New Zealand Radio

Radio Live expected to cease broadcasting (and merge with Magic).

2 Likes

Thoughts are with those whose jobs are on the line.

RadioLIVE never really hit well did it?

That is bad news… it’s never good when a “voice” is lost not to mention jobs,

RadioLIVE was a worthy attempt to take on NewsTalkZB but my observation was it could never crack the market despite some good programming.

The Magic Talk proposal is interesting although I can’t see how it flow across the day with “The AM Show”, “Drive” and “NewsHub Live at 6” remaining while I assume the other shifts will play music. I suspect this might be a transitional move with more cuts to talk planned.

1 Like

Sad news indeed for all concerned. I was expecting a re-brand to align it more with Newshub but nothing this drastic.

You can’t say Mediaworks didn’t give it a real go with Radio Live. I always thought it was the better option compared to ZB but sadly the bulk of the audience thought otherwise.

4 Likes

Memo to Macquarie Radio!

1 Like

Radio Live is set to merge with Magic network in 2019, and to be rebranded as Magic Talk.
I’m not sure how I feel…

Magic Talk phfft… Sounds like a radio station for 5-year old kids. Pathetic, I wouldn’t be supprised if listener rates go down

2 Likes

They’re already low, hence why they’ve made the decision.

I do wonder how it’ll work though.

Thoughts with those at RadioLive. Lot of good people there.

1 Like

This article suggests that there’ll still be two stations, yet run by the one team.

“The merged entity will operate a music station and a talk station, and the talk station will be run by the music radio side of our business.”

Magic remains a 24 hour music station, while Magic Talk is essentially a breakout station for the AM Show/Drive/Newshub and otherwise takes a feed of the music?

3 Likes

Sounds like it - cuts back on presenters and producers that way.

I wonder if MediaWorks will swap frequencies where the current RadioLive is on FM and Magic is on AM? Auckland comes to mind as one possible market where this could work

3 Likes

Yikes… if that’s not a transitional set up I don’t know what is.
The whole thing will be gone within 12 months… sooner if contracts expire

1 Like

So here’s my 2 cents on this situation.

RadioLIVE is a family, and I am part of that family.

Yesterday was a hard day on everyone to have found out they aren’t going to be back for 2019 and the station being gutted to a shell of itself. Many people including myself will miss the callers and hosts with their quirks and habits they have.

A lot of good friends are now out of a job, But MediaWorks has done their best to let staff know in a timely manner (No time is ever the right time to tell someone their jobs is no more) But they have and continue to make accommodations for the staff.

Personally I don’t think this is the right move for MediaWorks, Yes I understand it isn’t always profitable or rates well, but just because maybe it doesn’t do what you want it to do you kill it, I think there should have been more of an effort put into restructuring the station in management, background staff or talent.

I do see where the idea of merging the two stations together they have similar target audiences and for promos they hit the same area, It will be a trial of something new a Hybrid of talk and music (Something I don’t know if it has been done elsewhere yet)

It’s a big change that’s going to affect a lot of people.

9 Likes

I think perhaps BBC Radio 2 might be something of a model for them.
Good talk, good music, good news service… problem is that it needs to be well resourced and in a commercial environment where a big audience isn’t immediately apparent there will be a reluctance to commit the money that’s needed to get people listening in the first place.

One of the strengths of NZ radio and its commercial duopoly is the ability of both companies to take risks and to cross subsidise formats that might not normally see the light of day… so this is disappointing.

As to whether it’s a success, it will depend on content of course. I just can’t see hard hitting talk/journalism going hand in hand with easy hits. The talk is likely to be soft, all the more so because it’s being run by MediaWorks music not news. (Not a criticism just an observation on where interests and priorities are likely to fall)

But, in this changing media world we need to think outside the box and this could prove to be an interesting and mould breaking experiment.

6 Likes

Indeed, apart from the obvious personal cost to individuals, competitors are good for resources and budgets.

No competition, no need to invest in the station… at least not as much.

2 Likes

I feel like changes were long overdue for Radio Live but I just can’t see this working.

From what I gather ‘Magic Talk’ will be a music & talk station targeting baby boomers. But Mediaworks are getting rid of Mark Sainsbury and Mitch Harris whose talk would have at least been more likely to resonate with that audience.
So they’re keeping Ryan Bridge (nothing against him, I think he’s a real talent) for Drive who told Live listeners a few weeks ago “we should slash superannuation because it’s becoming too expensive”…

IMO they might as well have gone the whole hog and nuked it completely. The AM Show could have moved to the Newshub studio to strengthen the TV product, where AM has always performed better.

2 Likes

Don’t know if it’s already been mentioned but Flynny from The Hits has been poached by Mediaworks for the More FM Drive in 2019.

3 Likes

Flynny, Jase & Jay Jay A very strong line up for More Drive 2019 , would make a very good Breakfast team sometime in the 2020’s.

2 Likes

Wonder what they’re planning for More FM Breakfast next year - Gary McCormick & Lana Searle - bit down on star power without Simon Barnett?

1 Like

I was thinking if anything, Flynny would be signed to Breakfast. Either way, he will make the team a force to be reckoned with.

1 Like