New Zealand Radio

It’s gone. This is just a box-ticking exercise by HR. Or culture or performance or whatever name they’re going by this week.

The high profile staff will (likely) land on their feet but feeling for journalists, producers and others who don’t have the profile that will have others keeping them in mind for opportunities.

10 Likes

They should have not get rid of RadioLive in the first place.

1 Like

Wonder what they’ll use all those frequencies for then.

1 Like

Don’t know about that either. Was in the doldrums by the end.

1 Like

I heard the TodayFM news on MoreFM Auckland at 9am AEDST, no mention of anything then.

Extremely sad day for so many in NZ radio.

I see its March 30 - the 22/23 financial year ends tomorrow. Probably why they are pulling the pin now.

1 Like
7 Likes

The moment Today FM goes off the air. Uncut.

8 Likes

I really feel for the people who are now unemployed but Today FM was doomed from the start.

I don’t normally listen to Today FM but I’m quite shocked that the plug has been pulled so abruptly.
I did read somewhere that Mediaworks could be facing grievance cases for the way they’ve handled this - saying to staff “here’s a proposal, tell us what you think by the end of the day” could potentially be illegal; that’s not nearly enough time for any staff to get any legal advice or request more information.
While I understand that Mediaworks are a business and need to make money, the whole way this has been handled is quite poor, to say the least.
As to the frequencies, I think they’re the biggest asset - but what would they do with them? They already have a rock station, an easy listening one, a Classic Hits-type one, an oldies one and an album rock one (The Sound). What could do with Today FM’s frequencies? A country station? I don’t think that would take off in Aotearoa.

Suspect The Rock and other stations that made way will get them back.

Listening to the music selection is very melancholy in a way. With Today FM’s axing, and combined with how much ZB has dominated the market, it seems reasonable to consider that Mediaworks will throw in the towel on talkback.

We’re listening to a station, began with the split of Radio Pacific in 2005, launched as Radio Live, then rebranded in 2017 as Magic Talk, and 2022 as Today FM, go out with a whimper. Wish those involved good luck.

1 Like

From a Spinoff article:

That’s my query though - what format? Adding to the formats I listed above they already have, they have an urban station (Mai) and a dance station (George). So apart from country I imagine they would have all genres covered.
As to returning the frequencies to likes of The Rock - weren’t they all reassigned to new ones anyway?

Not talkback /s

Know anyone in the T-shirt industry? Get Tova’s signature, grab the Today font, print a pile stating
“…and they’ve Fucked us.”
I bet there’d be plenty of demand for 'em… you could raise a bit for those now redundant.

1 Like

The future/demise of Today FM will be announced soon. Listen live here: Live Player Window

I’d say there’d be a greater demand for “Here Today, Gone Tomorrow” or “It’s All Over, Tova” prints.

Screenshot 2023-03-30 4.53.55 PM

3 Likes

Today FM’s Twitter account has now set to private.

2 Likes