Neighbours

Your children are in for a fucking rough ride.

Not only brought up by a homophobe but one that can’t spell or use grammar.

11 Likes

The homophobic trolls in this thread have no place on this forum.

8 Likes

I see @Martin’s point, but film and television have always been a reflection of their time, and that time is now - 2018. And in 2018 gay relationships and marriage is part of the norm, we may not be very fond of it @Martin, (I personally am totally fine with gay relationships but not very fond of marriage) but we must accept the fact that the majority of society approves of gay relationships and seeing gay couples express love in film and TV reflects the new values held in 2018.

Those shows are rated PG.

Why is Neighbours still rated G?

1 Like

Dance Academy was G rated. Ready For This was PG rated.

You want Neighbours content that would be edgier under a PG rating and this bloke is complaining about what is already allowed under a G rating. If he watched a PG rated Neighbours he’d probably have kittens. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I think we have debated this topic enough. :stuck_out_tongue: let’s get our back straight and stare off at our neighbours… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Because it’s a morally reprehensible position to take.

You can’t be truly accepting of people in society by pushing them out of culture because some people thing it’s “wrong” that two men kissed each other on a television show. Do you apply the same viewpoints to intercultural relationships?

(Oh, and it’s hardly about being trendy - Neighbours went out of fashion years ago.)

But because of the power that media forms have, there is a moral responsibility in my view to fairly represent society. In Australia, that is one that is diverse as ever. Why not embrace it?

4 Likes

Should be on the 7 Network, plus app. The Secret Life of Us Season 1 is available. I watched it myself and truth be told it wasn’t that graphic. LOL then again I am biased. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m sure your argument is very flawed in so many wrong ways. Yes kids are impressionable, that’s what they are kids.

Of course the old saying goes is - monkey see, monkey do. But you also have to remember that in today’s society things have changed. Your argument is saying that its disgusting , but yet you have not provided a thought logic or even back up the research that you spat on… Therefore you can’t speak to on the behalf of the population, that says they think its’ disgusting. Only the small majority that think it’s disgusting.

Your basically in this topic to spew nonsense and I shall be done with it now. :stuck_out_tongue: Eventually if people stop paying attention to this kind of type of bigortry , eventually it will fade away just like Bruce Jenner did when he morphed into Caitlyn Jenner. :stuck_out_tongue:

You can’t have this both ways.

1 Like

Or maybe it’s because we don’t discriminate against people based on sexual orientation, which is true of the majority of the population these days. We’d rather see a realistic depiction on television rather than one that is a complete whitewash.

6 Likes

Sorry, i had to redit this. lol quoted the wrong post to the wrong person

1 Like

As a gay man i would have loved to have jad neighbours have a gay kiss when i was watching as a child. It may have made it easier coming out as a child and me not feeling ashamed of who i was.

5 Likes

Fuck me. This thread. :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

There’s an app for that.

2 Likes

Bahahaha poor choice of expletive. Perhaps I should have said ‘fucks sake’ :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t have a particular problem introducing gay characters into mainstream tv shows or even them sharing a kiss - but I think we need to remember that over 1 in 3 people voted No in the same-sex marriage poll last year. I was one of them and sure many on here were as well.

My cynicism with television these days is that LGBT diversity is being pushed at the cost of religious and cultural diversity. What are the chances Neighbours introduces a Christian or Muslim, struggling in identifying their faith and eventually devoting their life to God? Next to none sadly, even though a large proportion of Australians identify with faith to some extent.

1 Like

Those 1 in 3 people can change the channel if they don’t like gay things on TV. Simple.

7 Likes

Well, as recently as last year we had a priest as a regular character but it actually went the other way. He was struggling with his faith and evetually left the church and his religion. We’ve also had quite a few Christian, church going characters in the past and a few of them have struggled with what the church teaches. And of course Neighbours has also had a few God fearing, moralistic types in the past.

They also have the blended Sharma-Rebecchi family who have often made reference to their interesting mix of Hindu and Christian faiths being observed, when they celebrate religious holy days.

They also had a guest character last year who was of the Jewish faith who was shown observing the Sukkot or Feast of Tabernacles. His character was a past boyfriend of one of the regulars and his religion was part of the reason they stopped seeing each other in the past.

So, Neighbours is trying to show all aspects of society.

2 Likes

I agree. It’s a hell of a lot more reflective of society compared to Home and Away that’s for sure.

2 Likes

I agree too. It is really good to see that they are trying to reflect what society and the suburbs are today.

1 Like

A few stereotypes then.