Newcastle Radio

Read the bit I put in bold, and recommend you do so.

1 Like

KOFM not taking the Triple M footy shows, again…

Big mistake, especially after last night’s result in Newcastle!!

1 Like

apparently a music shift goes better. Even if they took just Sunday it’s better than the same flogged music.

Steve G on the Grill team this morning calling about the big sporting weekend in Newcastle.

1 Like

If 2HD/New FM were up for sale, pretty much almost everyone would be in the running to buy the stations.

The possible candidates are:

• ARN
  • Nova Entertainment
  • EON Broadcasting
  • Capital Radio Network (“Forever Classic 2HD” anyone?)
  • WIN

Grant Broadcasters wouldn’t be able to buy the stations due to having a 30%+ overlap with the Muswellbrook licence area, where they already own 2NM/Power FM.

2 Likes

No loss there, as they’d be the first to rule out due to their inability to handle competition be it direct or indirect.

Nova under current ownership another to rule out. If it was DMG with Paul Thompson leading, add to the list to consider. Lachie however would find a way to slash and burn further.

1 Like

At one time I would’ve liked a Nova run station in Newcastle, but we essentially have that with Star104.5 Gosford.

ARN I’m not too fussed on, though they do a good job in Brisbane with 97.3 & 4KQ.

EON are doing a good job with 2CH Sydney, though I believe the Macquarie network ties are holding them back, & similarly on the Sunshine Coast with SCA ties/agreements.

I’d love to see Capital Radio take over in Newie, big YES for Forever Classic 2HD, & NEWFM to go the way of SnowFM/EagleFM.

How would Greg Burns do in Newcastle?

1 Like

Why not someone new? You know, someone that isn’t Nova, or ARN, or EON, or Capital, or WIN, or Macquarie?

2 Likes

You maybe?

I can see it now…

Cranky FM, where there’s never a dull moment.

There’s not enough mental institutions or resting places for the amount of people that would either go nuts or kill themselves upon my voice. :rofl:

But seriously, new entrants need to be given priority for any new licenses or ones being put up for sale. It’ll never happen I know, but comments made in the Random Radio thread (the last ones by RFBurns and Brianc68) hit the nail on the head.

If we let the existing operators buy 2HD and New FM, I can tell you exactly what would happen:

ARN - 2HD becomes Gold/WSFM satellite, New FM becomes KIIS
Nova Entertainment - 2HD maybe left alone, New FM becomes Nova
EON Broadcasting - 2HD becomes 2CH satellite, New FM maybe left alone
Capital Radio Network - probably the least unfavorable of the bunch if they don’t form a joint venture with Grants and combine 2NM and Power FM into it. Both would be left alone to some extent. A CRN/Grant joint venture would wipe out 2NM/Power FM.
WIN - left alone, but would be nice to see if WIN starts a much needed competitor to NBN News based out of the 2HD/New FM news dept.
Macquarie - 2HD becomes 2GB satellite. New FM left alone.

Now, I know people would be saying, no they won’t do that, but the pessimist inside of me says, yes they bloody would do that. If there is money to be made by boning people left, right and centre, they’ll do it.

At least if an independent company comes in, preferably backed and run by people from Newcastle, who can stand out and say, we’re 100% Newcastle, compared to every other operator in the area who is own and/or run out of Sydney, could use the 100% local aspect as a great promotional and operational background. That is a better outcome.

What’s not to say that KOFM and (S)Hit FM won’t be run be 100% out of Sydney in a few years with SFA local presence. NBN/Nine probably will be, including news production I’d guess. How long before the Herald gets the arse from Fairfax? WIN and Prime don’t do crap in the area, and sadly that won’t change. The only local would be the ABC, and that’s if more funding isn’t removed. That would actually be a shame.

2 Likes

Well, considering that 2HD is an AM station as opposed to being on FM (apart from the fact that they have an FM translator at Port Stephens), I think they would have a more “Classic Hits” format similar to 4KQ/Cruise (which is more 60s/70s based), rather than a “Pure Gold” format like WS/Gold (which is more 80s/90s based).

