Network Ten post-CBS

I wouldn’t think for a second they’ve employed her for a breakfast show. I mean, they’ve explicitly said she’s on a The Project, and she’s shown interest in a Prime Time.

Maybe as a secondary project?

If she’s been treated well and fairly then I’d generally agree.

If there’s any truth to the perceived gender inequality then there’s something cbs may take advantage of.

But that’s our (made up) 6am morning show in real time at 9am in Hawaii (in summer) vs the New York morning show with an 8 hour delay…

They’d have to be creative on SAYING the day, though the overlays would be correct.

But yes I agree about the zero interest in Australia. If there was to be a morning show that overlapped with a daytime show in the US it’d have to be a very creative creation.

I’m really just wondering if there is anything that might work… brainstorming with lots of rejections :slight_smile:

If cbs tasks it’s australian arm to make something that’s also a US prime time show it’d be interesting to see what they come up with.

A pet wish of mine has been to see one of the “global cataclysm” dramas (always set in the US) have an offshoot Australian series showing what’s happening elsewhere in the world. But no shows like that on CBS.

You must have nicked that idea from Get Krack!n. :joy:

5 Likes

Breakfast is more important than late news.

You mean more important than a 10:30pm News? I’d say that’s definitely true.

Jesus Christ… people change jobs all the time. I’ve changed jobs every 5-8 years.

Low act??? She hasn’t bashed an old lady or anything. Changing jobs isn’t a low act.

15 Likes

Is Koch still persona non grata as surely you’ve never forgiven him for being a traitor when he moved to Ten? Seven had no issue, they graciously let him go, then later gladly welcomed him back.

4 Likes

Please don’t ever become interested in politics.

9 Likes

For christ’s sake, no one thinking rationality would choose an offer that has less pay and less opportunities.
Natalie Barr hasn’t gone anywhere at Seven in 15 years and has been overlooked twice by the network for roles that she was frontrunner for.
I recently jumped ship to a rival employer after 9 years of hard work and dedication. I was offered the same role with a better salary at the rival. It is the best and most rewarding decision I’ve ever made.
Believe it or not, people put their best interests first before their employers.

19 Likes

I agree that it was technically 24 years - however, it was only broadcast in Sydney from 1977 to 1981. In 1982, it was broadcast to the rest of Australia, (except Western Australia where it wasn’t broadcast til 1985) for approximately 18 years. See classic tv guide page links below.

I believe that Ten need to offer something different to differentiate it from the competition. As I have said throughout this page, a starting pint would be a 7am news, followed by Studio 10 at 8am and maybe a morning news style show at 11am til midday.

http://televisionau.com/classic-tv-guides/tv201077 - Victoria
http://televisionau.com/classic-tv-guides/tv030381 - Melbourne
http://televisionau.com/classic-tv-guides/tv290781 - Melbourne
http://televisionau.com/classic-tv-guides/tv040679 - Brisbane
http://televisionau.com/classic-tv-guides/tv280480 - Brisbane
http://televisionau.com/classic-tv-guides/tv161078-2 - South Australia
http://televisionau.com/classic-tv-guides/tv260281 - Adelaide
http://televisionau.com/classic-tv-guides/tv280780 - Western Australia
http://televisionau.com/classic-tv-guides/tv280383 - Western Australia
http://televisionau.com/classic-tv-guides/tv130884 - Western Australia

2 Likes

How quickly are we expecting to see changes after CBS takes over? I’m thinking that things will continue pretty much as normal for the first part of 2018 but that they could use Masterchef to launch a new brand and start to reposition the network with new programming starting to flow through in the second half of the year. Personally I’m not expecting any huge or sudden shifts, just a gradual investment and build up hopefully driven by a big external marketing campaign built around a new brand.

I agree, but I think the differentiation has to come in the content itself rather than expecting viewers to follow Ten around the schedule and adapt.

The viewers that Ten needs to target are used to seeing their breakfast show from 6am to around 9am and then a more relaxed talk format after that. Equally, they are used to turning the TV on at 6pm for their fix of news in the evening.

So rather than expecting those habits to change, embrace them. I’m not saying it will be easy, but focus on creating compelling content and disrupting the market rather than reinventing the wheel.

3 Likes

this is what i expect. sudden changes could alienate the (small) audience they have now. what they need to do is gradually shift to any new format / brand identity. if they did it in one go, they risk alienting the current audiance and if it doesn;t work… they are really screwed

I’m certain we will see Ten launch a breakfast show in 2018, under CBS guidance.

The breakfast time slot is LOVED by advertisers and there is so much revenue there. Sunrise and Today make bank - it’s tens of millions a year. Right now that is split 50/50 between just 2 shows - Today and Sunrise.
Ten/CBS will be wanting a chunk of that $10-$20 million breakfast revenue pie.

