Newcastle Radio

Just scratch it off at this point it does worse than good.

1 Like

Yeah that 2NUR mic flag is bad, they should replace it.

1 Like

There are some of the choices for cover art on the 2NUR online playlist. Just look at the Bread song. It’s for a chilled compilation.

2NUR happens to be one of my favorite stations to stream but lately the stream is almost missing a channel of audio.

4 Likes

Was I hearing things this morning or has MMM Newcastle started using an AI voice for local weather for unstaffed times such as 6am Sundays?

Sounded like a network-wide national news at 6am (Sunday) read out by a person, then after the news I swear it sounded like an AI voice that read out the latest Newcastle weather, forecast and a live read ad?

I’m pretty certain they woun’t have DJ staff in the studio 6am on a Sunday so I suppose it was better than no local weather… it just surprised me.

1 Like

It’s been done for about a year now. Used to piss us off as we were in studio and able to do live weather.

2 Likes

They use it for weather during the day on Hit here on the Darling Downs aswell
Sounds somewhat believable until it does the love read part and you hear how it says “nest of traitors” and the inflection it puts on it is very un humanlike

3 Likes

The whole thing sounds fake to me… the delivery sounds very stop-start and stilted, not at all natural.

They’d be better off having them pre-recorded by a real person in a hub. If they can’t do it live and local.

3 Likes

Newy 87.8
I just listened to 87.8 for the first time in a while yesterday, it brought back memories hearing the top of the hour pips like the AM/ABC stations used to have.

Probably the last station in Australia to still have them.

Hit1069
Also I listened to Hit1069 for the first time in a long time, I noticed the very generic discussions totally avoiding any mention of Newcastle, obviously being syndicated across the state. I wonder how the listeners took this when previously they were talking about a lot of local stuff.

1065 NEWFM
I also listened to New FM, I like them because of the hyper-local content, exactly how radio should be, their breakfast crew had a conversation about local news with the newsreader and they never seem to talk for a long time so it’s never boring.

89.3 Reggae (Pirate - Tighes Hill)
This is off air more than it’s on air.

2 Likes

Forgive me if this has already been mentoned. But last yeah when driving home from Mudgee. I came back through Merriwa and Muswellbrook. I was able to listen to Newcastle radio stations in my car. It was that i was getting them, but how clear it was.

So my question is have they put up boosters for the upper Hunter?

1 Like

Was this on AM or FM? No, I imagine you probably just had good conditions. 2NM and Power FM are the only licensed commercial broadcasters in the Upper Hunter.

In my experience, Newcastle FM reception normally fades not far west of Denman, as there are some sizable hills out there, the ABC FM stations would get a little further, but not a lot.

1233 ABC would go further than both, you would get some night skip from dusk to dawn as well making it go further again, but reception gets a bit more variable then.

1 Like

They were FM Stations and yes it was a sunny April day.

3 Likes

They’ll normally fade out past Muswellbrook, obviously deii oh ending on the quality of your radio.

1 Like

Yes for me, going north, they start to fade out going over the big hill just south of Muswellbrook… they improve again a little just north of Muswellbrook, but are gone again around Aberdeen.

As you go up the Great Dividing Range just north of Murrurundi, you can hear them again quite well, but disappear never to be heard again down the other side.

2 Likes

So New FM has decided to copy Triple M Newcastle’s homework and has done a “Best of Newcastle” competition of the best Fish and Chips, Takeaway, Suburb, etc, the same thing Triple M Newcastle did in 2022 and 2023.

4 Likes

I just turned on MMM Newcastle on the stream, it was refeshing hearing them broadcasting live from a school in Newcastle, great audio quality too.

I do have critcism for the LISTNR team though, they still have Melbourne and Sydney radio stations in the “For You” tab on the first page, when I first opened the app I automatically clicked on MMM without looking closely and it played Melbourne’s MMM and it took me a while to realise.

Imagine how many people click on MMM outside of Melbourne and do not care that it’s a Melb stream, its reducing the effectivness of local advertising.

Your advertisers suffer because your listeners are hearing irrelevant advertising and your company suffers in the long run because your adveriting and content isn’t relevant.

The first page should contain the local radio stations, if someone wants to listen to Melbourne’s MMM out of area they should be able to via another page or menu or scroll further offscreen.

4 Likes

If you’re listening to Triple M, it would be Listnr, not iHeart.

2 Likes

oops thanks!

the melbourne and sydney log is far superior than the regionals

2 Likes

RE the best of Newcastle thing, this isn’t purely a Triple M thing.

I swear every station in every market has done something similar along the way.

2 Likes