News First (Sky Open NZ)

They’re more or less taking the lead of what Ten has done on our side of the ditch, and for the same reason.

“First at 5.30” has been part of the brand for as long as Prime has had news, and now that it’s not necessarily such (depending on the revolving door of 4pm or 4.30pm bulletins over on TVNZ or Three)… it’s still difficult to drop the name, so why not make it part of the brand?

Especially if Sky wants to expand it beyond a 5.30 bulletin in the future for some reason. Which I doubt on TV; expanding the brand online is more likely. :man_shrugging:

I’m not sure it works well without a brand in front of it like it does at Ten, but it’s not like they can call it “Sky News” First either, and it’s obvious they want their own look on it rather than being “another” Newshub bulletin.

3 Likes

They could still call it Prime News :man_shrugging:

It’s not like Newshub is named after the channel it’s on.

Yeah but “Newshub” isn’t the channel’s old name.

Final ‘Prime News’ First at 5:30

13 Likes

Eric Young mentions changes at the end of the last bulletin under the Prime News brand.

12 Likes

I hope this means SKY Open is getting a new corporate voice. Prime’s has been SHOCKING the last few years. I don’t know who the voice is but my god, it’s been so bad.

2 Likes

Prime’s successive corporate voices have included John O’Leary (who used to be the voice of Sky Movies), Richard Simpson and Nathan King (from Zed).

I wonder if there is a corporate voice for Sky Open when it launches - John Sweetman (who used to be the voice of TV3/Three and Magic)?

2 Likes

Would love to see Eric Young back at tvnz tbh

3 Likes

A preview of the new News First:

6 Likes

Sky Open is an awful name. Sounds like a sports channel. Sky Prime, Sky 15, Sky Showcase. Anything else.

8 Likes

Well that’s just lifeless.

2 Likes

Dire

2 Likes

How is it even possible for it to look worse than the previous look

2 Likes

Tbf that looks like a promo image rather than the actual look of News First.

4 Likes

pink for a news bulletin?!

2 Likes

I don’t think it will be pink. Pink is the colour of Sky Open, and that image looks more like something knocked up quickly for promo purposes. Very much doubt it has any bearing on what News First will look like.

3 Likes

Theres too many presenters at tvnz now. I think Eric is good where he is

3 Likes

They’re giving everything else a new name, why does Eric have to keep his? He’d make an excellent Roderick, I reckon.

1 Like

It’s acutally NZ’s home of Scandi-noir, Skŷöpen

2 Likes

Fingers crossed it isn’t like that but I’m not holding my breath.

2 Likes