Network Ten 2018

I share your obvious dismay over the lack of news promotion, but the promo in question is more about reality/entertainment shows for next year which has probably been in the pipeline for some time.

The new owners have really only just taken over ownership and I believe that we’re unlikely to see any affects of that for some time or at least while they come up with a plan for the network and decide what their position is with news moving forward.

1 Like

I’m not sure what they would promote? They have one hour of News a day outside prime time. That hardly gets the juices flowing of the viewing public, especially in the midst of an ad devoted to reality TV.

6 Likes

I agree, they only have one news program outside of prime time and one news based program in early evening. They need to regain viewer trust before they do too much with news. Their news brand has taken a beating by not being reliable - they still drop Weekend editions of Ten Eyewitness News for sporting events. They need to return to airing Ten Eyewitness News, on Weekends at as close to normal time as possible either at conclusion of the sporting event, even if it was a half hour bulletin, then air normal programming.

In the event of Rugby Union from New Zealand, it could air Ten Eyewitness News at 4:30pm or 7:30pm. In addition, the could air a special edition of Ten Eyewitness News at the normal time of 5pm on One to cater to those viewers that are used to 5pm news.

Not that News being introduced to prime time is a likely scenario in the immediate term, maybe a 30 minute 9:30pm news trial could work after the Big Bash on either Ten or One… I know news isnt going to rate through the roof on One but it could put the feelers out to see if an audience craves news at that time of night

2 Likes

Exactly. They don’t even have a scripted drama to promote and only one scripted comedy.

Ten always do wonderful promos. I love the graphical elements in that promo, which was what was used in the last one we saw for 2018 also. I’d love to see them adopt it more. Especially with the little silver and gold marbles coming around the corner etc. it’s like a reimagining of Nines early 2000’s package.

1 Like

Point being they need to start. Enough of the same old shitty strategy.

The promo is good but needs more.

2 Likes

You’d suspect though with CBS now involved, that Ten could start paying some greater attention to the News division. One hour of news is not able to sustain five newsrooms in every capital city so I strongly hope that Ten use an increase in funding to add hours of news to the schedule (exactly where, I don’t know).

A couple of promos for the 5pm news would go a lot further than their current strategy, which is not doing anything.

4 Likes

In the US, CBS airs news in at least some markets at 6:30pm, so perhaps they could maintain a 5pm presence make it a National bulletin and either keep it as a 1 hour edition and either cut it back to 30 minutes at 5pm and air a state based 30 minute edition at 6pm or 6:30pm (possibly retaining Family Feud to fill the half hour gap between the bulletins)

Whatever happens to Ten’s news service in 2018, I really think they need to consider a major On-Air Presentation refresh.

I mean…really. The SBS World News branding that got replaced just last week is younger than (well, most of) the current branding for Ten Eyewitness News! :open_mouth:

1 Like

Fair. Absolutely fair. Improve the product and the promos write themselves.

But say right now you were asked to sit down to write an ad if you’re in their creative/promotions department. Writing any ad, you have to ask what the USP is (unique selling point) - what they do differently to those offering the same service. Ten has nothing that puts them above the field, especially as their 5pm bulletin comes straight after the afternoon bulletins on their rivals and this all goes back to the cuts made to the News service.

More reporters/cameras then their rivals? No.
First to break the stories/better pictures? No.
More experience? No.
Their 5pm bulletin is longer/more in-depth/has a better sports package/weather than others? No.
More news across the day? No
More marketable presenters (Sully perhaps excluded)? No
Hard news in breakfast while the others fluff around? No
News at late night? No.
A comprehensive web presence that is best-in-class and taking the News game to their rivals? No.

I reckon Ten would struggle to fill out a creative brief to promote its own product. And it’s not something one of those all caps-lock mock ads for news services I’ve seen posted elsewhere a few times on the board would sort either.

Until the news service itself finds its niche in the market, rather than being a token effort of an hour a day then promotions are a waste of time when you can focus on other parts of your schedule.

6 Likes

Agreed. A shift in the news service is needed to make Ten’s product more unique. This was supposedly the intention of the Eyewitness rebrand a couple of years ago, which seemingly never went anywhere. No attempts to build ‘eyewitness’ interactions with viewers really got started before Ten axed a heap of bulletins and staff.

There is a marginal point that Ten is slightly less sensationalist than Nine or Seven, but that’s difficult to promote and those who take issue with Nine and Seven already watch the ABC.

Perhaps what Ten needs to become is more tightly focussed around particular stories and topics. At present Ten’s news service seems to be a bit random - local news stories which are obviously not as well funded as their 6pm counterparts with a sprinkling of low-effort international stories mainly VO’d from a reporter based in Sydney. There would surely be a market for a news bulletin which was more tightly focussed on something which Nine, Seven and the ABC neglect.

3 Likes

In the US local network-owned stations, including CBS, mostly have local news 4:30-7:00am, a middayish bulletin, 5:00-6:30pm (some start at 4:00pm), and 30mins at 11:00pm, that’s in addition to a two hour network breakfast show, 6:30pm network news, and two hours overnight. I don’t think Ten will ever do what CBS does with their news.

Seems that Ten making moves to increase the number of journalists/producers across all newsrooms as posted over in the Presenters & Reporters thread:

5 Likes

WIN version of the 2018 promo:

6 Likes

seriously why don’t TEN force WIN to use the circle logo for everything

5 Likes

Grant Denyer: Win is the best place for 2018.
Inside the background, the family Feud was completely refreshed. I thought from 2018, the Family Feud will be filmed in Sydney.

They aren’t gonna just start plastering news bulletins throughout the day next year on Ten…CBS just got the keys, it takes times to rebuild a tv network that went downhill for years! At least they are finally steering towards the digital world and who knows…news might be shown more with Ten daily.

2 Likes

This doesn’t really make any sense??

Ten has replaced the snippet of Julia Morris saying the same thing about Ten, with Grant Denyer saying it about Win from the new Family Feud Sydney set… so it’s obviously been filmed pretty recently since the show moved locations from Melbourne.

1 Like

The WIN promo now has the logo at the bottom right, like the Ten version does:

4 Likes

Yet the regular episodes of Family Feud are on Eleven in the most populous WIN areas. :smiley:

1 Like