Netflix

Netflix Announces DISENCHANTMENT, a New Epic Fantasy Animated Series from Matt Groening

Netflix has ordered twenty episodes of Disenchantment, an adult animated comedy fantasy series from the mind of Matt Groening.

In Disenchantment, viewers will be whisked away to the crumbling medieval kingdom of Dreamland, where they will follow the misadventures of hard-drinking young princess Bean, her feisty elf companion Elfo, and her personal demon Luci. Along the way, the oddball trio will encounter ogres, sprites, harpies, imps, trolls, walruses, and lots of human fools.

“Ultimately," says Matt Groening, “Disenchantment will be about life and death, love and sex, and how to keep laughing in a world full of suffering and idiots, despite what the elders and wizards and other jerks tell you.”

The series will feature the voice talents of Abbi Jacobson (“Bean”), Nat Faxon (“Elfo”) and Eric Andre (“Luci”), along with John DiMaggio, Billy West, Maurice LaMarche, Tress MacNeille, David Herman, Matt Berry, Jeny Batten, Rich Fulcher, Noel Fielding, and Lucy Montgomery. Animation is being done by Rough Draft Studios (Futurama).

Disenchantment will premiere on Netflix ten episodes at a time, starting in 2018, and is produced by The ULULU Company for Netflix, with Matt Groening and Josh Weinstein (The Simpsons, Futurama) serving as executive producers.

“Matt Groening’s brilliant work has resonated with generations around the world and we couldn’t be happier to work with him on Disenchantment,” said Cindy Holland, Vice President, Original Content for Netflix. “The series will bear his trademark animation style and biting wit, and we think it’s a perfect fit for our many Netflix animation fans.”

3 Likes

Also Rick and Morty S3 is being sort of fast tracked a new episode every week.

CBC and Netflix Renew Northwood Entertainment’s Acclaimed Series ANNE (WITH AN E) for a Second Season

CBC and Netflix today announced they have renewed acclaimed series ANNE (WITH AN E) for a second season. Produced by Miranda de Pencier’s Northwood Entertainment, the second season sees an increased order from eight hours to 10 and begins shooting this fall. Adored by audiences and critics alike, this reimagined coming-of-age story follows Anne (Amybeth McNulty), an outsider who, against all odds, fights for love, acceptance, and her place in the world. Season two of the series (known as ANNE in Canada, and ANNE WITH AN E on Netflix) returns in 2018.

Inspired by the timeless Canadian young adult novel Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery, the second season will continue to chart bold new territory, adding new characters and storylines and continuing to explore themes of identity, prejudice, feminism, bullying, gender parity and empowerment through the lens of its fierce, starry-eyed, irrepressible 14-year-old protagonist.

The series stars Amybeth McNulty (Anne Shirley), Geraldine James (Marilla Cuthbert), R.H. Thomson (Matthew Cuthbert), Corrine Koslo (Rachel Lynde), Dalila Bela (Diana Barry), Aymeric Jett Montaz (Jerry Baynard), and Lucas Jade Zumann (Gilbert Blythe).

For season two, three-time Emmy® Award - winning series creator Moira Walley-Beckett (BREAKING BAD, FLESH AND BONE) has assembled an exceptionally talented all-female writers’ room. Episodes will be written by Moira Walley-Beckett, Jane Maggs (BELLEVUE, CARDINAL), Shernold Edwards (HAVEN, SLEEPY HOLLOW), Kathryn Borel (RUSH, AMERICAN DAD), Amanda Fahey (SAVING HOPE, MOHAWK GIRLS), and Naledi Jackson (21 THUNDER, THE DETAIL).

“This exquisite series has drawn universal acclaim and introduced Anne Shirley to an entirely new generation, reaching an audience of 4.5 million in Canada,” said Sally Catto, general manager, programming, CBC. “We know that the inspired cast and entire team will deliver an unforgettable second season.”

1 Like

Reuters reports Walt Disney will stop providing new movies to Netflix starting in 2019 and launch its own streaming service in America.

3 Likes

The Disney streaming service will also be available in multiple markets around the world, and they are contemplating withdrawing Marvel and Star Wars products from Netflix and other online services.

1 Like

I’m not surprised, I predict in the future all Hollywood major studios will stop supplying movies to Netflix and have their own streaming services. I know Sony has Crackle and Warner Bros has Warner Archive and another service whose name escapes me. Fox already has Hulu, fox.com, HBO Now and in Australia Foxtel Now.

1 Like

shudder

Is that sustainable though? Do they really think people will be paying for all these different streaming services? I dont see how they can all get enough subscribers to make a profit.

3 Likes

Absolutely agree. With that model, Foxtel comes out on top (if the studios don’t pull out there too) with the most diverse library and all of a sudden we’re back to 2010.

Netflix to bring viewers new series from the creators of FAUDA

–Lior Raz and Avi Issacharoff to create new Netflix series including an untitled drama series, with a second series, Hit and Run, in development–

–Season 2 of Fauda to Arrive on Netflix in 2018–

Netflix, the world’s leading internet TV network, will bring new series from the creators of the critically acclaimed series Fauda to more than 100 million members around the world.

Netflix has ordered straight to series an untitled project from Fauda creators Lior Raz and Avi Issacharoff, in which Raz will also star. A second series from the critically-acclaimed team, Hit and Run, is also in development. In 2018, Issacharoff and Raz’s acclaimed political thriller Fauda will premiere its second season on Netflix in all regions around the world outside of Israel and France.

