Network Ten 2018

Nothing about 21st Century Fox in that linked article ?

1 Like

Lachlan Murdoch, Bruce Gordon and as yet un-named 20C Fox reps, will be competing next year in the Ten’s revamped reality show The Biggest Losers :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

7 Likes

I too couldn’t see any Fox reference.

1 Like

It may be because they are more ‘fringy’ shows but the upfronts did not announce Hawaii Five-O, Man with a Plan, Crazy Ex Girlfriend, Elementary, Blue Bloods, Jane the Virgin and Undercover Boss.

A number of smaller shows that are now axed were not mentioned as returning for final seasons or to screen their one and only season such as Ripper Street, Bear Grylls: Mission Survive (season 2), Zoo, No Tomorrow and Doubt.

Plan to resurrect BTG (again):
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/plan-to-bring-before-the-game-back-on-ten-could-trigger-2018-tv-footy-show-war/news-story/be0d1848465a32209c0bac7bb6ad04b6

3 Likes

I would love to see that show back on air. I reckon it could work.

2 Likes

If it had guaranteed sponsorship and was cheep to make it would probably work. Of course it wouldn’t rate in Sydney and Brisbane.

1 Like

Sam Lane is contracted to Seven, rules her out unfortunately.

Andy Maher and Mick Malloy are free-lance (or at least non-exclusive contracts, as the former still works for Ten Sport and the latter appears on Ten comedy shows). But both would probably decline, given The Front Bar.

Hopefully BTG wouldn’t be on a Thursday night, cause for a 3 way train wreck!

Who could be some new comers, to potentially join Hughesy and Strauchanie? Maybe Pete Helliar will be himself, rather than his alter ego? Fitzy (who replaced Strauchanie)? Lehmo return?

Pete (who created it with Roving Enterprises), said a previous Ten board was in charge when it was axed after 12 years, but not really because of ratings, which were solid / competitive in Melbourne, especially in 2012 on Saturday nights (first year without AFL rights, against that new Saturday pre-game on Seven).

Same here. You would hope if it were to be revived that they wouldn’t schedule it back on Thursday nights again. The show really belongs on a Saturday night IMO.

surely it couldn’t do any worse than what they’ve got on their network that night.

They could get Quarters to host it instead of Andy Maher and maybe bring back Neroli Meadows for a woman to be a co-host.

Hopefully all these shows make a comeback then :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really? Gogglebox rates around 600-1.0 on Thursdays and their reality offerings rate best on Thursdays. So I think it could rate worse than what they have on that night. Unless you are talking about Saturdays?

1 Like

Well of course I am talking about Saturdays. Why would I refer to Thursdays when they have some big shows on that night.

Thanks for the clarification. It was just the way you worded it.

Used to love Video Hits, particularly when they added a host with interviews, etc. in the 2000s (“Fuzzy” - Faustina Aggolly + her numerous co-hosts).

I remember a “G” rated, child friendly “Video Hits First” on a Saturday mid-morning, followed by “Video Hits Presents” which did a feature (usually “PG)”. Then a more older child “PG” Video Hits on Sundays. Often at midnight a 5-10min “Video Hits Up Late” compilation would air.

It won’t return though, due to The Loop, which is promoted reguarly and I believe doing reasonably well, also has “Australia’s No. 1 music video show” tag-line.

2 Likes

I don’t see how weekend local news (which I do hope will make a return on Ten at some point in the future, BTW) could compete with Foxtel. Yes, there’s the Sky News Local Active thing but that’s certainly not comparable to the proper local news offerings from the free to air networks.

The merging of Ten Late News and Sports Tonight along with the Toyota sponsorship of the latter (the contact being burned off by briefly branding the sports segments on the 5pm news as "Ten News Toyota Sports Tonight) wouldn’t have helped either program in their final years.

As for The Loop, wasn’t that show launched not overly long after the axing of Video Hits in 2011? Of course it goes without saying that Video Hits is unlikely to ever return (especially to the main channel) in this day and age because The Loop is doing reasonably well on Eleven.

1 Like

Weekend news getting the chop wasn’t obviously to do with competition with Foxtel but was in line for the gutting of the newsroom to make the transition to a national bulletin through blue horizon and the failed sky news outlook. As for the loop…why not just bring back video hits instead? Better name.

2 Likes

Personally its like bringing hey hey back…it’s been done and left on a high note. The danger of bringing a show back just doesn’t do aswell as it would’ve done in the past i rekon.

1 Like

I do miss Sports Tonight.

If not main channel (it’d have to be with Late News), even as a weeknightly program for 30min on ONE, around early evening or late night?

3 Likes

There has been rumours that Sports Tonight might be coming back…

5 Likes