New Zealand TV

always seemed like an unnecessary half step - I can see the idea but given they were an intermediary only (not selling the content themselves) most people would have just got Chromecasts etc.

1 Like

I got one years ago and returned it straight away. Pure rubbish.

Tried to install one a few years ago. It never seemed to connect at all and we never got a replacement for it. The ability to pay for only the channels you wanted seemed pretty neat though.

1 Like

Surprised they didnā€™t partner with Fetch and brought it to NZ.

4 Likes

I actually really enjoy my Vodafone tbh. The recording facility works really well for me (although very few TV3 shows provide the option, so itā€™s mostly just TVNZ). And I love how you can fast forward and rewind so quickly. Picture and playback quality miles better than OnDemand or ThreeNow and you donā€™t have to sit through the ads.

Iā€™m bloody pissed off about something I spent good money on being switched off like this.

2 Likes

I have it and it work very good. Itā€™s a shame is going

1 Like

I do wonder if the FTA networks threatened to withdraw their signal given how easy it is to avoid the ads.

Also wonder if itā€™s a ploy to get the Commerce Commission to agree to the another attempt at a Vodafone-Sky merge.

2 Likes

Freeview Ondemand is closing, such a stupid move from our only combined FTA platform. We need regulation.

1 Like

I donā€™t think ā€œdumpā€ is the right word. Neighbours currently airs at 6pm weeknights on TVNZ2. Next month it moves to TVNZ1 albeit in the earlier timeslot of 4.30pm weekdays.

The last new episode of Neighbours to be shown on TVNZ2 is this Thursday, December 16.

5 Likes

I agree. If anything Iā€™d say the ratings will probably lift

2 Likes

@JohnsonTV Neighbours is watched by more people in the UK than its native Australia, and is the only Australian soap to be produced all year round as part of a multi-year agreement between Fremantle (the soapā€™s producers) and Britainā€™s Channel 5.

As a result of poor ratings in New Zealand, Neighbours will move to the earlier timeslot of 4.30pm on TVNZ 1 from next month (10 January 2022).

Hmm, Iā€™m in two minds about this. Similar to Vodafone TV, the TVNZ OD/Three Now apps are so prevalent in the market Iā€™m not sure take up would have been huge on this. Regardless, annoying for those who do use it.

Iā€™m intrigued to see what TVNZ2 will replace it with

3 Likes

Probably Big Bang repeats, or, and imagine this, 1news live at 6pm on both channelsā€¦:rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

I dunno about regulation, the main FTA networks gave it a crack without govt. intervention, and obviously uptake wasnā€™t strong enough to justify it (given TVNZ bailed out first).

I take it you used it a fair bit, Leo? I believe there are alternatives, but Iā€™m not sure if theyā€™re plug-and-play or if you need a device in between etc. Thereā€™s a few Geekzone members who seem to have a handle on that sort of thing, if youā€™re looking for a replacement. Donā€™t rush, youā€™ve got about twelve months!

Just to help clarification, Neighbours this years stops its year round deal in the UK.

Reruns of The Big Bang Theory will fill the 6pm slot, preceded by The Simpsons (at 5pm) and Friends (at 5.30pm), according to TVNZā€™s ratecards.

Speaking of Neighbours, @Jaggy2409, you are right. But just recently, a spokesperson from Channel 5 confirmed that Neighbours episodes will continue airing five times a week in 2022, while 10 Peach will be keeping the episodes at four, putting the UK ahead of Australia.

The show returns from its Christmas break on 3 January in both the UK and Australia with the same episode. This means that Channel 5 will be ahead beginning on 7 January.

10 Peach declined to comment.

2 Likes

Someone said Friends moving into 6pm slot, why they putting Neighbours on older skewing TVNZ 1 when is a youth skewing that reminds of 2007 where it was put into a lead in to the struggling 6pm news around that time, then pushed pack early afternoon and eventually back to TVNZ 2

I feel like that itā€™s more of an older-skewing soap compared to its counterpart Home and Away. Moving it to TV1 over low ratings makes sense as it targets the same kind of audience Emmerdale does.

3 Likes

Coronation Street had become too youth skewed in recent years but while retaining the older audience through older characters