News Breakfast

Just in:

3 Likes

Wasn’t Virginia meant to leave New Breakfast a couple of years ago but decided not to?

2 Likes

No decision had been made yet on who would replace Trioli on News Breakfast next year.

Wonder who will replace Virginia? Kath Robinson would be a great addition IMO. Hopefully the show has a little refresh too.

2 Likes

If the show was in Sydney, yes.

That’s true, didn’t think of that.

Shame Virginia is leaving- she was a great host. Thankfully, we have got the rest of the year until her departure.

It would be nice for Del Irani or Vanessa O’Hanlon (to return) to elevate up to the hosting seat. Kath Robinson or Emma Alberici would be great, but my favourite fill-in for Trioli was always Beverley O’Connor.

2 Likes

There was a suggestion on Studio 10 this morning that the new timeslot for Virginia might free her up to become the new host of Q&A when Tony Jones leaves - she has filled in before.

5 Likes

She’s done well after 11 years.
I’m assuming she will stay on and finish up at the end of the year?

2 Likes
2 Likes

It seems like from this tweet that the transition will happen this year:
https://twitter.com/LaTrioli/status/1123372397577494530

2 Likes

Would the ABC ever consider moving production of weekday News Breakfast (IIRC, Weekend Breakfast is produced at Ultimo) up to Sydney?

Personally I think it’s good there’s at least one breakfast show produced in Melbourne so don’t really care either way. But if the ABC were to decide that the next co-presenter of News Breakfast should be someone who’s really talented but would never leave Sydney…

I don’t think that’ll happen. The ABCs charter is to not centralise everything to one city. Plus the product seems to be working well from Melbourne.

4 Likes

Shame she is leaving because she brought a lot to the show. But on the other hand, its about time. She was honestly hardly there along with other members of the team, it seems every week someone is away. If you can’t commit fully, then re-evaluate if you really want to be there.

2 Likes

While I can understand that suggestion, doubt Trioli will get the gig for two reasons:

1. A few years into the role, Jones cut back on the nights he presented Lateline. Considering the high-profile nature of her new role, Trioli won’t have that same luxury to do that or regularly take days off like she has done on News Breakfast when she’s stepped in on Q&A
  2. In the game of ‘musical chairs’ which is happening at the ABC this year, doubt they’ll give the same person two of the three high-profile openings available.
2 Likes

On Studio 10 this morning Sarah mentioned the EP of Q&A said hopefully you will have time still for us…l took that to mean she might fill-in occasionally like she currently does.

I wrote when Jones made his departure announcement that rotating hosts on different cities would be a good change, but an 830am radio gig would have her in the building well before 6, making a very long day and then to back up on Tuesday. I think consistency in the radio slot is more important than an a co-host of a TV programme.

1 Like

The ABC’s charter is also to be fair and balanced.

Give me some examples

Please don’t start this pointless argument again

3 Likes