New Zealand Radio

I grew up with Williams hosting sport on TV, cricket, rugby, Olympics, you name it. I totally look at him in a different light now.

2 Likes

@medianz What if George FM and The Edge merged into one youth music brand so that it would broadcast on the same frequencies as The Edge (in real life) with new digital-only or Music+ stations for the rova app?

And what if Aucklandā€™s Radio Waatea had moved from 603AM (in real life) to 96.6FM (replacing George FM) so that it could broadcast to as many Aucklanders as possible on FM?

Agreed, less duplicates of the other networks formats should make for a more robust salesscape. EDM, Country are both under subscribed on broadcast radio

1 Like

I disagree to an extent.

Today comes across as ZB lite or a more centrist version of RNZ. Iā€™m not sure they have the ingredients for success. A BBC R2 format could actually work.

Agree on The Edge though. Given Mediaworks have built their success on music stations itā€™s bizarre to see them not be able to get this one right in recent years. Losing their natural Breakfast successor didnā€™t help in Fletch and Vaughan (and Megan) but then they panicked and didnā€™t know what to do next. It still feels like that. Of course these things can change, as Iā€™ve mentioned before in hereā€¦ZM were in the doldrums for years after not ditching their legacy breakfast show early enough and a revolving door at drive. A well timed poach for FVM and then striking gold with Jase and PJ turned it around

3 Likes

Can someone explain the BBC radio 2 format?

1 Like

This what I donā€™t get, they leased and sold off the frequency to George FM/MW instead of using this frequency for Maori Radio on FM. One would think this would be a high priority considering Mai FM was sold off as well. To date there is No Maori radio station on FM in Auckland.

1 Like

Yeah it seems a little odd
Seeing Peter Williams associated with this project
I thought it
Was more the likes of paul Henry style

1 Like

35+ age target, an eclectic mix of music (their boast is the widest variety of music) - AC but also a mix of others - but above all I think it treats their listeners with a respect maybe not found on NZ music radio, especially for those in a middle age bracket that donā€™t really feel like being talked to like a mum with two kids or a dad that loves classic rock or whatever that commercial music radio for 35+ in NZ seems to be.

Smart and intelligent music radio. I donā€™t know if it would work commercially here but I can vaguely recall in Christchurch when the 3ZB/B98 Classic Hits breakfast show with Barry Corbett and John Dunne was simulcast on both brands. Music, talk and interviews.

Jeremy Vineā€™s lunchtime show (2 hours) is compelling listening - I often find myself listening to it at the gym late at night NZT. Itā€™s music interweaved with news segments, interviews etc.

3 Likes

I really hope it gets time. I guess its hard to move a talkback audience who are longtime loyal ZB listeners and then at the same time RNZ listeners, even though they arenā€™t exactly the same. Really its a threeway fight for those stations and maybe there isnā€™t room for three.

The Iwi still own the frequency donā€™t they? The only reason why their is some Te Reo Maori on the station.

Good summary. It is a difficult format to explain really. I think the mix of music is unique and a real blend of mainstream classic hits/AC/new music but they also blend in genres to some extent - rock, easy listening, upbeat pop. Youā€™re also right about the way they treat the listener with more respect, yet still friendly. I like Jeremy Vine and also the midnight to 3am live show with OJ Borg. Just to show how diverse it is the show preceding the midnight show is rhythm nation featuring easy listening soul music. Then after midnight itā€™s straight into the normal playlist. There are a lot of callers and emails from NZ and AUS (and US/Canada) to the overnight show, usually expat Brits. The only way to really appreciate it is to listen online which fortunately is quite easy.

1 Like

That moment when you hear the same
Song on gold and the sound
Almost at the same time

2 Likes

More FM Rodney breakfast.

Replacing brent harbor i assume
He has been doing the occasional slot on magic

Both him and Gunn have totally gone down the rabbit hole. I can see why any of the main stations wouldnā€™t want to go near them now - so theyā€™re relegated to internet ā€œradio stationsā€ (because, IMO, theyā€™re not really radio stations).
Sure they have their diehard followers still, but the numbers for both way down from what they were in their heydays - same comments could apply to Plunket as well.

2 Likes

ā€¦and thatā€™s a shame as they were both quite popular in their day
Amazing what a few conspiracy theories does
Are they trying to
Create a shock joxk personality
Ie like the hosts in the usa

The sound trying to
Expand their playlist with 80a at 8
And a 2 he underground show on sat nights playing new wave

Stumbled across this report commissioned by the Commerce Commission last year. Gives an interesting insight to the broadcast infrastructure of NZ.

RNZā€™s plan to ditch the AM network by 2031 is highlightedā€¦ aging infrastructure to blame, and the timing to suit the end of the current licenses.

1 Like

There would be a lot of old AM radios that are unusable after this. Not that there is anything decent on AM these days. Where I am, itā€™s God, God and more God.

Did you try seeing if you can receive a Gold station? A good mixture of sport coverage not unlike Radio Sport used to be and classic music outside of those hours with a much better variety of 70s and 80s tracks than Coast or The Breeze has.

1 Like