New Formats

@Kubi predicted this for ten. He also predicted changing rooms. Im starting to think he knows someone.

I think the most ironic thing about this thread is that the most recent “formats” being discussed - Wife Swap, Changing Rooms and Judge Judy - are far from being new formats :wink:

I guess this is where we’re at now. Nothing is new it’s just “rebooted” old stuff

1 Like

I am so shocked no local network has adapted ‘Live P.D.’ they could air it live for 2 hours on a weeknight (could do more than night a week). Would be a huge effort but would be a huge water cooler format.

1 Like

I am more shocked that Ten never made a Australian version of COPS.

I agree - the show is really popular in America and in a TV landscape where live TV stands out more than ever, it would quickly become ‘appointment viewing’

Define “popular”. 20 million viewers per week?

1.7m viewers 0.6 in demo. That’s a cable channel on a Friday night though.

It’s all relative, I guess. 1.7m in a population of 325.7million.

In Australia that would be about 128,000 viewers? Is that worthwhile?

That’s an inaccurate comparison with a fundamental misunderstanding of the ratings in the US.

Well, excuuuuse me.

Nothing rates even close to 20 million in the US anymore except for sport. So if that’s your definition of a hit then nothing on US TV is a hit.

Calm down. I was being flippant.

The Greatest Dancer premiered on the BBC this weekend. Its major selling point is that in the auditions, contestants will perform in front of a mirrored wall and if more than 75 percent of the audience like the audition, the wall will open and show the Dance Captains. It is produced by Simon Cowell.

Could be a show that would work on Ten, if DWTS fails…

Sounds like the Voice for Dancing.

I like the sound of it but I just think it’s just another gimmick and audience are over this sort of genre.

1 Like

Since 9 can’t make a star out of anyone on The Voice, perhaps they could try this format called Songland which has a version coming to NBC in the states and Channel 4 in the UK.

Songland will be the channel’s first ever music competition — and a serious threat to ITV’s X Factor — with wannabe writers battling it out to have their song released by a star name. Hopefuls will audition their efforts in front of a panel of the industry’s top producers.

The format has been masterminded by Eurythmics musician Dave Stewart, Mar0on 5’s Adam Levine and OneRepublic’s Ryan Tedder.

Could Love at First Song work? John Legend and TV producer Simon Lythgoe will adopt the South Korean dating format for the US.

1 Like

Screen Australia announces new scripted dramas and comedies in development.

TV:

The Force (Working Title)
No Coincidence Media Pty Ltd
Genre Action adventure, Comedy
Producer Mitchell Stanley
Director Dena Curtis
Writers Megan Wilding, Steven Oliver, Mitchell Stanley, Dena Curtis
Synopsis When the lives of inner Sydney residents are in danger, they call upon The Force, a cracked team of first responders who know there can only be one hero at the end of the day.

The Sisters Antipodes
Endemol Shine Banks
Genre Drama
Producers Imogen Banks, Asher Keddie
Director TBC
Writers Fiona Seres, Rebecca Rigg
Synopsis In 1965, two families collide. Affairs ignite, couples switch and the scandal pushes the realigned families to opposite sides of the world. Reeling, two little girls are given each other’s fathers. The Sisters Antipodes is the ensuing story of the lifelong competition between them and the tragedy that ends it.

The Upside Of Over
Revlover Films Pty Ltd
Genre Comedy, Drama
Producer Lauren Edwards, Martha Coleman
Director TBC
Writer Josephine Dee Barrett
Synopsis When her inner-most sexual fantasy goes viral, Australia’s most beloved newsreader Olivia Law must reassess the life she’s meticulously built for herself and tackle the age-old question; what do women really want? And how exactly do you rebuild yourself when you never really knew who you were to begin with?

Clandestine
WYLD FGA Pty Ltd in association with Beyond Entertainment Pty Ltd
Genre Thriller
Producers Kristine Wyld, Antony I Ginnane
Executive Producers David Ogilvy, Nina Stevenson
Director TBC
Writers Kristine Wyld, Kristen Dunphy, Sean Cook
Synopsis Claire Marks, a single mother of two, ex Australian Intelligence, now running a security company, learns her daughter was on a plane that was shot down in war-torn Syria. Claire flies to Beirut but finds herself up against ruthless players in an international conspiracy that reaches right back to Australia.

Online:

All For Eve
Ava Studios Pty Ltd
Genre Comedy, Drama
Producer/Writer Olga Markovic
Director TBC
Synopsis Starting over isn’t easy. Especially when you’re a single mum with no money and a dead husband.

Amazing Grace
JAM Productions Pty Ltd
Genre Comedy, Drama
Producer/Director Julie Money
Writers Julie Money, Grace Truman
Synopsis A web series from the point of view of teenager Grace, about losing a parent, living and growing up.

Cheetah Airways
Cliff House Productions
Genre Comedy
Producers Claudia Pickering, Emma Leonard, Catherine van der Rijt
Executive Producer Luke Eve
Director Claudia Pickering
Writers Claudia Pickering, Emma Leonard, Prudence Vindin
Synopsis Cheetah Airways is an online comedy series that takes us behind the scenes of a dodgy budget airline.

Nark Mikoladis The Trading Card King
Aunty Donna Pty Ltd
Genre Comedy, Action adventure
Executive Producers Max Miller, Sam Lingham, Broden Kelly, Mark Bonanno, Zachary Ruane, Thomas Armstrong
Director Max Miller
Writers Caitlyn Staples, Jayden Masciulli, Mario Hannah, Ryan Zorzut, Elyce Phillips
Synopsis After discovering that a rare Charizard Pokemon card is now worth a mini fortune, a twenty-something who’s supposed to be looking for a job, begins a quest to reclaim the card from the primary school bully who stole it from her 15 years ago.

Salma And The City
Chemical Media Pty Ltd
Genre Comedy, Drama
Producer Tony Jackson
Director/Writer Kauthar Abdulalim
Synopsis When a 45-year-old Australian-Pakistani mother decides it’s time to chase her dream of winning the Australian Open, she has to battle family expectations, gender stereotypes and centuries of tradition before she even meets an opponent on the tennis court.

Wow! This sounds like a rip off of The Hit which aired in Ireland. I believe 10 bought the rights to make their own version but it never came to be.