Newcastle Radio

Noticed that KOFM don’t take the Saturday NRL show nor the Saturday afternoon game. Scaled back the coverage which I find pretty poor in a major Rugby League city. Also they advertised Friday nights game but never played it. Last year they even took the Rush Hour on Friday and Monday nights.

According to their Facebook page, KOFM has brought back “The 9-5 No Repeat Workday” as from today. I’m not sure if it also applies to other stations that take the Gold Coast log (ie. the “Greatest Hits from the 80s to Now” format), but if it doesn’t, could it possibly mean that KO now has its own separate music log for the first time since 2013? :confused:

KO is on its own log as of today - also available to other stations if they so wish to take it.

yes I’ve had this argument as well, but they want to focus more on the music.

1 Like

That’s good to know, thanks. :slightly_smiling:

So that means for the first time since late November (which up to that time KO had “Real Music Variety” whilst 2GO had the “Greatest Hits”), KO now has a different music log to that of 2GO, providing listeners that can get both stations a choice of music formats/playlists. That’s good for format diversity, which even though they broadcast in different markets, both can be heard into each other’s markets.

3SR FM in Shepparton is bringing back the “The 9 to 5 No Repeat Workday” from tomorrow as well :smile:

Billy might be taking KO’s log.

Gold Coast log is now 9-5 no repeats as well. 3SR will remain on GC

1 Like

Got to stream for NRL coverage now or listen to ABC. I reckon Newcastle needs better coverage of NRL as a whole. No continuous call team and now no Triple M NRL which both I do like to listen too especially the Sunday show on triple m. I know there’s logistics behind 2GB and they have no way to get their show into Newcastle unless your lucky to pick up 2NM.

I thought KOFM had their own callers for Knights games?

they do, but Mike Byrne has decided that we don’t need to hear the Triple M guys from midday, just the games itself. Which stinks.

Ah roger, I see what you mean. I generally hate sports talkback but I find the guys on MMM gel really well. So much so I won’t flick to Mix anymore.

Agree Mark, Byrne does a great job but I think he’s made the wrong decision in this sense. White was good in a way as he was a league man. Byrne a music man ahaha

Mike would tell you he’s “a ratings man” :smiley:

We’ll see.

I’m comfortable to stream the Ms, but I just think that Newcastle, with a team in the NRL, should have more coverage.

Let’s be honest Mark, there probably won’t be a difference in ratings either way and I would’ve thought you would get better ratings with the full on league coverage. better for advertisers too.

I can tell you this - KO lost a lot of females Saturday and Sunday and didn’t get enough blokes on board to compensate.

I understand their reasoning, I just think they should have taken a “shit sandwich” so to speak because the Knights are part of the competition.

Really, I’d say they’d lose female listeners but I though plenty of blokes would compensate. I still reckon the money the could make in ads over the coverage would be better than with music. Balancing act in radio you can get more ads in but charge more with the better ratings plus it looks more attractive with higher ratings. But I can’t imagine their position would change in the ratings table so to speak. KO have had the rights to NRL in Newcastle since 2005 I believe and they’ve had 2GB on the weekends before Triple M started covering the NRL full time. But I’m not the content director that’s Mikes job.

I haven’t been able to keep up with what if any Rugby League show is on commercial radio in Newcastle this year.

On Sundays I’ve stuck to AT40s from the 70s on 2NUR FM. They’ve had those on since 2008 so wonder if they have all of them from that decade

2HD has a league show from 2SM I believe, seem to me KO have triple M’s league show when they want to, changes every week

Hearing Money for nothing a fair bit on KO. Great song.

And am I the only one that finds Kez to be annoying in some breaks.