Having a “Classic Hits” station in Newcastle/Hunter, whoever a new owner of 2HD might be (apart from maybe Macquarie), would fill the gap nicely in between KO & 2NUR.

Hate to tell you fine folk, but the fact is that SCA is trying to buy Caralis and has had offers out for ages. They would sell 2HD and NEW to another useless mob like the Camerons, to blunt competition and continue on their merry way, but with stations right through from Melbourne to Cairns and some nice little markets in the west of the state.

The goal is to have the highway coverage on the east coast fully covered by SCA

1 Like

Seriously - both should be told to f**k off.

2 Likes

Why would it be a shame? Their content is a joke. It’s focussed on a very narrow audience target, I’m surprised it has any sizeable audience, the only reason for it is due to the poor standard of the commercial offerings.

ABC would clean up in Newcastle if they widened their content to what the majority of locals are talking and thinking about.

This is exactly what NEW FM should program, ditch the network feed, run a local log and completely separate local program to hollow out KO and most likely 2NUR. Of course, too much effort for Bill.

Yes, this is true. Great to point that out, thanks @Richo. Has been since RG Capital days. Tim Hughes, Rhys Holleran were always keen on buying Caralis.

It’s always made me wonder what deals were done for SCA not to buy Midwest Radio from the receivers.

Because its not the sole duty of the taxpayer to provide a local service that’s actually meant to be done by and large by the commercial sector. That is what I am afraid of if these companies are allowed to buy more and more of each other.

I don;t trust the commercial sector to do anything properly anymore. The regulators are toothless tigers. If they had any guts, SCA would be told, in all frankness - to fuck off. If I could, I’d literally tell them to fuck off, and use those exact words. Barred from buying anymore. I’d even go as far as telling the Camerons and Caralis to sell off some stations if situation change. Near total domination of the eastern seaboard by one company, with little to no competition in the areas of which they’re serving - that is not good for anyone.

2 Likes

I’d like to see a reach rule in radio, or at least one that prevents ownership of stations in adjacent markets.

But given the reach rule in TV is or has been abolished, it’s unlikely to be introduced for radio.

4 Likes

2HD wants 90.5 translator into Belmont North

https://www.acma.gov.au/theACMA/changes-to-the-newcastle-lap

3 Likes

Emboldened by their Toowoomba success the Bill and Al caravan of quasi conversion rolls into Australia’s seventh largest market.

Under ACMA’s heading Discussion of proposal, the reasons given are all very similar to what has happened surrounding most urban AM sites.

Applying this logic, why did 4BC go to considerable expense to shift sites and to a less favourable site. No FM infill. ACMA was quite clear none would be offered.

Homebush Bay sites have development within the drop zone of AM masts. Significant absorption of ground wave.

ACMA imply modifications to the existing site are impractical or won’t resolve the coverage deficiencies. On what grounds? Install TX capable of an appropriate power increase during the day, review what is required at night.

Appendix A

The map is curious. Both the CRC and ITU predictions show coverage stops well before the 2.5 mV/m contour and there’s more of the licence area to go, including plenty of highway coverage missed on the F3.

Appendix C

In other directions, looking at outlying towns; Buladelah, Dungog, Singleton, Paxton and valleys of the Hunter in between, coverage must not be too good in those locations either. Urban noise within towns and surrounding industry, over 100km of highway and byway coverage missed too, esp at night.

Other thoughts

This proposal needs to find a different allocation that is not a Sydney sub metro allocation. ACMA’s suggestion of an advisory note that it’ll be interference limited to 60 dBμV/m. Find a clear channel, postpone this until the whole region is reallocated.

If 2HD need infill here, they’ll need one later for the F3 region I described plus the other areas. Port Stephens already on air. Very inefficient use of spectrum.

Beyond the scope
Market priced FM conversion cost. Old NBN 3 audio carrier and clear the rest either side.

Create a mechanism of recent sale multiples commensurate to market size, market revenue or actual comparable station revenue. Choose one or all objects. Open process. No excuses of ‘commercial in confidence’ to hide behind. Good luck with the latter.

1 Like