New Zealand TV

Promo for the new Melanie Bracewell series Last Dad Standing that started on Thursday night.

4 Likes

Honestly who knows if the deal proceeds, like you said it would be great if a local buyer came in and brought it but chances are it’s very unlikely but then again Stuff ownership comes to mind. Time will tell in these uncertain times.

2 Likes

NZ needs a National TV network commercial-free. Lots of events (Earthquake, Christchurch shooting, COVID-19 to name a few) have occurred in NZ over the past 10 years.

TVNZ was privatised and became a commercial network a few decades ago

2 Likes

It wasn’t privatised, it is owned by the New Zealand government.

3 Likes

TVNZ was never privatized. It’s a ‘Crown Owned Entity’ with the NZ Government as the sole shareholder.

3 Likes

4-part documentary Murder in the Outback: The Falconio & Lees Mystery premieres on TVNZ1 on August 23.

I notice on Freeview NZ guide that Aussie made reality shows are filling primetime slots on TVNZ and Three during the week.
House Rules: High Stakes (TVNZ1, began July 30) - it’s interesting TVNZ has chosen to show it on Saturday nights as well
MasterChef Australia (TVNZ2)
Australian Ninja Warrior (Three, began August 2) - shown one week after Australia
Big Brother Australia season 12 (TVNZ2) - finishing soon

It will be interesting to see if TVNZ and Three will pick up other reality shows currently on air in Australia like Farmer Wants a Wife, The Bachelor and The Masked Singer.

2 Likes

TVNZ has always been commercial. NZBC, it’s precursor, was also commercial, although they had some nights without ads. The only time it’s been commercial-free was at launch, for about a month in each of the main centres (Auckland, Wellington, Christchurch & Dunedin) in the early 1960’s.

There’s no doubt they will, and there’s no doubt I won’t be watching them!

1 Like

TVNZ2 will be airing this later in the year.

2 Likes

Are there any that do not air in NZ?

1 Like

Due to the covid-19 lockdown in March a lot of the locally made shows were unable to make the usual slots for airing e.g. The Block DWTS so other content has had to be sourced.

2 Likes

Don’t think we have had The Masked Singer, but by and large they all tend to make their way to NZ.

1 Like

An increasing trend in recent years, especially as the tide is very much out for American scripted content to provide decent ratings. I guess Aussie shows are the next best thing to local NZ content.

The Bachelor Australia airs on Bravo usually. I think TVNZ2 had it at one stage but it failed to rate. No masked singer yet and I think the risk showing it here is that many kiwis wouldn’t recognise them unmasked either :sweat_smile:

No doubt The Block Australia will return at some point as well. Probably after ninja warrior ends.

3 Likes

Lotto NZ hosts Sonia Gray and Jordan Vandermade keeping their distance in the TVNZ studios as Auckland still remains at Level 3.

6 Likes

Aussie networks would be wise to work with the NZ ones and cast down NZers and help with marketing and publicity.

Airing shows across the ditch and making them successful in NZ should be very much in the interest of 7 9 and 10

3 Likes

Australian networks have been helping NZ media to promote these reality shows.
Recent examples include NZ website Stuff (formerly owned by Nine) doing an interview with Rebecca Maddern for the current season of Australian Ninja Warrior on Three. It also spoke with Lenore McDiarmid, one half of mother and son team which competed on this season of House Rules, before it premiered on TVNZ in late July.

1 Like

They tried that with MKR once I believe (having a Kiwi entry) and maybe another show here or there. Seems it doesn’t really move the needle either way.

1 Like

Do the aussie networks profit from overseas sales though? Generally they don’t own the format or produce the show themselves.

TV Guide is also part of stuff. Many of these interviews are TV Guide ones, just standard PR stuff.

1 Like

Exactly, almost all are privately owned by production companies. My Kitchen Rules being a big exception in the past decade. None of the Aussie networks appear to have any interest in curating their own content and selling it across the world - happy to simply be broadcasters in our own little corner.

1 Like

Im not sure if aussie nets make any profits from NZ sales. I don’t think so. However a successful sale across the pond possibly means the Aussie networks have to pay less for the series as the studi is making sales to NZ

That said the show working on both sides or the Tasman is till in the interest of Aussie networks in the long run

2 Likes

Melanie Bracewell on another show. That’s good.

6 Likes