Network Ten post-CBS

Brisbane, for one is in desperate need of a 6pm alternative to the rubbish that both Seven and Nine are currently delivering. I wonder how the current anchors of those two bulletins feel about the direction the news directors have taken them.

3 Likes

At the end of the day Family Feud is not competing anyway so Family Feud at 6pm would have to be the first to go. A 6pm news bulletin won’t do any worse than Family Feud and has the potential to grow with a greater reputation. I wouldn’t be just trialing it over the summer.

1 Like

Here’s an idea

5:00pm Ten News at 5 with Lisa Wilkinson, 5:30pm Family Feud, 6pm Ten News at 6*, 6:30pm The Project**

• Ten News at 6 to be hosted by current host of Ten News First at 5.

** Possibly looking at another current affairs show or game show for 7pm

1 Like

I wouldn’t be doing anything with Family Feud.

3 Likes

First item on the agenda for news is the return of local news to the weekend. That will definitely mean some acquisition of talent which could be interesting.

2 Likes

Totally this.

I know lots of people who are home those nights and aren’t interested in sports. There is a market for entertainment on those nights, but networks have deluded themselves into thinking that there aren’t.

Now we have three, probably even four nights of the week where networks are too scared to air anything moderately entertaining, and in a selffulfilling prophecy have driven viewers to other platforms on those nights.

Ten could bring viewers back on Thursdays and Saturdays. All it needs is commitment, patience, money and some intent to do something a little radical.

5 Likes

I’d try Family Feud at either 5:30 or 7PM.
Local 6PM (hour long) and a 5PM half-hour national bulletin.
The Project could work as a 9:30PM late-night show.

1 Like

As I have said a lot I just think Family Feud is done now. Its time to try another show if they are keen on a game show.

5 Likes

I usually watch the last 15 minutes of the show. I quite enjoy it.
I’d watch it in full if it wasn’t clashing with Nine News.

A lot of people seem to just be focusing on the main channel; CBS could move Family Feud to (channel) 11, while trying a half-hour news at 18:00 on Ten.

FF still has some appeal, so it may be worth keeping it around, and I guess the other question is how much does it cost?

It’s true. Ten could have a “JUST THE NEWS” approach for a half hour, without all the Today Tonight-style crap.

3 Likes

The Project is already working.

Why lose most of their audience at 5?

1 Like

You can’t do local weekends without first addressing their news problems Monday to Friday.

And doing stuff like Gogglebox shows that people are there and will tune in if the content is good.

5 Likes

I don’t get why people say that The Project is working.
The ratings for the 6.30 half are horrible and the 7pm half usually gets 500-600k, while ACA is getting 800-900

1 Like

6pm is the huge issue right now, as it’s always been. News is the only thing that will work there but CBS will need to invest in a product that people want to watch there.

The other issue is post 9.30 when viewership craters. I hope they experiment with news there too.

4 Likes

The Project is usually ahead of ACA in the demos.

2 Likes

Just read this. If Lisa Wilkinson is as much as journalist as her husband, then Nine CEO Hugh Marks is much as CEO as Eddie McGuire was. And ultimately, the author of the article in the Australian Financial Review is as much a journalist as Fat Cat

2 Likes

Isn’t he being a hypocrite? He just wrote a whole article analysing it and keeping it in the news.

2 Likes

Celebrity culture isn’t an Australian-only thing, nor is the issue of gender pay inequity, so of course this wasn’t just going to happen/go away quickly & quietly.

2 Likes