New Zealand Radio

With Today FM taken off air and replaced by non-stop music, does that mean Newstalk ZB will be the only commercial talk radio network in the country? That’s all I am asking.

I agree with @NuStraya.

Indeed it does.

1 Like

At the start of Garner’s show, O’Brien arrived in the studio accompanied by her news team. “What’s the deal?” said Garner.

“It sounds like it’s over,” she said. “We haven’t been given a chance. We’ve been on air for just a year. We were told we had the support of everyone, from the chief executive through to the board, and they have fucked us. And we’re all going to lose our jobs. And the station is coming off air.”

3 Likes

News on the hour seems to be continuing, at least. And right now they’re playing Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This). The irony!

Seriously?

Seriously. I knew there were likely going to be changes made quite soon, be it closure or just a new format, but I wasn’t expecting the whole station to be pulled off so quickly (ooh, Matron!). I think it could have been managed SO much more tactfully. At least give it until the end of the day or week - announce closure and let everyone say goodbye/start to find new jobs.

3 Likes

They aren’t mucking around are they, this is a sad day for NZ radio, a massively resourced station taken off the air after very little time.

The PR team must be scrambling now. Bad move on the part of Mediaworks for not providing a timeframe for closure and just pulling the station before brunch.

Today FM website is also still up with no changes as of now.

1 Like

Full transcript of the moment they were taken off air (as released by Stuff, for those who don’t want to listen to the clip)

“I’m Duncan Garner. Welcome to Duncan Garner Today, and Tova [O’Brien] has just walked into the studio with me. We’re doing this live. Tova has just walked in,” Garner starts.

“The newsroom is coming in as well. We’re being, well not rolled, but I believe we are. They are rolling into the studio.”

“Guys, come into the studio. We’re bringing in our Today FM news team. I don’t know how much longer we are going to be on air. Everyone grab a mic,” O’Brien says as she joins Garner.

“What’s the deal?” asks Garner.

“It sounds like it’s over. So we haven’t been given a chance. We’ve been on air for just a year. We were told that we had the support of everyone. From the chief executive, through to the board, through to the executive. And they have f… us,” states O’Brien.

“We are all going to lose our jobs and the station is coming off air.”

“As of what, as of today? This is betrayal,” says Garner.

A voice in the studio can be heard saying they “will be all herded in at quarter past 12” for a meeting.

“So basically what has happened now is the whole crew from Today FM has come into the studio with me here. There are people crying and really upset and shellshocked,” Garner says.

Soon after when taking calls from a listener expressing their best wishes for the Today FM presenters, O’Brien cuts in to tell Garner they have to go.

“Duncan, we’ve got to interrupt. We’ve been instructed to play music. This is it, guys,” O’Brien says.

“Thank you for your phone calls. Thank you for all your support and love. This looks like it is the end of us. We’re being pulled off air right now,” says Garner.

“Without even being given a chance. Thank you for listening,” O’Brien interjects.

“Thanks, folks,” Garner finishes.

And then into music.

3 Likes

This is shocking to hear Today FM going off air. They are scheduled to reveal more about it at around 5pm (NZDT) this afternoon.

Seen on the home page:

6 Likes

REX Today is currently airing with no mention of the chaos at the station today, looks like not all the shows have been cut yet.

Commercial breaks have also been mostly removed, save for a few promos for other Today FM shows. Less of a shutdown and more of a major reconfiguration perhaps?

1 Like

I do also feel for @theGradyConnell who also works as a producer across Today FM shows and a writer across the website.

We feel for you if the station announces its truly over. Arohanui. :heart:

14 Likes

REX Today has ended and it’s back into music. Don’t expect any more developments until 5.

It sounded pre-recorded. They ended by saying “Mark and Leah up next”. lol.

Anyone else seeing the irony in that “Put the dark days behind us…” liner that keeps playing between songs!?

Also, anyone else noticing a theme in the song selection? Goodbye Stranger, End Of The Line, etc.

1 Like

Add “The Final Countdown” in there. I feel like a theme selection could be goodbye songs, could be.

Like I said last week, MediaWorks is like a kitten whose got bored with the ball of wool.

Do the music stations have news updates? They’ll have to keep some jobs in the newsroom going, surely… unless they outsource to RNZ?

1 Like

And now “I’ll Be Missing You”. I think it’s pretty clear what they’re trying to tell us.

1 Like

Do point that hourly updates at this stage, they are not mentioning “From the Today FM newsroom” at 12pm etc. And the news update at 12pm isn’t live, it was pre-recorded probably sourced from More FM, Breeze etc.

2 Likes

With “Bye Bye Bye” and “Thank You”, I think we are about to sense what’s going to happen… Such a loss if it’s confirmed by 5pm.