NBN News

With no logo cover up! :laughing:

That TV must be showing the “raw” network feed.

4 Likes

Gab would spit the dummy if they said that. He is very passionate about anthem NBN brand and Newcastle in general

1 Like

Nine sent up their own journo to Singleton yesterday for the stolen truck incident. NBN and Nine produced their own stories for their respective services.

1 Like

I think you will find that the only time channel 9 won’t use their own reporter on the ground is if they can’t physically get there, but will more than likely do a voiceover in the way that Robert Penfold seems to be able to report on all things in the USA

1 Like

They would not do this if it were QTQ or GTV, however.
They still run NBN like an affiliate - not like a network run station.

2 Likes

take the 4pm news in Sydney yesterday for example.

Damian Ryan (I think it was) in Singleton for 9 (Meredith Gibbs there for NBN News)
Natasha Appolini doing a local Wollongong live cross into the 4pm news… why couldn’t Gibbsy have done the same? She had live equipment there for local at 6.

It’s just stupid duplication.

5 Likes

When you are in Sydney you would notice if they used a regional reporter.

They are charging top dollar for advertising and they need to do it their way. Not just have a reporter from another station do it.

Also, the way a TCN reports on the story will be different to how a NBN reporter compiles the story.

Even us Novocastrians notice when DENNIS DRIVER appears on our screens.

4 Likes

Yes, I saw both the NBN and Nine reports that were compiled for the Singleton truck crash and Nine definitely had the more polished looking report.

Surely NBN viewers would be better served by taking the Network report on such occasions and covering an alternative piece of news (which viewers have now missed out on).

NBNs behaviour in relation to news on many fronts still baffles me.

3 Likes

bullshit. It doesn’t stop them from using the 9 News Regional reporters in their bulletins.

3 Likes

yep we sure do, it’s nice to have a decades-long experienced bloke do some excellent reporting.

Yeah it’s like suggesting 9News Sydney has to fly one of their reporters to Melbourne to cover a big story there rather than showing something from a 9News Melbourne reporter.

It must be too complicated a process to change the sign-off eg Damian Ryan National Nine News to Damian Ryan NBN News

Perhaps they should just rebrand/rebadge NBN to Nine Newcastle, like it is listed on the LCN channels, then they wouldn’t have such “technical” issues.

Then if there is a breaking story during the morning in northern NSW, a regional reporter can cover it until a metropolitan “professional” reporter can take over lol

Jane Goldsmith actually said “…Nine news spoke to the father…” tonight.

I wonder if because it’s a weekend it was just the intro directly imported from 9 News Sydney (limited staff)

1 Like

I watched some of NBN News tonight, and the sports segment was interesting…

They started with detailed coverage of the Newcastle Jets A-League game, followed by a Nine News sports wrap (complete with 9 News transition slides) that covered the Wanderers vs Central Coast A-League game, plus tennis and something else, before they got to the Kangaroos Rugby League World Cup trial game (which is what Nine Sydney led with) and cricket. NBN also aired a boat race on Lake Macquarie across Northern NSW.

I wonder if this (still) Newcastle centric approach to story selection and placement is part of their reason in them dropping to #2 in the ratings on the Northern Rivers?

And whether NBN makes any changes accordingly (now that the only market where they are #1 is Newcastle.

3 Likes

You answered your own question.

They sent up Damian Ryan, one of the most senior figures at 9 News and Australian television news.

When they start losing ratings for using a senior, well known Sydney reporter on the biggest story of the day instead of a using a local NBN reporter, give the News Director a call with your feedback.

2 Likes

There must’ve been a few of those 2012 “Celebrating 50 Years” logo boards out the back? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I hear the calls for NBN News to be rebranded Nine news to be pretty loud on this thread, and I personally have to agree (the mish-mash of branding is just really weird). But I think they might not do that because:

1. NBN is a heritage station, which means that people are used to NBN instead of Nine etc.
  2. Gold Coast also receives NBN right? If that’s the case then I think two editions of ‘Nine News Gold Coast’ would be pretty confusing (keeping in mind that Nine Gold Coast News airs at 5:30 on LCN-90 while NBN News airs on Channel 80).

What could be some probable names? 9NBN News, Nine News NBN or maybe even something like this:

From the Nine Network of Australia, This is NBN News

2 Likes