News Breakfast

Finally, a network has nicely launched a fresh weather package. The logo reminds me of the first incarnation.

1 Like

Not a fan of the clock. Rest looks nice, although i dislike the blue transition between each headline on the flipper. That is going to get annoying IMO

5 Likes

5 Likes

4 Likes

Weather, headlines:

4 Likes

The flipper hasn’t been up for a while

2 Likes

Don’t mind the updated theme, but the opener looks too similar to Today with the geavily saturated blue, orange & white colours and swipes. It’s a shame they’ve persisted with the ugly backdrops for their set, the desk is also hideous and I’ve always hated that. As most on social media have said the ticker is too small, the blue transitions are annoying also. Saw a few comments that the new logo looks similar to that of Channel Ten. To me there seems to be a real disconnect between the youthful fun look the ABC has in their on-air presentation (before today their general tv presentation but now that extends to News) and their presenters and mostly the content.

2 Likes

The ABC’s broadcast audience skews old so of course they’re going to whinge about any change. This time tomorrow everyone will be on a new grievance.

Would’ve preferred an opener close to an ITV or Channel 4 style. The title card and logo isn’t great. The set needs updating fast.

I love how Del had to come in for the rehearsals on a Sunday and not Virginia.

2 Likes

Some video of the new graphics from the start of this morning’s show.

2 Likes

In Queensland the graphics are coming through with very poor resolution except for the watermark and clock.

Some examples.

Look at the ‘e’ in the weather graphics, they all look like ‘o’. Anyone for Moroo? :slight_smile:

Trying to read the ticker:

4 Likes

Thanks for the video TVCynic.

I must say I’m quite mixed thus far as to how its been done. I really love the Breakfast opener and full screens. The headline supers are interesting too; they’ve opted for a much longer and more descriptive headline (almost a sentence), which is a break from both the competitors’ and their own previous style of two-to-four word headlines.

The ticker is very small but I don’t have a problem reading it. I imagine the old biddies will be heading into Specsavers later today though. The biggest problem is that the transition/flip effect the flipper does is quite distracting. They need to tone down the blue.

The name and story supers are quite nice though. A bit bland and simple with the colour scheme, but I suppose that’s what they’re going for. It will be interesting to see how the look handles breaking news, considering the ABC now has three different types of “special supers” for breaking news/developing story/emergency.

The music… I’m guessing Breakfast is no longer using the ABC News theme. I liked the 6am music.

Roll on the new look news channel and 7pm bulletins.

5 Likes

Pretty disappointing here. I love the black and white and blue together - and I am all for clean, minimal, 2D crisp clean minimal design.

But this has missed the mark to me.

It looks like bad clean minimal design, rather than good clean minimal design

The set looks so out of place now - they should have stood back and looked at the big picture how all this would work together and update the set accordingly. Likewise the yellow and orange opening titles - it’s like they have nothing to do with the rest of the package.

The fonts are too small, the clock is hideous, the desk is foul - and yes - I know under designed is the look - but this is badly executed under -designed.

An overall let down to me.

3 Likes

I keep looking at the chipped paint on the set bottom left - very unprofessional - get if out of shot!

2 Likes

I’m more distracted by the fact that the resolution is so poor that I can’t see the chipped paint on the set.

2 Likes

Dont worry you are not the only one. :stuck_out_tongue: Very hard to read it. :stuck_out_tongue:

The look on Michael Rowland’s face pretty much sums up this relaunch!

Huge mistakes - it’s pretty damn horrible.

1 Like

There are tweaks to be made, but as a whole, I like it. Much fresher and neater.

9 Likes

I’d probably say that the new look News Breakfast Opener is a rather solid design.

About the only major change I’d make to the Opener is getting a powerful voiceover (something among the lines of “On Monday April 10 from the ABC, this is News Breakfast with Michael Rowland and Virginia Trioli”) for the titlecard between the headlines & studio wideshot, rather than Paul & Virginia introducing themselves. Aside from that, I vastly prefer it over the current Openers of Sunrise & Today!

5 Likes

The old graphic was let through at 6.40:

5 Likes