Network Ten post-CBS

Considering it hasn’t been changed since the 70’s, they didn’t want to alienate their regular viewers with a total revamp. You can read more about it here:

The minimalist set was used for most of the Australian version too

Back on topic, a weekly review show, whilst not setting ratings alight, would be a useful re-enforcement of the station’s news credentials throughout the week, but with a gentle, relaxed tone. I think it would be great as part of a news re-build (if that’s on the agenda…). A Mal Walden or Sandra Sully would be great for this.

3 Likes

It also gives Studio 10 exposure to a different audience which I’m sure is part of the reason of its growth

2 Likes

Shit I thought you were kidding :joy::joy:

My logic about possibly dropping or moving infomercials come from the fact that CBS owned a third of 11 and it only broadcasts half an hour of religion a day ( or for regionals half an hour of infomercials). I accept they may continue with the same programming mix and could maintain output deals with Seven and Nine as they will be looking for the best return on their product. But I feel it is possible that it could be in the mix to move some infomercials to 11, providing that contracts with the advertisers do not prevent this.

CBS is a major player in the US and looks like it could become one here. Essentially, they will be eyeing the top prize but won’t make any decision lightly.

I suspect the content currently on other networks will, when current contracts expire, move to the Ten channels (I think it’d be odd if it didn’t), but some may have quite long terms/renewal options which let 7/9 decide if to keep renewing so we’ll have to see over future years.

There’s probably still some price premium for airing the infomercial crap on the main channel than a secondary channel, and any changes to programming will (hopefully) follow a review, development of a new plan/strategy and then any content licensing/commissioning so that will also need some time to be reflected on-air.

I hope there is less of the religious & other infomercial rubbish but I wouldn’t be holding my breath for it to happen quickly.

Haha, nice.

CBS Studio content does not air on Nine or Seven so there isn’t anything to move across.

I think it would be a great idea to bring back ‘Sunday’ to Australian tv. If Ten could poach someone quite respected to be their political editor, like Kieran Gilbert or one of the newspaper journos like Philip Coorey it would be an opportunity for a simple interview show with a sharp analysis of the week in politics. As someone who has watched Insiders for over a decade the format is tired and the conversation on the show isn’t worthy of appointment viewing. They’ve been dumbing it down for years.

It won’t bring them the best ratings but I think there’s a decent audience out there - particularly on new platforms - for a sharp, informative and compelling commercial news service that doesn’t pitch to Aldi mums and dads.

None, zero CBS-owned production (including subsidiaries like Showtime)?

I thought there was some including the US version of The Amazing Race on one of Seven’s channels (7mate?), and wasn’t Criminal Minds recentlyon 7, or have those licensing contracts ended?

(I feel dirty referencing anything on Wikipedia, being anyone can change its content, but) if this page is right, there may still be a couple:

Disney-Media Distrbution has worldwide distribution rights to The Amazing Race America. CBS has no control over that property outside of the US.

1 Like

It will also be interesting to see if any stories from the CBS America version of 60 Minutes will appear on the Australian version of 60 Minutes once the ink dries

Nothing will change until the Nine contract expires and if Ten don’t use the stories, CBS would likely continue to supply them because they make money from it.

Nine sub-license the stories from Ten so Nine do not get them directly from CBS.

1 Like

I am wondering whether a CBS-owned Ten will change things

If CBS own Ten it could be a different story

Maybe after existing contracts have expired but then again they’d have to weigh up the economic options. No use denying 60 Minutes from using the footage and losing the money it generates if it’s not going to he used by Ten. They’re not just going to endlessly throw money at Ten and not expect a return.

1 Like

I accept that and that is why I said I was wondering whether they would continue current arrangements where possible without heavily impacting on their brand. I guess ultimately, given Nine’s ownership of the name 60 Minutes, for Ten to use it, they may have to edit the footage to ensure 60 Minutes branding and references aren’t present on any show Ten may opt to use it on.

I guess that stories of international significance they may try and keep for Ten News and assuming Ten start new current affairs programs. And I guess Ten might be able to save on US correspondents for news stories etc, if CBS become the legal owners as they can utilise those resources and CBS just edit the stories to say the reporters name, the Ten Eyewitness News (assuming the Ten branding is maintained)

Ten have used many of the 60min stories in the past. Under one of the deals with nine, the network could only buy 10 stories a year.
Ten used the stories on a show called revealed and they have also used them on studio 10. I really think this isn’t the main concern of the new tie up with cbs. CBS needs to focus on prime time, rejuvenating news bulletins and getting sports rights. Then they can move on to fringe issues.

7 Likes

A where-to-now breakdown…

8 Likes

Oh and old Bruce isn’t even in that picture.

CBS All Access original program opener to the new Star Trek franchise. I can imagine the subtle eye background with Network 10 in the foreground.

11 Likes