Yes, I know they failed twice - but under CBS - i think they will have the strongest shot. Right now I’d risk a guess to say Ten gets 5% of breakfast revenue. If they can get even 20% - that would be massive.

I also think if CBS really plan to make Ten a serious competitor - you need breakfast show

1 Like

The CBS purchase of TEN is making some noise at Mipcom.

“We think the connection between CBS and Ten will be great,” said CBS Studios International president Armando Nunez. “We look forward to connecting those dots.”

5 Likes

Does CBS realise they purchased Australia’s cellar dweller network and not the dotty one? I have visions of them realising they’ve made a massive mistake and begging Bruce and Lachlan to take it back.

On a serious note, I feel like Ten has been down this road half a dozen times or more over the network’s history. New owners or management come in looking to leave a mark. They make some big, headline making hires and announce a raft of exciting new shows to entice viewers away from Nine and Seven. Months later the shows are axed and the talent warehoused.

Ten’s success has usually come when they haven’t been competing head on with the other two commercial networks. They need to offer an alternative. Is yet another attempt at a breakfast show, that isn’t substantially different to the other two, really going to work?

If I were CBS I’d be looking at areas the other two have neglected in order to rebuild Ten. Late night/ mid evening weekday slots and Thursday to Saturday prime time could be a goldmine for them if they could give viewers a reason to turn off Netflix and tune into Ten. A mid evening news and entertainment offering, something the viewers could dip in and out of, could be as successful as the breakfast shows and attract advertisers if it was done correctly. People used to watch television on Saturday nights when there was something worth tuning in for and advertisers would clamour to sponsor those shows. I still associate Cadbury and Toyota with Hey Hey because they sponsored them for years.

Something different, CBS. Not more of the same.

10 Likes

Spot on with your first line!

I guess you have to have faith that CBS knows what they are doing…?

With so few younger people watching TV anymore, their strategy might be to nudge their target market upwards.

However, I am not sure we should expect to see “CBS with an Aussie accent” just yet - all the talk about a ‘CBS This Morning’ and so on. If you look at Britain’s Channel 5 (owned by CBS) they don’t have a morning show, and their news is outsourced to Sky (or ITN, I forget)…

Channel 5 is owned by Viacom not CBS.

The thing Channel 5 got in, which CBS have as well, is Big Brother. I would predict this will be the first acquisition of the network. I wonder whether they will have a news bulletin at 6pm. I know it has been tried but I think CBS would be willing to sacrifice the 200k viewers Family Feud has to compete with the others.

2 Likes

My 1 hour news idea comes from what Sunrise initially was, a 1 hour program, that was extended to 90 minutes and then a 3 hour program once 9/11 happened in the US.

I dont know if anyone will remember, but Seven tried their hand at a breakfast news program in the late 80s called TV AM that aired between 6am and 7am and was eventually extended to 90 minutes, then a few months later axed by Seven. This shows that it can be a timing thing and given that 6am and 6:30am starts havent worked for Tens breakfast television, plus Ten were the first to show a consistent breakfast program from 1981 til 1992, where it was axed after moving to 6:30am start time instead of the traditional 7am start.

Before people say its not the 1980s, i can accept that, but I think they can always move their start times if viewers start tuning in to the new program. Ten need something a little better as Family Feud or Bold and The Beautiful as a lead in to Tens morning show. Perhaps Ten could also look at reducing the time that Studio 10 runs in the long term and bring back some sort of midday show style program, after all Ten were the first to bring a constant run of midday style program, with The Mike Walsh Show starting in 1973 that moved to Nine in 1977. It was replace at midday in 1985 by The Midday Show with Ray Martin and moved to a prime time slot airing 2 nights a week (9:30pm Monday and Thursday i think it was). Midday show ran from 198 til 1998. I think if the Daily Edition can work, perhaps a new afternoon show somewhere around midday or 1pm could work. Again like breakfast TV, it won’t be a walk in the park, but Ten have been for many years pioneers of new idea and willing to take some risks

If CBS do start a 6pm news, it will probably be a half hour bulletin, best trialled over summer when they air repeats of Family Feud. They probably won’t want to axe the 5pm news prematurely.

Yes Ten, have in recent years tried a 6pm bulletin, but if you consider that in 1996, Seven tried a 5pm news and failed, but now have a 4pm news bulletin, which was at one point a 4:30pm til 5:30pm bulletin. There is a possibility that a 6pm half hour new could work. If they opt for a 1 hour bulletin, they might as well stay at 5pm.

Family Feud repeats could air at 4pm, and if a 6pm news bulletin works, Ten could move Family Feud to 5:30pm, otherwise if Ten News at 6pm doesnt work, return Family Feud to 6pm