Newcastle Radio

I agree and there’s better way’s to identify yourself to the local market than a name that lacks imagination and creativity.

2 Likes

I agree, I recall during Surfest in 1990, NEW FM ran a pop up station on 99.7 called Surf FM, which is reflective of our beach and surfing culture.

Even that would have been a better name, and would appeal to the older demo that 87.8 would be targeting.

6 Likes

what was the content of it?

Events with special event stations were great. When Brisbane’s Southbank opened in 1992?, the UHF 31 allocation was used for a special event television channel pre community TV. Ran for a couple of weeks.

4 Likes

I only really got to hear it in the evening, which had the networked contemporary music “Nightbeat” program with Jon Henry.

2 Likes

I remember 99.7 Surf FM.

2 Likes

Through the day they covered the action of Surfest spoke with the competitors, played music. From memory overnight they had the syndicated national music show that NEW FM were playing at the time and NEW FM had something different. I could be wrong, but they had the syndicated show which was different to NEW FMs.

I hope they play better music.

4 Likes

The 2HD Belmont North translator goes before the Lake Macquarie City Council at their next general meeting, on Monday 28th Sept.

Reading through the documents, the DA’s recommended to be refused, on a lot of grounds, including but not limited to, differing/conflicting information on various parts of the DA, & despite being asked a number of times for more information about various things, it was never supplied.

1 point that was noted is, that if it was accepted, that a specific clause agreement would be noted, that it had to be decommissioned & everything removed in 2 years, as was stated in the DA, that it was only a temporary facility for 2 years until upgrades at Mt Sugarloaf were complete.

As I’ve said before, if it is denied, 2HD don’t have a leg to stand on to appeal the decision, they’ve done just about everything wrong that’s possible to do wrong, including the DA.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update.

And sounds like 90.5 2HD will never see the light of day ever again.

4 Likes

The music is generally part of the programming. This is evident with the hosts announcing the song that just played. All NEW FM would be doing is inserting the station IDs and commercials.

3 Likes

That’s changed, then - certainly wasn’t the case when KTM was first introduced to syndication

1 Like

I’m not quite sure that’s right. Tonight on KTJ NewFM played an 80s track. I’m pretty sure BOG picks their own music for these shows, as too would Grant stations that take the show.

As I’ve said many times in the past, I wonder what Kyle would say if he knew BOG were playing his Hour of Power interviews with the Kardashians and Bieber, going into a Cold Chisel song?

5 Likes

Yes, I can’t imagine KIIS ever playing a Chisel song, except possibly that “Getting The Band Back Together” song from last year.

4 Likes

Something funny’s going on there, cause having a look at some of the logs for different stations that take KTM? (KTJ now I guess) and they do not match up at all.

5 Likes

Sorry guys, I am wrong. NEW FM doesn’t take the show LIVE and airs a very edited version of the show, giving them the opportunity to make it “theirs”. In general syndicated live feeds are done like I described (in the past anyway). Sorry for the incorrect info in regards to this one.

5 Likes

Live shows have music embedded. This is how SCA typically do their syndication.

Nova supply the edited version for syndication. They cut out the parts where songs are announced and sometimes other segments. The individual segments are then provided for local insertion around whatever songs/timings the local station likes. That is why the regions air KTJ an hour later.

ARN use a combination of these methods internally. I’m not familiar with their current arrangements, but when Will and Woody started it went 100% live including music to Melbourne and Sydney, with Brisbane and Adelaide getting an edited feed minus the song announcements/time calls and separate bits calling the local station names for for local playlists to be used. In Brisbane the show was on about a 15 minute delay (at least during the winter months) to allow time for this editing and to make sure different song timings didn’t catch up so much time that the next segment wasn’t ready. Obviously not such a problem in Adelaide.

5 Likes

Was the same arrangements for Hughesy & Kate.

Perth currently get the same treatment, but the show is hacked to bits (I think there’s only like 3 breaks that make it to air within the 5-6pm hour). Nova was also conservative when it came to KTM: I’ve heard of a few below-the-belt bits from Tim or Marty being cut before the show aired over west.

3 Likes

Unless they redo it properly at the Axicom Site where ACMA planned it to be from, yes you’re probably right.

I’ve checked on the DA today, & it was Refused at the LMCC Meeting last Monday, so they’ll have to appeal, not sure if they can re-lodge another DA (but then they didn’t answer the questions the council wanted to know last time, so doubt they would again), or pull it all down.

I wonder if ACMA can pull the 90.5 frequency from 2HD & give it to someone else?
There’s no use it or lose it clause for commercial stations frequencies, but I don’t know if any money changed hands & it’s actually 2HD’s to keep?

ACMA varied the LAP & approved it’s use for 2HD, but a licence for it has never been granted or approved & considering 2HD operated it unlicensed, & ACMA intervened & had it shut down, maybe ACMA can confiscate it on those grounds?

5 Likes

Give it to Grant, reallocate it to Muswellbrook, power it with the same specs as Power FM, move them to 90.5 and convert 2NM as 98.1FM.

I can dream, can’t I? :smile::smile::smile:

5 Likes

A guy called Paul Rothapfel who plays at venues around Newcastle under the name of ROX just appeared on 87.8 FM after 1pm yesterday.

I think he may have been on 1629 before.

3 Likes

Anyone know the program guide for FM 104.7 Clarence Valley? Website is down

2 Likes