New Zealand Radio

I know with music stations it’s never been done here because of music rights restrictions.

I’m curious. What format does everybody prefer? Commercial, Public service or community? And what elements of a station make you choose it?

I’m liking Mai FM at the moment, because of the tone of conversations and the diversity of music.

I’m a frequency-flipper. Sometimes RNZ National, sometimes Brian FM. Very rarely anything else.

1 Like

mix of the sound and mix fm although our freq is not the best for mix here in chch

larry williams to stand down after 27 years at newstalk zb

Leighton Smith & Larry Williams gone from ZB within 4 months of eachother… ZB is looking shaky at the moment. All depends on the replacement I guess, as I’m still not convinced Kerre McIvor was a good one for Smith… :thinking:

1 Like

Kerre was the highest rating host ZB had when she was on nights. I suspect she’ll bring in more people than she loses (Leighton loyalists) but jury still out.

Reckon there’s about 3-4 in the race for Larry’s replacement.

Who are you thinking?

kate hawkesby??
mark sainsbury??
john campbell??

If it’s either of those 3 I suspect Mediaworks will start seeing a glimmer of hope for their Magic Talk station

• Heather du Plessis-Allan (might be a hard sell given BSA complaints of last week being upheld)
  • Jack Tame (would dovetail nicely with rumours of him shifting to TVNZ’s Q&A, but probably too left)
  • Andrew Dickens (solid, reliable pair of hands albeit doesn’t have a major profile. But he is a radio man through and through which I think is an advantage. Versatile.)
  • Mike Yardley (Christchurch based host. Has been filling in for both Larry and Hosking recently when required. Did two stints on Chch morning show. Another radio talent rather than a TV parachute).

1 more for good luck: Duncan Garner?

Don’t think any of those 3 would work.

Kate is still getting her head around mornings, plus works well given her husband does the show after.

Sainsbury was terrible on Live, so I doubt it.

Campbell, while a great host, is pretty much the antithesis of a ZB presenter.

1 Like

Nice. Martin Devlin I’d add to the list. Jack Tame would be a mistake IMO but I can see that happening.
Garner, interesting, I know Richardson’s not likely to leave MW in a hurry but I think he would be a bigger asset.
I’d go for Devlin or Heather dPA.

Don’t think Devlin would be keen on doing straight news again after the last experience, but maybe some time may make him keen again.

The Richardson pick is interesting, I’m sure he’d be keen but The Block tie-up may rule him out.

one i didnt think of is the local morning guy down here in chch
chris lynch

2 Likes

ZB has offered Garner the Drive show before so it wouldn’t surprise me if they look at him again.

My bets are on Heather dPA. Otherwise Andrew Dickens would be great.

Have they- Why did he not jump at it?! Did he have Story as well then?
Garner might be sick of the hours… and maybe feeling a bit unsettled at MW after the RadioLive restructure. Must be depressing to have to push 702 AM Akl now.

Yeah what I was thinking too. Probably the only thing keeping him. Richardson hosting AM Show would be good.

Sad to see Williams go after all these years, and a year out from Election 2020 too. I personally hope Heather doesn’t stand a chance after her comments last year. Not a good look for the station’s image IMO.

Had no idea that Garner had been offered a ZB gig in the past! I would be surprised if he took it tbh. I remember an article that read along the lines of him wanting to stay with the underdog after Leighton Smith questioned him on why he took the RadioLive drive slot.

Mike Puru is going to co-host The Hits afernoon show with Stacey Morrison on May 6

1 Like

Fantastic News! Mike will smash it!

Interesting that they’ll have some guest hosts too, like Anika Moa.

Which would be 3 Maori on the one show (and 2 full-timers) and fantastic representation.

2 Likes