New Zealand TV

I’m actually really curious to hear the reason. It’s just so weird.

yeah I keep thinking about plausible scenarios and can’t really think of one.

I don’t watch Shorty myself but they did used to do one-hour Mondays in NZ over winter. Probably unlikely since we are now in August but was this episode maybe originally marked as a one hour/double episode but TVNZ 2 had a change of plan?

2 Likes

I contacted SBS no response . Is that normal for a show to air in Australia before it airs in the original country? Doesn’t that happen with US shows sometimes?

1 Like

With Give is a clue airing 7.30 Wednesday’s on TVNZ 1 making it wonder if TVNZ are going to do more comedies for 1 which is lacking at the moment

1 Like

I’m surprised that they’re running My Life Is Murder ay 9pm Monday’s when they have so many international shows filling earlier timeslots.

8:30. Isn’t it?

1 Like

You’re right, sorry.

Still surprising they’d schedule first run local content in later time slots with so many imports in earlier slots through the week.

Is 8.30 late? Fair go and Border Patrol are local shows and provide a strong lead in.

On a side note: Latest ratings from Monday wasn’t so good for local drama as both were out rated by UK import The Undateables:

1 Like

Not surprised the audience was a bit fragmented with two Kiwi dramas going head to head at the same time, though I’m surprised about TVNZ2 taking the lead however in that timeslot. Audiences sure are fickle sometimes.

I watched The Block NZ then switched over to My Life is Murder before sticking around for 20/20, which I’m surprised they still bother to locally intro - does that count towards something (local points etc) for them by doing that?

1 Like

I wouldn’t bother either with a local intro for what is predominantly American crime stories on 20/20 but it does rate for them. NZ TV has no local content quotas so it wouldn’t count for anything other than trying to localize it on the cheap. Maybe My Life should of moved to Tuesday or Friday where it did reasonably well for TVNZ 1. I like the local drama Headhigh and hope it finds a decent audience for a season 3 renewal.

1 Like
1 Like

Hi All, for those involved in the Shortland Street discussion it appears SBS have worked it out.

There will be NO episode TONIGHT.

The show will return as normal tomorrow.

3 Likes

Wtf. Still perplexing how this can possibly happen and not be picked up, what are they airing in its place?

They should probably just have run the same episode again with a crawler message, or a repeat in the same time slot.

2 Likes

A double episode of The Joy of Painting.

1 Like

Another case of what little local drama NZ has being put up against each other. I enjoy Head High and glad it was back for another season.

My Life Is Murder is obviously back as it had international interest via the Acorn streaming platform. I think TVNZ are a minor partner in the show but the second season definitely not driven by the NZ market itself.

NZ on Air monitor (or they were) local content and report it but not a requirement. I think 20/20 was given a reduction in what a local show would otherwise get, but that was when it produced at least one NZ story a week. So that was a while ago now.

1 Like

oh gawd… zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

1 Like

If no episode of Shortland St was shown, is what is showing as Ep 195 on SBS on Demand last nights episode?

Showing as unwatched for me.

Starts with Dawn Samira and Prince.

Yep it appears tomorrow’s episode has been uploaded to SBS OD.

Haha they’ve still stuffed up.

1 Like

Work experience kid let loose.

1 Like

I wonder if it’s more about giving Carolyn Robinson a presenting role - unfortunately under-utilised at TVNZ.

1 Like