New Zealand Radio

New? Since at least 1996, if not earlier for the regions.

Pm’s resignation was great timing for Today FM with Tova and Lloyd’s first show of the year yesterday & The other shows were back Monday.
Radio NZ still on Summer line up though at least got in Corin & Guyon for Morning report this morning.

ZB still Tim Dower this morning instead of the Hosk.

1 Like

The Panel with Wallace Chapman started back this week which was handy I listened in on the way home yesterday had some great guests on for the news and they also had a ‘special’ edition of Checkpoint with Corin and Guyon at 5pm as well on the day.

1 Like

Starting back on a Thursday was quite odd I thought, but it turned out to be fortuitous!

Guessing Hosking won’t be back until the Tuesday after Auckland anniversary weekend. Seems to be the new trend since he started doing 6-9.

Wonder what hosking would have said re jacinda if he was on air

Something very intelligent, thoughtful, considered and balanced, I’m sure :rofl:

2 Likes

What ever he said when John Key resigned but the complete opposite :rofl:

No doubt he will be across it when he returns and as gracious as ever

1 Like

The shows had a number of pre planning days which resulted in the Thursday return.

Tracy donaldson sounding pretty good
On gold

The taxi driver i had this am
Had rnz morning report on
It was great listening for a change and had sensible interviews
Was nice to listen to
Credit to corin and guyon

1 Like

Hopefully this will lead to more jukebox automation. People just want to listen to music, not braindead banter.

Such a shame as good staff potentially affected but can see evidence of
This already

If I wanted just music I’d listen to Spotify. What stations do you listen to?

3 Likes

This is absolutely not what research suggests.

Feeling for those affected at Mediaworks today.

4 Likes

Some great people at Today FM but imagine if they’d cut their losses on talk radio, as they did with TV3 and stuck with the profitable radio brands whether they’d be in a lot better position now. Think I saw somewhere it cost them 9 million setting up Today…

1 Like

I want music and useful information. Unfortunately the music usually comes with braindead banter. Time to drain the swamp!

1 Like

I don’t think it’s as cut and dry as that - ie. Pointless chatter radio vs. Spotify. A lot of people want predominantly music with a well curated playlist, with some informed commentary (but not a bunch of people talking lowest common denominator stuff and laughing at each other). For me Spotify doesn’t cut it at selecting music.

2 Likes

MediaWorks’ biggest failure was ditching RadioLIVE in favour of combining a commercial log with the Magic brand. Ultimately, this very bad decision by management backfired - largely due to Covid, because ZB ended up growing in audience significantly during the news cycle. Also, because Magic Talk was on AM in Auckland for 3 years, the audience RadioLIVE had in Auckland all left.

ZB is a juggernaut, as we all know, and unfortunately for MediaWorks it’s a very profitable audience it doesn’t have. I can see why the company wants to have a slice of the market.

What MediaWorks needs to look at is offering a premium/subscription service as another way to get revenue and not rely so heavily on commercials/advertising. A combined music/film/tv streaming network? It would require significant investment though.

But let’s not forget. MediaWorks is currently for sale. The fact the SKY deal fell through was a clear indication to MediaWorks management/owners that the business is not “sellable” in its current state, hence why they’re trying to clean up the books and sadly that means getting rid of around 1/4 of its employees.

Personally, this isn’t going to end well for most people who work there. The workers who keep their jobs will end up leaving because of the extra workload and stress. I know a lot of people are already feel burnt out and this just adds to their frustration with MediaWorks management, who continue to let down staff with poor decision making (which goes back a long time … this isn’t a new issue!)

2 Likes