Network Ten post-CBS

Good article.
But I’m not sure it was CBS outmanoeuvring Fox… more that Fox gambled on pushing Ten over, losing money but buying TEN up cheap.

But CBS, facing a bigger financial loss, saw this opportunity to buy Ten up cheap too.

Maybe it’s like outmanoeuvring a car that was driving slowly, unaware there was another car around.

2 Likes

Interesting article on the Herald Sun website tonight (and will be in Friday’s paper) about a secret five-year cost-cutting plan which was drafted in July and since given to CBS, Lachlan Murdoch and Bruce Gordon. Under the plan the 5pm bulletin will be produced from Sydney with a local state-based window (much like Nine News Regional). Shows like Family Feud will move from Melbourne to Sydney while Bondi Rescue and The Biggest Loser will be axed in 2018, followed by Shark Tank in 2019.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/ten-nework-jobs-in-jeopardy-as-shows-set-to-head-north-to-sydney/news-story/3358dcaa3dba4a6e6e5db1290c43a82b
I think this represents a worst case scenario and CBS is unlikely to proceed with large scale job cuts.

9 Likes

With this year’s absolutely appalling ratings for The Biggest Loser: Transformed, I think that show will most likely be axed (if it hasn’t been already) even if CBS takes over the network.

Aside from that, the reported Murdoch/Gordon plan sounds like an absolute disaster.

I couldn’t imagine that proposal being particularly popular with Melbournians.

Really, I know that regional news services are presented hundreds (and in some cases, thousands) of kilometres away but for news services in major metropolitan markets and especially cities the size of Sydney & Melbourne - you have to be live and local when the big stories happen. Otherwise, you’re f***ed!

2 Likes

That news scenario, as one of the options leaked from Ten months ago, was widely discussed here. The same article in The Daily Telegraph states:

It was just an internal proposal, and its entirely up to the new owners what they do.

5 Likes

What’s even more dangerous. Not renewing Formula 1 nor Supercars after they end. As the networks have been screaming about live sport being the future of TV

1 Like

It should be noted that plan was for Ten if it didn’t end up in administration.

It will be up to the new owner as to what happens in the future.

3 Likes

“Ten Nework jobs in jeopardy as shows set to head north to Sydney”

Given the typo in the article (nework instead of network) maybe someones job at the HeraldSun should be in jeopardy

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/ten-nework-jobs-in-jeopardy-as-shows-set-to-head-north-to-sydney/news-story/3358dcaa3dba4a6e6e5db1290c43a82b

Popular?? Where does he get this info from? Are the ratings wrong?

“Also under the plan, popular Australian-made shows Bondi Rescue and The Biggest Loser face the axe next year.”

5 Likes

Yeah I can’t see this being followed through.
What a rubbish article.

5 Likes

It seems very factually incorrect like most of news corps hatchet jobs. It is probably part of the blue horizon transformation plan. This is under the direction of the former board. This would probably not be fully in play anymore.

4 Likes

Same article on page 2 of the Herald Sun. :rage:

2 Likes

Could be a good chance for CBS to come out and confirm that they were all plans under the former failed management but now they have plans to… and then talk about some of their plans to increase news etc… they can then make the others look bad.

3 Likes

It could be worse, they could move all operations to the US

4 Likes

The really shonky thing is that other news outlets take this as gospel and start reporting it as news. Just saw it on Nine being reported as news that has been leaked from Ten and reported by Newscorp.

5 Likes

Seems like an effort to destablise the CBS purchase of ten.
I don’t see how FF being moved to Sydney will be cheaper. It isn’t an in-house Ten production. The article seems full of assumptions and somewhat baseless.

Why weren’t news corp reporting Murdoch and Gordon’s plans to shut down all the newsrooms and close down all the studios??

2 Likes

Ten have responded, basically summing up what we’ve just discussed here

“The document referred to in today’s media was part of a number of options that had been prepared on behalf of the Ten Board prior to the appointment of Administrators. At the time, Ten Network was exploring all options for improving its financial position.
“The financial environment for Ten has changed significantly since June, with CBS chosen by creditors as the new owner. CBS’s bid includes the retention of all employees.”

7 Likes

Good. Let this speculation crash and burn :fire:

2 Likes

The stupid part of the News Corp speculation is that the options were drawn up at a time when Murdoch, Gordon and Foxtel were significant shareholders and represented on the board that the report was prepared for. So the scenarios suggested are much more likely with them going forward than with CBS.

6 Likes

News corp do not care about facts. They are out to destroy the CBS deal. Plain for all to see. Pathetic.

6 Likes

Lets face it, long term Bruce Gordon probably planned to move all of Tens operations to Wollongong

3 Likes

I think Macquarie Park would be more likely, so it’s co-located with Foxtel.