New Zealand TV

With the lockdown at Level 4 in Auckland will they need to cut back episodes of Shortland Street per week on tc or stop airing it assuming they aren’t making new ones or have they filmed enough weeks in advance?

1 Like

Another factor contributing to this is lost of Home and Away in 2013, where TVNZ 2 picked it up

2 Likes

It used to go to air at 5.30pm. Nowadays, it airs at 6.30pm.

1 Like

Discovery could regain the Home and Away rights if the TVNZ/RNZ merger goes ahead and TVNZ becomes less commercial and has less money to bid on high profile international shows.

2 Likes

I don’t know if Home and Away would be the draw card for Three it was prior to 2013 anymore. TVNZ now showing it at 6:30pm would be a sign of that. The 6-7pm slot on TVNZ2 is purely programmed to offer a bare minimum alternative to the audience because TVNZ want’s them watching 1 News at that time.

5 Likes

I was thinking about this as well if Home and Away still appeals to a young demographic and would the audience return to Three and Newshub if it was on at 5.30pm. I guess will never know until it switches.

I don’t think that will be happening… there’s been plenty said in Wellington referring to the importance of TVNZ’s revenue, I doubt they’ll be going back down the “Charter” approach we saw in the early 2000’s.

If nothing’s going to change, what’s the point of merging and this will endanger commercial free RNZ.

2 Likes

I don’t think they should merge. They are on completely different paths as broadcasters and a merge only spells a mess for both.

3 Likes

NZ is too small to have multiple commercial broadcasters. TVNZ should be commercial-free to produce local content and fulfill national broadcasting duties. That would allow Three to have a fairer playing field and TVNZ wouldn’t be so ratings obsessed, and could do more daring things like Channel 4 UK. Especially if Prime ever becomes a proper channel again under a new owner, I just don’t see commercial TV being viable there unless the monopoly TVNZ has is removed for advertisers.

5 Likes

Interested to see what the governance group comes up with but I agree with this

What I can’t get my head around is the Stuff and Herald articles naming Michael Anderson as a contender for TVNZ CEO. His biggest legacy as MediaWorks CEO was selling off the TV assets to Discovery! Don’t get me wrong, the best thing for MW, but still.

2 Likes

Discovery should pinch Shortland Street from TVNZ, since Discovery owns the production company that makes it.

Then put Shortland Street on at 5:30pm.

1 Like

If Shortland Street moves to 5.30pm, the ratings will plummet.

3 Likes

Like Paddy said, Shortland Street has already carved out an audience of its own in the 7pm slot. Moving it now would be disastrous to the ratings.

1 Like

Three is bringing back its Maori wordmark “Toru” for Maori Language Week 2021

8 Likes

I like how they use it on The AM Show too, Ryan often says “On Toru. Three and Magic Talk”. Seems to be more of a regular thing than just for this week.

4 Likes

TVNZ seems to be using it sparingly, however.

They haven’t changed the logo bug for any of the channels like they did last year.

And they’re quite lenient in terms of promos.

They did it for the multi-channel schedule and the On-Demand logo but I’m not sitting through Neighbours to find them again.

3 Likes

Throughout this week, Shortland Street will use Te Reo subtitles on screen as part of Maori Language Week 2021:

4 Likes

@Horomono And the closing credits translated into te reo, too!

4 Likes

This is exactly why Discovery should take it away from TVNZ.