New Zealand Radio

Music I’d guess.

1 Like

@OnAir So that means the music on Magic would be fully automated (except during breakfast/mornings and drive on weekdays when the current on-air shifts would be reduced to just two)?

Just a guess for now Paddy, let’s wait and see!

1 Like

There is a case for that. IMO having announcers all the time is not really needed on a radio station in 2022. I would also chop the news bulettins each hour, perhaps just one at midday, unless there is a major event. You take out the overheads, you can even have more music and less ads.

True, you there is a reason you dont hear 1940’s music on the radio anymore. Quite possibly by 2030, you might not hear 1950’s/60’s music anymore.

1 Like

I wonder how much money could be saved chopping the news out, given its the same news that’s about 90 seconds long and plays on a number of stations?
Can they share announcers. Eg The Breeze has a more music, less talk tag line so could they daytime announcer on the Breeze voice track a show on Magic as well?

Virtually none, I’d imagine.

Some stations do this. Grant Kereama appears a lot on Gold/Coast together

2 Likes

Even if chopping the news out does save little, it should still be done. I really dont see the point of hearing the news each hour, especially if nothing (much) is happening. On a music station, there shuold be more music and less talk. I would even suggest that even for the likes of ZB/RNZ/Today FM, there is no real need for hourly news bulletins.

Those stations are News/Talk/Information stations so ofcourse they are gonna have News on the hour, why wouldn’t they.

2 Likes

That is ridiculous.

9 Likes

Just to add, A fair few of the news bulletins on these stations are also sponsored by local/national businesses which would probably tilt the axis for the airing of these bulletins. They are cheap to produce as they can be disseminated through each radio network. They also use these hourly bulletins to usually transition to the next programme as well on their lineups.

4 Likes

Older audiences still traditionally get their news from radio, as they don’t actively use social media and digital platforms to get their news. CHR formats (like ZM/Edge) have fewer news bulletins today, than say 10-15 years ago, because the younger demo is always accessing news through social media.

I think the Magic demo would make quite a fuss about the removal of hourly news updates.

1 Like

Guessing there’s still no update on RNZ’s youth service? Any chance it will ever see the light of day?

2 Likes

I think this is as close as it got. An online streaming service

3 Likes

Covid got in the way IIRC (just before lockdowns they got a frequency allocated I think) and a certain ex-Labour prime minister having a tantrum about Concert potentially being removed also stymied it somewhat.

3 Likes

Speaking of (kinda / not really lol)…
Max Baird has moved from the More FM workday show to The Breeze Tauranga Breakfast…

3 Likes

I take it you’re not in an area served by Brian FM then?

Brian FM is in my area. However, I do not like the music that is played on the station.

1 Like

Surely they’ve convinced Jason Gunn to return to More?

Gary staying with MW (Today FM) “to do political stuff, interviews, panel discussions on politics, podcasts, my own show at some point during the week in which I’ll have my own sort of oddball view of radio and be able to do that”

1 Like