The untitled project is inspired by actual events and follows a high-stakes global operation by the CIA and Mossad to track down and kill one of the world’s most wanted terrorists. Creators Issacharoff and Raz will serve as executive producers, along with Peter Principato, Itay Reiss and Kimberlin Belloni from Principato-Young Entertainment.

In Hit and Run, a happily married man’s life is turned upside down when his wife is killed in a mysterious hit and run accident. The political espionage thriller series is currently in development. Creators Raz and Issacharoff will serve as executive producers, along with Peter Principato, Itay Reiss and Kimberlin Belloni from Principato-Young Entertainment and David Hoberman, Todd Lieberman and Laurie Zaks from Mandeville Films.

“We are incredibly excited to start these projects with Netflix. It is an honor for us to continue our relationship with them and we are thrilled to be expanding our stories to be shared worldwide,” said creators Raz and Issacharoff.

“Lior and Avi are excellent storytellers and we’re proud to expand our relationship with them,” said Cindy Holland, Vice President, Original Content for Netflix. “We’re drawn to the global vision they have for their projects, each infused with drama, urgency, and relevance to our modern era.”

The Crown | Season 2 Teaser

As Queen Elizabeth’s marriage and empire crumbles around her, she must do what is required to ensure the British monarchy survives. The Crown Season 2. December 2017.

Netflix Renews GLOW for a Second Season

Netflix has renewed GLOW for a second season (ten episodes). Set in 1985 Los Angeles, GLOW follows Ruth Wilder (Alison Brie), a struggling out-of-work actress as she auditions for, trains and eventually makes the first-ever women’s wrestling TV show. Inspired by the short-lived but beloved show from the 80s, GLOW is a Cinderella story with bodyslams. GLOW is created by Liz Flahive (Homeland, Nurse Jackie) and Carly Mensch (Nurse Jackie, Orange Is The New Black, Weeds). Orange Is the New Black creator Jenji Kohan and Tara Herrmann are executive producers alongside Flahive and Mensch, who are serving as showrunners.

2 Likes

Gypsy cancelled:

Also I asked Netflix about how many Disney titles and we have 25 here and 28 in the USA. They said it only affects the US catalogue.

Shonda Rhimes and Shondaland come to Netflix

Prolific writer, producer and television hitmaker Shonda Rhimes is bringing her Shondaland production company to Netflix under a multi-year deal to produce new series and other projects. Longtime producing partner, Betsy Beers makes the move to Netflix as well.

The move further unites Rhimes with Netflix. While Shondaland’s award-winning series such as Grey’s Anatomy, Scandal and How to Get Away with Murder air in the U.S. on ABC – and will continue to – How to Get Away with Murder streams everywhere else in the world on Netflix, with Grey’s Anatomy and Scandal available on Netflix in many regions as well.

“Shonda Rhimes is one of the greatest storytellers in the history of television,” said Ted Sarandos, Chief Content Officer, Netflix. “Her work is gripping, inventive, pulse-pounding, heart-stopping, taboo-breaking television at its best. I’ve gotten the chance to know Shonda and she’s a true Netflixer at heart – she loves TV and films, she cares passionately about her work, and she delivers for her audience. We’re so excited to welcome her to Netflix.”

"Shondaland’s move to Netflix is the result of a shared plan Ted Sarandos and I built based on my vision for myself as a storyteller and for the evolution of my company,” said Rhimes. “Ted provides a clear, fearless space for creators at Netflix. He understood what I was looking for – the opportunity to build a vibrant new storytelling home for writers with the unique creative freedom and instantaneous global reach provided by Netflix’s singular sense of innovation. The future of Shondaland at Netflix has limitless possibilities.

Our current shows will continue to thrive on ABC and Shondaland will be there every step of the way. I could not have asked for a better home to begin my career. I continue to be grateful to work with so many talented people – especially our studio gladiator Patrick Moran and our most powerful and brilliant champion Channing Dungey.

Starting today, we are thrilled to begin creating new Shondaland stories with Netflix. Everyone at Shondaland is honored to expand both our audience and our creative identity with Ted and the entire team at Netflix."

Said Beers, "I am a huge fan of the talented team and amazing programming at Netflix. The ability to create content for our new partners is an exciting challenge. I am grateful to everyone at ABC for their continued support and I look forward to beginning this next chapter at Netflix.”

Good news if How to Get away with murder ever gets the boot

This is the thing. If Foxtel play their cards right with Now (and that is a very big if), then they will be competing hard with Netflix and Stan. If I were Foxtel, I’d be marketing the hell on how you can get everything you’re after in the one service, and plugging their local shows.

Granted, at least you’re paying for the services you want, but the reason lots of people don’t like Foxtel and other pay TV companies worldwide is because you’re tied into packages which includes things you’re never going to watch, and that problem is starting to repeat itself with the à la carte model.

2 Likes

Major Hollywood studios think so! They’d make more money having them available on the studio’s own streaming service than using a middleman such as Netflix.

Good luck to them then. I cant see people paying for different streaming services just to watch a specific movie when they could just download that movie instead in the same quality.

2 Likes

Netflix seem to have The Good Place, with Ted Danson and Kristen Bell, however they haven’t launched any episodes, instead they just have a placeholder. Not sure what they are waiting for as they have a whole season available already.