Neighbours

They’re trying to make it look like there is more natural lighting by not having too much lighting from above. However, there’s too much lighting from the front now which I think it actually makes everything look worse now, with bright light from the front and more shadows on the set. It doesn’t look like all the light is coming in from the windows but unnaturally from the front. It looks like a stage show now.

2 Likes

Thanks. That’s exactly what I thought. It’s almost like they’ve got a spotlight on them now, and even the coffee machine in Harolds casts a big shadow on the wall behind. Interior shots that are meant to be during the day now look quite dark. I actually thought the old lighting was pretty good so hopefully they have a rethink.

Agree the new lighting setup is shocking. it makes the show look tacky and like they couldn’t afford to have a proper lighting rig…

1 Like
3 Likes

Isabella Giovinazzo (Playing for Keeps) is joining Neighbours in a guest role. Her character will be seen on 10 Peach later this year.

3 Likes

Worrying news for the show’s future?

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s panic stations.

The article indicates that it is more to bring Australia into sync with the UK following the UK putting a pause on the show during the pandemic.

Also, from what I recall, its Friday ratings on 10Peach are often outside of the multi-channel Top 20 so instead of playing the show to an even smaller audience on that day at least they will now play to a more consistent audience on Monday to Thursday.

I wouldn’t read too much into it just IMO.

5 Likes

Channel 5 didn’t show Neighbours over their Christmas period, they had a break, so presumably how will Neighbours UK pace synch up with Australia when the UK episodes invariably fall further behind?

I can’t believe you don’t see this as worrying? Neighbours hasn’t even been officially renewed yet and their contract runs out this year.

So you have even less Australian drama being produced (Ten has aired a big fat 4 hours on their main channel this year) and you have clear evidence they view the all year round, 260 episodes produced as a waste.

Not to mention the evening repeat of Neighbours in the UK is moving timeslots, due to dissatisfaction with the ratings.

How are any of these signs good for Neighbours’ future?

It’s moving from 5.30pm to 6pm, replacing Home and Away because that show is struggling and that timeslot needs a boost.

No, they have to move Neighbours as they are wanting to extend the five o clock news.

Can you post where it says it is directly replacing Home & Away, nothing is confirmed yet as far as I’m aware.

Exactly, so you may also need to edit your post 2 posts ago saying it is moving timeslots.

I think Neighbours has done quite well with the current Nicolette/Chloe/Aaron/David storyline. Nicolette is such a polarising character and I think many people are tuning in to see her get her comeuppance. I note that the Canberra scenes shot late last year haven’t been shown yet so it looks like we’ll see these in the next couple of weeks.

Im one of just a handful who still watch Neighbours here in Aus . It will feel odd to only watch ot 4 nights a week, but am sure i will get used to it quickly. I know it needs to catch up in England. I hope though its just until the end of the year (the 4 eps that is).

1 Like

I checked the articles and you’re right, nothing is confirmed, not even the change to a one hour news bulletin and moving Neighbours. Just lots of speculation.

Charlotte was replaced by Leo Tanaka in the opening titles to fit with the storyline.

Yes. Nicolette has done runner and with Charlotte Chimes out of the credits, it’s made to look like she is gone good. But has she? :wink:

Is this really the reason though? Surely it’s lockdown related? If it’s storyline related that would mean 20,000-30,000 people “monitor” the show online and don’t actually watch it. How would people know/ care that this storyline is reaching its peak if they don’t watch the show/ aren’t committed and attached to its characters and stories?

1 Like

We’ve already acknowledged the lockdown effect in the ratings threads. Some people watch certain series but not every episode. It’s quite common for shows to lose or gain viewers based on storylines. That’s how ratings work.

1 Like

And tonight’s episode was the last Friday Episode to air in Australia for some time…

1 Like

They should have tried a classic episode of Neighbours on Friday nights, like how the USA did for B&B at one stage.

1 Like