NBN News

Personally I’d prefer them to brand the bulletin as Nine News but if they have to dual brand, probably “NBN Nine News” would be the best way to go because “Nine NBN News” or “Nine News NBN” just sounds clunky IMO.

Yes, that’s correct. The Gold Coast receives localised versions of both NBN and Nine.

The NSW Central Coast (another one of the few regions in Australia to get both metro & regional channels) receives NBN and Nine Sydney, although having a “Nine News Central Coast” vs “Nine News Sydney” would probably be less of an issue.

3 Likes

I think this one might work well, although they might go for something like this if they don’t want to confuse the Gold Coast viewers.

This is Nine News: NBN Gold Coast (or insert other regions)

Otherwise having Nine Gold Coast News on both LCN 80 and 90 (albeit different bulletins at different times) is going to be a tad confusing, unless if they’re going to rename the NBN stream of Gold Coast to something like Nine Tweed Heads (and changing the name of the bulletin to Tweed Heads) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: .

This option would keep the “Nine News” name together as one unit, just with the NBN attached. Then they could let the Nine News brand in for all other bulletins, and just have 6pm as “NBN Nine News”.

Opening VO could be similar to Adelaide:

“This is NBN’s Nine News, with Paul Lobb and Natasha Beyersdorf.”
“This is Adelaide’s Nine News, with Brenton Ragless and Kate Collins.”

Plus, disregarding location would fall in line with the Sydney and Melbourne openers, which just include “This is Nine News, with [presenter].”

Forgive my (extremely) crude Paint editing, but I’ve thrown together a visualisation of @KICK-IT’s mocks with the new graphics. I’ve used the neutral card, like all regional bulletins do before the headlines. I figure that the bottom one would be more compatible with the lack of visual NBN branding on-screen, and the ability to promote the Nine News brand, eventually doing away with the small NBN altogether.

5 Likes

Yes, I think “NBN Nine News” is the way to go so they can leave the network reporter sign offs intact eg, “Mark Burrows, Nine News” rather than the edited “NBN News” version that is pre-recorded and dubbed over previously shown footage.

3 Likes

I didn’t see this last night, but I HOPE this is in addition to the 6 minutes of local news, and not included in it.

I suspect the latter however.

2 Likes

Tonight, NBN News aired the Nine News report (by Laura Tunstall) on the storms that hit Kurri Kurri in the Hunter and Toukley on the Central Coast this afternoon.

Though oddly NBN sent their own reporter (Meredith Gibbs) to Kurri Kurri for a LIVE cross, when Nine Sydney had already sent Kate Creedon up to Kurri Kurri for a LIVE cross back to Peter Overton.

If they are going to use the Nine News report, why didn’t they also use Kate for a LIVE cross?

Kate and Meredith were in different parts of Kurri, and did their crosses a couple of minutes apart, so this should have been possible?

Since they were in different parts of town, separate camera crews and links were used as well.

Doesn’t sound like a very efficient use of resources, does it?

2 Likes

I’m somewhat surprised that Nine Sydney didn’t have their live cross from Toukley…the town that’s actually (not by much, but still) in their viewing area unlike Kurri Kurri which would definitely have NBN Newcastle as their Nine station.

As for the reason why NBN and TCN deployed separate news crews and links for the story…maybe because the news operations of both stations aren’t really integrated with each other? And of course there’s the fact that Meredith Gibbs probably would’ve been doing a more localised story for NBN while Kate Creedon would’ve been covering the story for a Sydney (and possibly statewide) audience.

Both crosses were very short and there didn’t really seem to be much difference in what was actually being said.

I’d love them to keep the NBN News name, and call the station NBN. If done properly, combined with a great online presence, it can work well. But I can’t see that happening for three reasons:

1. It’s owned by Nine. And for some reason, they feel the need to identify the station by a metro channel allocation that doesn’t match up with the regional LCN allocation. To me, unless they fix up the LCNs, it’s a stupid idea.

2. SCA has already taken the step and rebranded all their stations as “Nine”, so they feel there is a need to maintain that branding, even if it is a stupid idea (see point 1).

3. Because a certain pack of idiots in Canberra has made the term NBN into a basketcase. (OK, not so much this one, but I think there might be some confusion in some areas)

I’d love the branding of NBN to stick around, but I can’t see that happening. May as well go one way or the other. Just don’t move the operations to Sydney.

2 Likes

I think you’re right, ECC … not only is the NBN brand going the way of the dodo bird, a fair chunk of their operations will probably head south too.

The move of NBN out of Mosbri Crescent to new and presumably smaller premises (rumoured to be Honeysuckle) points to that also.

Unfortunately a reality of today’s ultra competitive world where Internet TV is a BIG player and $$$$$ talk more than ever before.

2 Likes

Tonight NBN News Central Coast reported in their local window about a car crash that occurred on the weekend near Taree.

It’s one thing to report on out of area news, but it’s another thing to report on such news that is already at least 2 days old!

The Toukley storms were covered twice in separate NBN reports, five minutes apart, with a lengthy Melbourne report on Cup fashions in between.

On the plus side, NBN did do 2 local Central Coast news reports, one being the Toukley storm, plus a V/O on the 2GO breakfast show axing.

Which is better than the solitary news report and 1 or 2 V/Os they just do normally.

2 Likes

Gavin Morris was on The Chatroom on Nine News Now this afternoon (8/11/17).

1 Like

Half a Nine News signoff got thorough on the lead story tonight… I heard the words “Lane Calcutt” at the end of the report and it was cut off after that.

The Central Coast news window was also cut short at the end of the last report, Paul Lobb didn’t get to air with the ad break throw with “Coming Up” items…

They would NEVER cut it short in Newcastle, every other region has to wait for them to finish the window entirely, even if it means they have to put up with 45 seconds of looped music and/or black screens with silence.

It makes the non Newcastle bulletins look a bit cheap when that happens.

3 Likes

It makes it look like Nine/NBN is run by a bunch of amateurs.

1 Like

What about that Central Coast news story? lol

1 Like

NBN News opening tonight with story-specific background behind both presenters:

Also there is no longer a coverup on Nine News Now (presumably since that bulletin changed graphics/set), but the coverup remains on other Nine News bulletins.

6 Likes

Welcome to the inconsistency that is the world of NBN News

3 Likes

I think even Einstein would be baffled at the branding strategy of NBN News and indeed the station as a whole.

Side note: I’ll have a few days on the Central Coast next week. If I can, I’ll try and record some NBN News from there but unfortunately I won’t get to see the weekend edition (which is arguably better than the weeknight edition) this time around!

2 Likes

Yes, the weekend bulletin is “arguably” better if only because such a bulletin actually exists compared to Prime7 and WIN… which is kinda faint praise since it was expanded to 1 hour as it worked better as a 30 min bulletin., I think.

Why the Central Coast gets local weather on weekends ONLY (but not weeknights) is just yet another inconsistency that they have.

2 Likes