News Corp Australia

Well, she has to write something for her column…

According to Mediaweek, The Australian has made eight new appointments.

Georgina Windsor has been promoted to deputy editor. She has been Inquirer editor for the past five years.

Weekend digital editor Christine Kellett has been named content director, where she will drive The Australian’s storytelling across all platforms.

Jennifer Campbell has been named Inquirer editor.

Nicholas Jensen has been promoted to commentary editor. He has spent the past two years in the masthead’s NSW bureau.

Elyse Popplewell, previously the editor of the masthead’s youth publication The Oz, has been named content strategy director.

Bianca Farmakis has been named social media editor, spearheading the masthead’s content on platforms such as Instagram and TikTok.

Emilia Tortorella has been named digital design director, where she will lead illustration and graphics on The Australian’s website and apps.

Geordie Gray is the masthead’s new entertainment reporter, covering the worlds of TV, film, streaming, music, theatre and more.

And today they published this:

Now, that is a big story - a nominally first-world country facing major, major civil unrest. However. When your article uncritically quotes a far-right group, I’m not sure it can be taken quite so seriously:

As much as I hate this phrase… do better, News.com.au.

2 Likes

I notice News Corp will not publish a glossy magazine this year previewing the upcoming AFL season. Instead, a 24-page liftout will appear in Herald Sun next Tuesday (March 14), two days before the season opener between Richmond and Carlton.

The AFL season guide magazine has been published for the past decade. Initially, it was inserted inside Herald Sun (or The Advertiser if you live in SA), usually on the Saturday before the season kicked off, but in recent years you had to cut out a coupon in the paper, and give the coupon and the money to the newsagent to get the magazine.

I wonder if News Corp axed the magazine due to cost cutting.

1 Like

News Corp at the top of the rankings just ahead of Seven. There are a number that could be aggregated though . ABC News is more popular than Daily Mail :astonished:

I thought Sky would have made the top 20 (unless their numbers are aggregated towards News Corp’s numbers)

The Daily Mail being so high on this list is an indictment on our society.

2 Likes

They’re not, as the individual News Corp newspapers are still listed there, so presumably skynews.com.au doesn’t have a big reach in itself (which doesn’t surprise me). Though don’t worry (:sweat_smile:), they’d be seen, both on News’ other sites and on things not in the news category like on social media.

1 Like

Sky doesn’t get much traction on its website, it’s all social media / Youtube, predominantly from an overseas audience.

4 Likes

The company is also recruiting cadet journalists. A double page ad appears in today’s Herald Sun.

1 Like

Courier Mail : Chose your front cover - flip over for each front page.

1 Like

Herald Sun and The Daily Telegraph both had facelifts for today’s edition, with new font for headings and new page layouts.

2 Likes

Same with the Adelaide Advertiser.

1 Like

Unexpected. The old font that was used for pretty much all of the 2010s was owned by News Corp so I figured they would keep on using it for the remaining life of their print products.

The new font and designs reminds me of the free Metro paper they hand out on the London Underground. Not bad but it really doesn’t suit the News Corp’s tabloid products, particularly the decision to replace red with rich purple for the Exclusive tags. Meanwhile the Opinion pages look more like they were designed for Woman’s Weekly. Also shocked they haven’t given The Australian a spruce up considering their design predates the last refresh of the tabloids.

Interesting how the Herald Sun articles don’t feature the first word fully capitalised. This is different to how it usually is. I notice that the Daily Telegraph have continued with this.

New layout looks pretty good.

yes those Harvey Norman ads still stand out :wink:

2 Likes

Turns out that The Courier-Mail, The Hobart Mercury and Northern Territory News also underwent a refresh on Monday this week.

The Mercury was the only paper to post a notice to the readers about the makeover.

2 Likes
2 Likes