New Zealand Radio

I disagree. Tomorrow’s newspapers will be full of black pages, there’ll be dark and respectful graphics tonight on the telly, so why can’t radio do the same now? It’s pretty easy to play a quieter song leading into the news.

For an industry that desperate to pull on heart-strings, to not be able to match the nation’s mood to your brand, is surely a bit of a failing? Surely they have slower, more sombre cuts of their themes, unless of course, the brand is more important than the story?

1 Like

I take your point - I just wonder whether the black/sombreness is actually a reflection of the national mood.

Well, we’re not all repulicans, otherwise we’d be a republic! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

One day :wink:

You are right - a respectful tone should be taken but I’m not sure it should be OTT.

1 Like

No, it shouldn’t be overdone.
It can be hard to gauge for the media how the population feels about a story. Social Media can give an idea, but that doesn’t always give an exact pulse.

1 Like

Tova O’Brien is in the UK, will be broadcasting her Today FM show live from London all of next week.

4 Likes

What do you get from remotes for radio? Not the backdrop that’s for sure.

On the ground vox pops, interviews (it’s easier to bump into a correspondent or person of interest in person around BP and ask them to come on rather than their producer being 1 millionth to message them via the phone), a sense of occasion.

2 Likes

Does anyone know why Graeme Hill’s show was cut on Today FM? Bit disappointing. Wasnt quite The Weekend Variety Wireless of old but had similar ingredients and will be missed. If anyone knows what he’s up to next I’d be interested

2 Likes

Cost-cutting, I’d imagine. They’ve replaced the weekend afternoons slot with six hours of sport, on both days. Overkill really. But they already had Marc Peard on a full-time contract, so it costs them nothing extra.

Newstalk ZB and Mike Hosking Breakfast dominate in the latest survey results out today.

1 Like

h0sking and zb are like a habit people cant break

And possibly just as cancerous too.

3 Likes

AUCKLAND GFK Survey 3 Top 10 (S2 to S3)
Newstalk ZB 16.8 - 15.3
Breeze 12.2 - 11.7
Mai FM 7.6 - 8.0
Magic 7.0 - 7.1
More FM 6.7 - 5.9
Coast 5.0 - 4.6
ZM 5.6 - 4.4
The Sound 5.2 - 4.3
The Edge 3.8 - 3.9
Flava 3.7 - 3.8

Also of note: Hauraki moved 2.1 to 3.4 for its largest share since 2010.

3 Likes

I know we won’t know the full picture on Today Fm till next year but crikey, if last survey wasn’t bad enough, they’re down 21,000 to 115,100 10+

Looooong road ahead…

1 Like

As an outsider, I have no idea what the station is. Is it RNZ with ads? Or ZB with a bit less right wing stuff?

Yeah. It’s a mish mash. I think Smalley, Garner, Mark & Leah, even Polly are ok. They need to start by shifting Tova into an investigative reporter type role or something.

Not sure it was a great move hiring people with no radio experience for Breakfast and Drive eh…

I am not a full on regular listener but I definitely prefer Today FM over ZB. More balanced I think and hosts like Tova, Duncan and Lloyd are as likely to criticise the right as much as the left. Where as Hosking and Heather lean right, agree with right see no other solution than right.

4 Likes

story doing the rounds about the rock radio hosts and a complaint re sexual comments and wardrobe mishaps

https://www.nzme.co.nz/news/kids-call-the-shots-in-jono-ben-s-new-brand-campaign/
Didn’t realise Matt Anderson was back at NZME as content director for The Hits. Will certainly be a big challenge to get to where his older station (More FM) is at.