Network 10 2019

Somehow I suspect we’re really going to get sick and tired of seeing Dr Chris Brown, Julia Morris, Grant Denyer and Amanda Keller on TV by the end of 2019 with Ten using each of them for at least two primetime programs + Sydney breakfast radio in the cases of Grant (presuming that he’s still on 2DayFM in 2019) and Amanda.

I reckon that they have her warehoused / on the payroll for something they haven’t announced yet and/or haven’t worked out what they can best use her for on the network.

1 Like

Would I’m a Celeb return next year then?

Already confirmed as returning, for a shorter run this season I hear.

I’m already sick of them and the programs haven’t even begun airing.

1 Like

Oh really? Where did you hear that?

One can dream… although part of me also doesn’t want to see it happen because no doubt they will cheapen the shit out of it ala 7s tilt at TPIR, at least based upon Ten’s other attempts at game shows so far.

2 Likes

Friend is a producer on the show.

1 Like

Thanks. I like this move a lot. I feel it drags way too much. I just wonder about the cost of the production as I thought the 6 weeks was the reason it was viable for Ten.

Definitely, also the shortening of Survivor bodes well for viewers with the network having to invest more into other productions which will hopefully add some much needed diversity and depth to their schedule rather than relying on the same 5-6 shows year round.

1 Like

This is the only good thing going for ten right now. The sheer amount of content they’re commissioning as opposed to the other networks. Hopefully the variety and depth will pay off. It’s much needed and eventually something will be a hit.

2 Likes

Desperation breeds innovation.

2 Likes

What is TPIR ?

The Price Is Right

1 Like

Would it affect Ten at all, if CBS and Viacom ever merged?

1 Like

Knowing how most modern TV studios are considerably smaller than the likes of Studio 9 were, I’ll bet Ten will have to do something different to showcase some/all prizes (especially larger ones like cars) for any revival of the program, particularly if it’s filmed at Pyrmont.

Channel Seven’s failed 2012 version of The Price is Right is a great example of how not to revive an iconic game show format - Larry Emdur was basically the only good part of that!

1 Like

No…australia is a keeper for CBS.

I don’t really agree. I think TV thrives on this familiarity aspect. Just look at American TV and ESPECIALLY Japanese TV where the same key tarento - uh I mean talent - appear over and over again day and night on multiple channels all the time!

1 Like

I think TPIR’s main problem was they messed with the format too much - the initial contestant’s row was a huge part of it being fun to play along with, and while it saved them money by cutting out a prize, it cut out too much of the core of the show - it just felt wrong because of that.

You can make TPIR cheaper to produce in less obvious ways by just making the individual games harder to win when the prize is more valuable - they already don’t give away that many showcases by the Australian format of it being far more difficult than just the ‘guess the value’ that the US version has.

Sale of the Century is kinda the same - the core of the show is the fast paced quiz without being dumbed down with multiple choice - I don’t think it’s hugely hurt as a format by having slightly cheaper prizes. Plus, you can make it cheaper by just pushing out the fancier prizes to more consecutive nights, and then having careful selection of contestants to ensure someone doesn’t get too easy of a run.

The good thing about formats like Sale and TPIR is that unlike giving away mostly cash, they can have part of the prize costs offset by the items being advertising for the company supplying them. So it should at least not be quite as cheap as Family Feud or Pointless.

2 Likes

I’m thinking Dancing with the Stars may have to be done at Fox Studios Moore Park, NEP Studios Eveleigh, or ABC Ultimo. Hopefully CBS spends the money so some of these new programs are made in larger studios than what Ten has at Pyrmont.

2 Likes