New Zealand TV

RTA - Radio Television Aotearoa could work.

4 Likes

I can’t see the words ‘radio’ or ‘television’ being part of the name.Or even ‘broadcasting’. Yes this is a merger of the two organisations but it’s about future proofing them into a digital world (even if I don’t really agree with the whole idea myself).
It’s not about radio or television, it’s about audio and visual. I think a new name will bring those together under one umbrella.

10 Likes

A mega Dinosaur from the duo service provider, it will be worse then current and nothing like like it’s former NZBC. It will try to be the BBC, CBC or ABC.

I wonder if they will find a larger building and have everyone in one place.

Aren’t they right next door to each other in Auckland.

Mini-series Informer 3838 premieres on TVNZ1 this Saturday (March 12) at 10.40pm. Based on the timeslot, it looks like it will air in 4 x 1 hour instalments.

10-part observational series Nurses Down Under, filmed at Sydney’s St Vincent’s Hospital, debuts on TVNZ1 next Tuesday (March 15) at 8.30pm. It was co-commissioned by Seven Network in Australia and UKTV and was axed after one season.

A couple of blocks away. Walking distance. But I suspect they’d look to rehouse everyone under TVNZ’s building perhaps.

3 Likes

Features small interview with Juliet Peterson, Senior Director of Programming from Discovery

2 Likes

TVNZ’s building is a ghost town now. Gone are the days when there were receptionists at every level, a bustling caf, and plenty more employees.

RNZ’ers would be able to fit quite snug I’d imagine.

5 Likes

Quote from the article: “Choice isn’t for me”

Who says that? Who doesn’t want choice?
So much for diversity, eh?

Kris Faafoi is set to announce the merger of TVNZ-RNZ at a press conference in matter of moments. Live stream is link above video player to watch.

2 Likes

TVNZ and RNZ to be fully merged by mid-2023; meaning there will be a new public broadcaster.

As a comparison for Australia, is this like 10 and ABC merging?

1 Like

Sort of except it’s two publicly owned entities merging. One that is strictly public service and one that currently has a commercial imperative and is required to return a dividend to the govt. The new entity will likely be something in between the two models - some commercial funding in addition to public funding, but no dividend required.

1 Like

Interesting article - I agree whether there is advertising (which is highly bothersome) on the website will be a big call.

1 Like

Timeline of what has happened and what will happen between now and when this new ‘entity’ is created.

Nope. Imagine ABC TV with ads, having been separated from the radio arm in the 1980’s, now merging into ABC Radio without ads… that’s what’s happening.

It really is just another iteration of how we used to run TV & Radio in NZ… I guess in twenty years or another Govt will separate them out again! Politicians have a long history of sticking their fingers into the media pie.

10 Likes

Now we can pretty much piece together a full weeknight lineup for Eden.

Discovery’s new HD channel Eden will launch on March 21 with a first-week schedule that will be familiar to viewers of the SD channel it replaces, Choice, while offering a slightly wider choice of content.

The biggest difference will be a nightly 8.00 Newshub Live bulletin and an 8.30 Thursday premium drama slot that will open on March 24 with Australian series The Newsreader , a TV newsroom drama set in 1986 that could be the perfect antidote to TV journos who take themselves too seriously.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, “It packs nostalgia, romance and office politics into its six perfectly formed hours, and still finds room to tackle weighty issues such as sexual harassment, homophobia and racism. In its understated way it is [quite brilliant].”

Otherwise, the schedule will be lifestyle-driven renovation and reality, with informercials replacing Choice’s overnight programming.

A Nigel Havers-hosted antique game show, The Bidding Room, which has spawned three seasons on the BBC, will be stripped weeknights at 6.00, ahead of Filthy Garden SOS (7.00 Mondays), UK Highway Patrol soundalike The Motorway (7.00 Tuesdays), design competition Ellen’s Next Great Designer (7.00 Wednesdays), Undercover Big Boss (7.00 Thursdays) and topiary competition Clipped (7.00 Fridays).

Said Commonsense Media of Clipped: “Folks who like working with botanicals, or who are simply curious about the art form, will find it most engrossing); others looking for a lighthearted reality series will also find it fun.”

Decider reckons Ellen’s Next Great Designer has “more of a Project Runway format than a Great British Bake Off format. But the fact that the designers get to do their design and build work from home reminds us of the much-lower-budget History competition Assembly Required with Tim Allen and Richard Karn.”

A remodelled Changing Rooms will anchor 8.30 Mondays (“design so dreadful you’ll be scarred for life,” quipped The Guardian), Big House Clearout 8.30 Tuesdays, Big Family Farm 8.30 Wednesdays and Dancing on Ice 8.30 Fridays.

Ice is a figure skating variation on Dancing With the Star s (the UK version of which also is destined for Eden) while Big Family Farm has been a heartwarming hit in the UK, where it airs under the title, Our Yorkshire Farm, and has made a household name of Amanda Owen.

“The 47-year-old, her husband Clive Owen and their brood of nine have soared in popularity of late as the nation has become obsessed with what life is really like on Ravenseat Farm,” The Sun reported while The Spectator pondered: “Is there anything more uplifting than Our Yorkshire Farm?”

At 9.30, Eden will strip the George Clarke series that previously aired on TVNZ 1, Ugly House to Lovely House.

The daytime schedule will include re-runs of the previous night’s programming, cooking shows and the Mysteries at the Museum (5.00 weeknights) while movies will screen on Saturday and Sunday nights.

Will be fun for the scheduler at Discovery putting together a lineup of infomercials across four different channels.

5 Likes
2 Likes