New Zealand TV

Yeah, I found the background music was way too loud and the vocal tracks quieter than usual… but that was only during The Chase. Might have something to do with TVNZ’s wee episode yesterday afternoon… it wiped both +1 channels off my satellite box, as in removed them, rather than a blank screen. Strange.

1 Like

They had a server fire from what I read on the Freeview Facebook page that affected the transmission gear.

2 Likes

New local drama series Head High debuted to just 89,000 viewers last Sunday on Three!

Fortunately it managed 102,200 more for its repeat screening on Wednesday which will be its regular time slot.

Heres more info on how bad it did and how it wasn’t helped by TVNZ 1’s Chaser spinoff:
https://www.screenscribe.net/hd-ratings-chasers-unbeaten-head-high-flunks/

Forcing Three to try and relaunch it:
https://www.screenscribe.net/three-to-relaunch-head-high/

And the end result was:
https://www.screenscribe.net/hd-ratings-too-many-cooks/

1 Like

MasterChef’s defeat of BB in major demographics on premiere night was a reverse of what happened in Australia, when BB beat MC on June 8.

Not sure if it is ok to post about Sky Tv on this thread but just seen this pop up on the Sky Box tonight on Channel 100 “Nick Music” with the EPG currently showing “Nick Music: Starts Tomorrow”
It appears it launches at 6am tomorrow morning as that is the first listed shows of “Nick Music” with the info “Welcome to Nick Music. we’re Bringing you the best kid-friendly music of the moment 24/7”

2 Likes
1 Like

Big Brother Bumped

2 Likes

Spark Sport last week signed a new 4-year rights deal with England and Wales Cricket Board, which will cover all international and domestic cricket matches played in England under the authority of ECB, including the Black Caps tour of England in 2022.
https://www.screenscribe.net/hot-off-the-press-release-spark-sport/

2 Likes

At least NZ audiences can recognise a steaming pile of turd when they see it, I am not surprised by this.

Content wise it seems Three is in a similar position to that of our Channel 10 (maybe in the past, moreso than of late) with relying on similar content to fill gaps - especially repeats.

3 Likes

Damn… wasnt expecting this came out tonight. :open_mouth:
1 Like

It’s sounding pretty certain that Discovery has bought Three: Stuff

Discovery, together with one of its shareholders, owns All3Media, which in turn owns South Pacific Pictures – New Zealand’s largest TV production company.
SPP produces Shortland Street and it is possible, although not very likely, that Discovery might want the soap to screen on Three.

Imagine that…

Discovery has shown that it knows how to operate FTA channels and if it launches its AVOD service Dplay here, its very deep pockets will worry TVNZ.

Hope they do launch a decent streaming service, ThreeNow has always been rubbish and finally they could compete with TVNZ OD.

8 Likes

Does this mean Bravo will rebrand to align with its new ownership? Like you I’m glad they have an owner who will finally invest in their shocking ondemand service.

Local content will be the only way to make an improvement for Three and hopefully Discovery are prepared to invest more in it. Cheap inventory from Discovery will reduce some of the costs but won’t make any dent in primetime.

5 Likes

I still can’t understand why Disco would want it. They have a smattering of FTA networks, mainly in Scandinavia, are increasing the footprint of HGTV throughout Europe and that’s about it. Why buy +HR=E etc, when they’ve already got Choice & HGTV to tempt people to pick up pay-tv streams?

It would make more sense for ViacomCBS to buy it, or (heaven forbid) a management-style buyout ala Stuff.

Has The Spinoff adding anything lately to the speculation, last I heard they reckoned the mystery buyer wasn’t Disco?

2 Likes

I agree that it would’ve made more sense to ViacomCBS to acquire the network if the deal was worth it to add to their ANZ portfolio of networks, distribution of their content and assist with the roll out of their new global streaming product in the near future.

4 Likes

Ok, so The Edge TV has been back for a couple months now and there are still a couple things that need fixed/changed.

1. The song title graphic: These only appear at the very start of the song for a couple seconds so if you blink you’ll miss it. Also the graphics that they use currently look like a rip-off of the previous graphics. (Old graphics here) The current ones are way too big and have no animation.

2. The playlist is very repetitive: Before The Edge TV turned into an HD streaming service last year, there was a wider variety of music being played and the channel had scheduled shows that would play certain music (e.g. Top 10, Gym Bangers). Now there is only one “show” which plays a mediocre variety of music and a Top 5 countdown which plays random songs which pops up every once in a while.

3. The videos are downloaded from YouTube: This is only a minor problem but a lot of there videos have clearly been downloaded from YouTube which I find weird since Mediaworks did previously have a partnership with Vevo.

I know that Mediaworks probably only brought the channel back because it was low maintenance but it is so dissapointing to see a great music channel turned into something that is so poorly maintained.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree with you on all of those points they are very valid. I wonder if some of these will be addressed, particularly graphics, once The Edge is broadcasting from the new Hargreaves building.

2 Likes

Is there anyway to watch NZ tv in Australia?