Nickelodeon (formerly 10Shake)

The Loop could remain for current hits, and Video Hits could be a “hits of the past” type show with themed episodes?

3 Likes

Wouldn’t rate. Why watch that when we have YouTube?

Nostalgia is a great thing but it would be massive misstep from Ten to have a music channel. We already have enough “radio” stations on FTA!! Haha

6 Likes

What will happen to the Catfish episodes that air on ABC COMEDY?

Have you actually watched The Loop? It’s all about past hits every week.

3 Likes

Yeah they have themed weeks, but no reason 10 couldn’t tweak The Loop to suit a new arrangement should this channel actually go ahead and they look at any local programming opportunities.

3 Likes

Been quite a while since I watched it admittedly, but as @killy06 said, it can be tweaked to fit with only current hits.

1 Like

Works well. Three letters in MTV, three letters in WIN. The watermark designs itself!

1 Like

So will this follow or break 10s naming conventions?

10MTV?

I think it’s a great idea. Probably won’t watch it but seems to gel well with 10 overall.

1 Like

Personally, I’d be very surprised if WIN even carries MTV Australia via Ten.

2 Likes

10 MTV doesn’t have a ring to it :frowning:

I’m guessing they’re going with the solo MTV brand.

4 Likes

Interesting news. Looking forward to what they will do with the free to air version.

1 Like

Have to agree. But then they break the convention and go against the whole united branding.

In other news MTV are denying it is happening, taken from dailymail…

‘MTV Australia is available exclusively on subscription television platforms Foxtel and Fetch. There are no plans to launch a free-to-air MTV-branded channel in Australia at this time,’ a statement read

7 Likes

It does sound fishy since know one else is reporting it & only some dodgy website is…

1 Like

I think that’s unfair. The website has broken a number of exclusives that have turned out to be true.

11 Likes

Or it’s been reported prematurely and MTV hasn’t had time to put their pants on yet, let alone possibly renegotiate terms with Foxtel and Fetch. We’ve seen companies deny stuff publicly until official announcements are made

8 Likes

Indeed, remember the WIN/SCA affiliation swap/Nine News Regional and the return of Nine HD + network branding relaunch? Those were major media stories we first heard whispers about years before they actually happened!

1 Like

I know he’s considered to be a bit daggy in 2019 but he was pretty cool back in 1987 when the youth of the day would sit up late at night to catch the latest music videos, interviews and news.

I’m secretly hoping Alison Drower makes a return to MTV Music News complete with her trademark spiral perm. Simulcast it on Ten at 6pm.

2 Likes

Usually The Loop has a theme which they pick every week, and allow viewers to contribute their requests on Facebook for the first 1.5 hours of the program. The remainder is charting hits and random songs.

1 Like

The last time MTV was any good was during the 1st Optus Vision period from March 1997 to March 2003, that was when Optus together with Village Roadshow / AUSTEREO and Nine ran the channel exclusive for Optus Vision / Optus TV customers.

Once Foxtel got their grubby hands on it MTV turned to the shit that it currently is.

As for a potential 10/MTV Networks tie up, look at the parent company which is currently Viacom which is in the process of being remarried* to CBS Corporation.

Knowing TEN lucks they will get a 25% different version of MTV, their is a joke their based on “alternative licence” based on current Viacom / CBS business deals.

*CBS Corp & Viacom are looking to remarried together by the major shareholder of both companies (Redstone) … irony is that it was the major shareholder that split the company up several years ago and caused this entire mess.

4 Likes

Incorrect - Foxtel never ran MTV, Viacom licenced the brand to Optus in 97 and bought the channel back in 2006/07. MCN (which is now Foxtel Media) handle the advertising

The Australian (and NZ) version of MTV is pretty much the same as other countries

7 Likes