New Zealand TV

Honestly Labour could of done the most smallest thing and just reinstated the money for TVNZ 6 & 7 and rebuild what was lost after their closures but alas it wasn’t meant to be and that stalled attempt at RNZ+ also contributed to them promising something and delivering nothing.

1 Like

RNZ+ was Clare Curran’s baby, and after she was dismissed as Broadcasting Minister, the government abandoned the idea.

I always thought a good compromise would have been to make TV1 ad-free, funded by a new advertising levy, and keeping TV2 as a commercial entity, maybe selling it off. But alas. We shall see none of that under a National government. :innocent:

3 Likes

But there’s nothing to sell off. It would just be a couple of Freeview LCNs. Who would do the playout, who would sell the ads, how would you split the rights to programmes? You’d have to negotiate carriage on all the transmitters and satellite… it would be an absolute prick of a job to unstitch now.

2 Likes

“Honestly Labour could of done the most smallest thing and just reinstated the money for TVNZ 6 & 7”

Yep, I would have been happy with that. I enjoyed watching 6 and 7 when they first came out. Unfortunately the funding ran out in 2012, and it all got chopped.

3 Likes

I agree now is not the time to sell off TV2 (which is TVNZ 2 now) because it would cause chaos, the best time to do this should be around 1986 when somebody suggested an commercial free TV One and selling off TV2. If that happened in my hypothetical situation the channel would be owned by Nine Entertainment Co and TV2 would be the most watched channel in New Zealand and TV One would have lower ratings by public service obligations that meet certain programming requirements that help transfer ad revenue to the newly privatised TV2 and new competitor TV3.

Ad free TV1+ commercial TV2 but remaining under a single entity is the way to go. National fucking hate public broadcasting in all forms though. Very sad all round.

2 Likes

Nice idea as we could see through change if Jacinda Ardern has not resigned in January, anyway National would reverse this change because National supporters are not fans of a Ad-free public service channel here in NZ

1 Like

Finally got around to doing a montage of the new Three end boards and end credit squeeze.

8 Likes

Media release from Sky:

Sky Board terminates NBIO discussions

On 13 October 2023 Sky Network Television (Sky) announced that it had received a highly conditional, non-binding preliminary expression of interest from a third party to acquire all of the shares in Sky (NBIO).

The NBIO was highly preliminary, incomplete and confidential, and Sky only made the disclosure in order to respond to enquiries as to the current status of Sky’s buyback programme, which the Board had not recommenced following release of Sky’s FY23 results due to its receipt of the NBIO.

Yesterday Sky received an updated NBIO from the third party (which remained highly conditional and non-binding), proposing a transaction at a value range which falls short of the Board’s view of the fair intrinsic value of Sky and, based on recent unsolicited feedback, the view of a number of Sky’s institutional shareholders.

The Board has advised the third party accordingly, and has ended discussions in respect of the NBIO.

In light of its termination of NBIO discussions, the Board has resolved to recommence the share buyback programme on the same terms as were announced at the commencement of the programme on 31 March 2023.

2 Likes

It will be available on TVNZ+ at 2.01pm NZ time today.

5 Likes

New FAST Channels coming to ThreeNow…

11 Likes

Now that’s what I like to see with FAST channels. Hopefully they’ve got a good selection of films on the Sphere.

2 Likes

West family sagas sounds good to me

1 Like

Season 19 of The Block Australia premieres on Three this Sunday (November 19) at 7pm, continuing Mondays-Wednesdays at 7.30pm.

2 Likes

TVNZ Upfronts, as reported on Screenscribe today.
Same shittake, different year.

3 Likes

Hey, is the site down for anyone else or is it just me? Keeps throwing privacy errors at me.

1 Like

have a look at the general info thread - can’ t remember what its called ,there’s b3n an issue with security certs on the site mentioned there. Near the bottom of all the threads on the main page.

1 Like

No new news or current affairs developments I see - why bother trying to do something better when you can keep serving up the same garbage I guess.

4 Likes

Pretty much. Unfortunately, there isn’t much of an appetite for current affairs, or at least, the sales reps can’t find anyone to advertise during them. Their PR dept’s probably get easily spooked.
Although, that doesn’t seem to matter so much during Fair Go.

2 Likes

That is why we needed the merger. No idea why so many pushed back on it. Must have a vested insterest in the status quo (share holders in companies that produce reality garbage)

3 Likes