News Themes

2 Likes

Two iconic news themes from the U.S. as heard during long closesā€¦

The 1991-2006 CBS Evening News theme:

The 1990-1996 ABC World News Tonight/Saturday/Sunday theme (a slight update of the 1978 WNT theme):

2 Likes
6 Likes

agreed. when Her Majesty dies they should play God save the queen followed by this.

2 Likes

:thinking: But you canā€™t save her if sheā€™s already dead. It would have to be God Save the King. :wink:

3 Likes

ā€œGod save our gracious Quā€¦ohā€

2 Likes

Itā€™s ironic to sing God Save The King after the immediate failure of the previous plan to save the Queen that God would have had to just failed at.

2 Likes

Iā€™d assume there is a protocol that must be followed when Lizzie kicks the bucket. You might not have such stinging music in that sort of situation.

2 Likes

Maybe but the tradition when a monarch dies and the announcement is made, it is followed by God Save The King/Queen for whoever inherits the crown.

3 Likes

There are protocols upon protocols. When the Queen Mother died in 2002 the BBC News presenter who read the announcement was crucified by the media for wearing a burgundy tie. Ever since then the BBC (and presumably other stations) have black ties on standby.

The Aussie networks would probably use a softer ā€œsadā€ version of their theme music when coverage breaks, if they use any music at all.

2 Likes

Something like this (although perhaps a version without the piano beats) would probably be a good theme for Seven News to use for coverage of events when the nation/world is in mourning?

Not sure about the other networks though.

3 Likes

Feels a bit upbeat.

I suspect it will be silent openers without headlines when it happens.

1 Like

This one was no coincidence, PBL (predecessor to Nine Entertainment Co) used to own EMTV, they just never changed it after ownership changed.

2 Likes

I thought this would be interesting, stumbled across ABC Darwin and their live streams have the ABC News bed playing out so I grabbed the track so you can download it. It is low quality since it is only an SD Stream.

Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gp2iiagtimgiejp/ABC%20News%20-%20Bed%20Theme%20[LQ].mp3?dl=0

14 Likes

Great find!

7 Likes

Wow. I thought it would just be a 30 second loop, but thereā€™s so much going on there. What a find!

8 Likes

I guess that you could call that an alternative bed?

The main 45 second or so headline bed for ABC News has a bit more instrumentation or something, I think.

3 Likes

It does seem like an alternative/paired back bed in comparison to the usual headline bed.

1 Like

ABC world News tonight has an updated theme.

7 Likes

Very similar in sound to classic versions of the ABC World News Tonight theme, just with a few subtle differences!

8 Likes