New Zealand Radio

It’s going to be very interesting to see what happens with Wendy Palmer as interim CEO.

She is well liked (is my understanding) by MWorks staff, but she also won’t stand for money being wasted. Obviously cuts have already been made so it’ll be interesting.

1 Like

I guess the good thing about the brand Today FM no need for a name change if they decide it should just be 24/7 music :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@nztv Does that mean there will be no hosts and no chat - just music (similar to Brian FM)?

And I am thinking of commercial advertising, news, weather and traffic on a music based radio brand, but what will happen to the elements in which I talked about?

1 Like

He was exaggerating a worst case scenario (other than shutting own I guess) Paddy. I’d say those non-host elements would remain (otherwise how are they going to make any money) :+1:

3 Likes

The question re today fm is an interesting one
Does mw preserve with it
Knowing its having little or no effect or
Turn it into another music station
And if so what format would they use Knowing most of the
Genres are covered already

I say turn it into BBC Radio 2. That’s a format missing in NZ and AUS. And it’s the most listened to station in western Europe.

2 Likes

Good idea
Am picking that would cost a lot
In licensing etc
Though

It is what RNZ should do with the Concert frequencies.

I don’t think Mediaworks would do it, they already own 9 network stations. If they wanted a shift away from repetitive and bland playlists they would have done it already :joy:

You don’t license it, you copy it, same as every other station does.

3 Likes

Sometimes i find myself tuning out of the commercial stations
And search the nz radio online app
And listen to some of the online or internet based stations and surprisingly some of these are pretty good

1 Like

Anyone know much about this new “Reality Check Radio” thing? Is it just another platform for conspiracy theories a la Sean Plunket’s Platform? The host list sure looks like it is.

1 Like

Voices for Freedom … the anti vax group are behind this latest one. Sean might halve his audience lol as he seems to enjoy calling them nutters

Peter Williams mustn’t be enjoying retirement

1 Like

:+1:
Although this one would appear to be cutting out the middlemen such as Sean Plunket. I believe Sean has become part of the ‘Mainstream Media’ in the eyes of voices for freedom members :rofl:

1 Like

Rodney hide…not a name you hear about
Much these days

There was a write-up about this in The Spinoff this morning. Sounds like it’s trying to appeal to a very narrow, anti-vaxx crowd. Sean Plunket’s comments about it were interesting.

3 Likes

I can’t believe I’m saying this… but I actually agree with Plunket.

2 Likes

Guess the topics discussed will be 1 thing only

2 Likes

Never thought Peter Williams would turn out to be such a crank. He always seemed so normal and buttoned-up on Breakfast back in the day. Wonder if Liz Gunn will turn up on this new ‘station’ (if you can call it that…?)

4 Likes

Radio 2, whilst generally being a 35+ music station, also has a daily lunchtime current affairs slot - so that’s not a bad call. I could fairly easily see MW moving Tova to lunchtimes, keeping her current format, and changing the rest.

3 Likes

I don’t think MWs biggest problem right now is Today FM. Again, it’s about consistency and continuity, and I think Today has got a great formula… it’s just going to take time to flourish, like it did for ZB.

I would argue The Edge is probably the weakest link atm. Rotating hosts, lack of consistency, lack of star power. Plus I don’t think CHR is a strong format these days. Give Edge’s frequencies to George FM - younger audiences are listening to dance/EDM.

3 Likes

YES. I would totally listen to GFM if it was avaliable in my area. Yes, I know I can get it online, but I very much prefer the old school way of listening to radio. That type of music is my second favourite after 50s/60s/70s.

1 Like