Like

The Soundtrack Channel was a Foxtel O&O channel. CMT (Country Music Television) was axed by the end of 2000 was replaced with “Music Country” (MC) when Foxtel took it over. It was mainly pop music with the odd country track thrown in initially but within 6 months it was all pop/AC format clips (and not to mention those mobile phone ringtone ads!) MC had a request show “It’s Your Go” which was also seen on Southern Cross Ten regionals. The Soundtrack Channel came around 2002 and was a split channel with MC during the day, reverting to a country music format, but the damage was already done and The Soundtrack Channel eventually folded, replaced on the Foxtel platform by ESPN.

1 Like

Why not just ditch 10Peach and make 10Peach into this channel .

1 Like

Why would they ditch a channel that brings in revenue?

They would want to grow their business. Not shrink it.

8 Likes

10 Peach is a pretty good syndication binge channel IMO.

2 Likes