Newcastle Radio

ABC Newcastle’s drive presenter, Aaron Kearney, who had just taken over the role at the beginning of this year, has left the broadcaster. Paul Turton will temporarily take over the role.

Source: Radioinfo

2 Likes

I was hoping for news on 2HD’s Lake Mac translator, FM 90.5 being on air, but alas.

1 Like

Jill Emberson, who presents mornings on ABC Newcastle, will join around 30 women who will gather on Hunter Street, Newcastle this Wednesday (May 8) in pink and teal dresses to highlight the disparity in funding between breast and ovarian cancer.

1 Like
3 Likes

ACMA radio register has new listings for Liddell Mine, NSW, in the ‘Swiss cheese’ mining area of Muswellbrook/Singleton.

The frequencies & allocations are similar to the recent Bulga Mine allocations.

89.3 2NM
90.1 2HVR (ABC Local)
90.9 2JJJ

Transmitter radiated power for Liddell Mine allocations is 50 Watts directed mainly to the north.

I wonder if these are now on air?

1 Like

Interesting, almost the same as Bulga except with 2NM on 89.3 instead of Power FM.

1 Like

No surprise here, creditors want $80 000 as internet radio again proves it usually is not a profitable business:

The question has to be asked, what external marketing did this online stream do? I bet as much as Bill.

3 Likes

When will they learn!? DAB and web only stations are not a viable business.

Just look at the much larger networks (eg SCA, Nova & ARN) and see what strategies they need to implement in order to make a dollar for them.

3 Likes

Hit1069’s Jess Farchione and Simon Baggs are in this vid https://www.facebook.com/601104799976606/posts/2288926491194420?sfns=mo

1 Like

What’s happened to the Little a? Has he retired or just away?

1 Like

New FM are in the lookout for a new Nights announcer: https://www.radioinfo.com.au/jobs/newfm-nights-announcer

2 Likes

Would be great to finally have a dedicated nights annnouncer on Bill’s FM network. Used to be staffed round the clock outside of bfast for the various requirements of the varying market sizes and commercial success (or lack thereof).

Hopefully having a Sandgate based nights annnouncer will allow for customised voice breaks for NEW. It’s been far too long, likely back when Newcastle was Australia’s sixth largest city instead of the seventh it is now. Perhaps @Allan016 was in the market then?

Don’t get your hopes up. It is Bill after all.

It’ll most likely be Operations Manager and voicetrack nights all during the daytime hours. I can’t imagine someone having to do extended hours on Bill’s watch.

But I do agree. A semi-live nights announcer would be a brilliant move not only for NewFM but also the regional network. An 80s to Now Request Fest would be amazing!

3 Likes

Hello @crankymedia. When I was in Newcastle the night show on NewFM was from Pyrmont. I do remember sitting in the corner of the studio with one of their shows (sorry can’t remember the guys name). When I was there 2HD was almost 100% local (except Graeme Gilbert 7pm-12pm & country show from Tamworth). I think it’ll be great to see a night show back in Newcastle. Who will fill the spot? Maybe an up and coming talent from SCA regional? Going off the recent survey figures maybe getting rid of Mike Byrne from SCA is a bad thing?

AA.

1 Like

Let’s not get our hopes up. I highly doubt it’ll be a dedicated Newcastle night shift.

It’ll likely be the same as their weekday/weekend strategy. Same logs, same jock, only a little more effort and branding put into the Newcastle feed.

And as I mentioned earlier, I wouldn’t even be surprised if it’s all prerecorded during the day.

3 Likes

ABC Newcastle morning presenter Jill Emberson’s fight against ovarian cancer will feature on Australia Story next Monday night.

1 Like

@thesub1 I agree with you. I highly doubt they won’t be doing any local radio in Newcastle.

I think it’ll be a network show to Bills stations but using Newcastle studios. Has night-time radio died? I remember when night radio was ‘it’. Showing my age here.

AA.

4 Likes

This is only second hand news, & I haven’t seen any evidence if the antenna on the tower yet, but I believe the 2HD translator at Belmont North is currently under construction?

4 Likes

That’s exciting, for me anyway, since I have LOS to the TX.

At last!

Surprised at the slow pace from approval/gazettal to commissioning.