Network Ten 2018

Give them a break. They’re investing in new local content, a scripted drama and more of the good stuff that has worked for them. What else can they do in the short term?

3 Likes

I think there is some decent stuff in the back half lineup - the problem though is keeping up with the cadence created by Masterchef… with only 6 weeks left of MC including this week you’d think the adverts would have to start ramping up for the likes of Aus Survivor, Bachelor and the supporting programs around those tentpoles… shows like Playing for Keeps (has it been filmed?), All Aussie Adventures?, Blind Date these are the shows I’d expect to see take over from the gap MC leaves.

2 Likes

Yeah I thought Survivor started straight after Masterchef so surprised we aren’t seeing promos for it and Bachelor. Maybe this week.

Only just started filming.

Survivor should start in August.

Shame… it really should have launched off the back of MC… now it’ll be left to falter at the tail end of the year with no lead-in… unlikely to air before October if it is only just starting to film.

It’s female skewing so suggest they’ll try what they did with Wrong Girl and Sisters (launch it after Bachelorette or Bachelor). This failed.

1 Like

Yep… but The Bachelor will launch on the back of Masterchef so would make sense to prep it for a Wednesday 830 slot or try something new and slot it into Tuesday 830 following something like Blind Date.

I’m assuming Sun/Mon will be Survivor and Wed/Thur Bachelor so that leaves Tuesday as a night to try all new content.

Nah I think Game of Games will be Sunday 7:30 and Survivor 7:30 Monday/Tuesday.

1 Like

Ten’s schedule only ever revolves around 1 or 2 shows at a time. They have no depth. Holes everywhere. They need even more content that they’ve commissioning of late.

I feel like we’re on the cusp of some more announcements about a few more new commissions now that they’ve had some time to work on a strategy for a summer without BBL.

But based on what we already know, this is what is still to come for the rest of the year:

3 x returning realities: Survivor, Bachelor & Bachelorette
1 x returning light entertainment: Gogglebox
1 x new light entertainment: Blind Date
2 x new game shows: Pointless & Game of Games
2 x new comedies: Street Smart & All Aussie Adventures
3 x new dramas: Playing for Keeps, How to Stay Married & 600 Bottles of Wine
1 x new observational documentary: Secret life of 4 year olds

So out of approx 13 new shows that we know of, only 4 are returning. You could look at it 2 ways, that’s a shitload of new content or they had such a weak schedule last year and not much of that is returning which can only be a good thing IMO.

On top of that there’s a whole week of pilots coming up as well as a few rumoured shows like Sports Tonight, Saturday Night Takeaway and DWTS if that rumour is to be believed.

I would say that they’re looking pretty good at this stage (sure, more local programming & news content would be nice) but having a schedule lacking depth is not mutually exclusive to Ten, 7 & 9 are very guilty of this also to date in 2018.

1 Like

How to Stay Married is a 30 minute comedy.

600 Bottles of Wine is a web series. The whole series is 1 hour and 12 minutes.

The problem is that with audiences are heading towards streaming content, such as netflix, stan, and fetch add in catchup TV and older streaming sites such as youtube plus pay TV - then factor in FTA with multi-channel - and advertising revenue is split across traditional forms such as radio, newspapers and TV plus internet services - this makes it difficult to fund new original content, so we are left with cheap formats and second rate international programs, with the hits few and far between - the result - a lot of re-runs of the networks more successful programs

Drama comedy, doesn’t matter how long it is.

I know, still a comedy drama with 4 x 30 minute episodes they’ve acquired which is new.

Well, the BBC has just shown it as 4 episodes of 16, 18, 19 and 17 minutes in length.

I can’t wait for pilot week, as to see what they have commissioned for that week. Also that Sports Tonight show feels like it has been coming for a long time now, the time when we first saw it listed on the online Foxtel guide.

Yes, it was reported that Ten would show it as;

4×18’ episodes on its linear channel and stream the show as 8×9’ on Tenplay

So I assume with ads they can get it close to near~ 30 minutes.

Will Game of Games be ready by the time Survivor premieres which is only 5-6 weeks away… it was only just announced.

They have announced the host - more than Pointless has. I don’t see why it couldn’t be ready in 5-6 weeks.

True I guess… will be keen to see if it is… there may be a week or so between MC and the next round of realities starting if they’re looking to do a pilot week also…

I’d love to see some announcements about summer investment… I haven’t been a fan since like Season 4… but a flagship reality show like Big Brother could be a perfect summer investment… start it in early Jan and run it through to March… provides summer content but also plays into ratings season.

1 Like