New Zealand TV

Is the NZ national TV ad market worth less than the Sydney or Melbourne market ?

An interesting side point to this would be that there is no advertising on Sundays before Midday so any show that goes to air on Sundays you’d need to take into consideration that any ad breaks would likely only be 1min or 1min30 as it would be just promos.

They should lobby to change that law

Geez whats next, Jono and Ben go shearing. They should have stayed at three

1 Like

Let the kids have their ad-free What Now

2 Likes

Jono and Ben are well past their used by dates. Should have stayed at Hauraki and should have finished TV when their tv3 show was cancelled.

2 Likes

Pass. But you’re not getting many non-agency ads. I can’t speak for how that differs in Australia.

Yep, that law needs to be changed but it’s one of those ones where it falls into the “if it’s not broke, why fix it.” The TV broadcasters don’t seem to be overly pushing for change, even though radio can broadcast ads on Sunday mornings.

The last time I can recall talk around it changing was the 2007 Rugby World Cup when TV3 had the rights and a lot of games fell on Sunday morning…

2 Likes

They never quite made it to Hauraki remember, they were shifted to The Hits Breakfast instead. I enjoyed their tv show on Three but haven’t been the least bit interested in what they have done since.

I would argue they are carving out a niche as ‘Daggy Dad’s’ these days, possibly to future proof their careers. Their breakfast radio show on a female oriented station and recent TV offerings would indicate so.

2 Likes

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/300275881/tvnz-backlash-grows-after-popstars-replaces-fair-go-this-is-a-joke

Howard claimed the night’s ratings of 774,500 viewers across the two networks proved “lots of our audience members enjoyed the event-style debut”.

On TVNZ 1, 544,400 people watched Popstars , while the show reached 288,300 viewers on TVNZ 2.

I think for 2021, the ratings were pretty good for a reality debut. Lets see how many hang on for night 2!

2 Likes

I watched the first episode live. And it was boring. Not the worst show out there, but extremely boring nontheless.

There was plenty of good talent on the show, sure, but it was just good after good, with no bad ones in between to mix it up a bit. I like to watch BGT, AGT and American Idol during the auditions stage so I can see who to root for and who I can have a private laugh/cringe about. Popstars has none of that. Every contestant is a ‘maybe’.

They’re trying to reinvent the Popstars formula and it just isn’t working for me. Don’t expect it to come back for a third season.

1 Like

How come we don’t see NZ news on tv here in Australia, SBS has news from France, Netherlands, Germany etc but rebroadcasting the news here it seems not.

3 Likes

Doesn’t NITV air the one for Maori Television (Te Aao I think it’s called or something like that)?

1 Like

To an extent that’s because of where they sit on the world map but also the role they play in world affairs and their outlook on world events. New Zealand is not really that influential or with a different language.

8 Likes

From an Australian perspective, most of the really big/important stories which happen in New Zealand (usually only those which in some way affect us though) are covered adequately during our own TV news bulletins but that’s about it really.

Content rights and time constraints are probably the main reason why there isn’t a bulletin from NZ as part of SBS World Watch.

2 Likes

The “Auckland Glass” ad is coming to an end after screening on TVNZ for over 25 years, the longest running advert in NZ:

5 Likes

Bout the only ad that still has a mention of the yellow pages? What about that lifeline ad? I see that once or twice a year late at night on tv 3 or 2?

4 Likes

Pretty sure that’s still on air, but not on TVNZ channels.

It’s almost Three’s equivalent of goodnight kiwi, before they clock off for the night with infomercials.

2 Likes

And Rhys Darby has been announced as one of the guessing panellists on the show.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/124852231/rhys-darby-to-join-the-masked-singer-nz-as-guessing-panellist

3 Likes

Was interesting to see Hillbilly Child (TVNZ 1’s Country Calendar theme song) used in Three’s latest TVC for New Zealand Today

1 Like