NBN News

Kudos to Jane, it was revealed during the 4pm news that she nas been at the John Hunter hospital since 1am this morning covering the tragedy. Fantastic effort Jane!

9 Likes

I saw her live report in the 6pm bulletin. Sheā€™s definitely earned her overtime pay. She did look a bit emotional right at the end of her report and I donā€™t blame her at all.

1 Like

Yes, she certainiy has earned her dinner tonight!
She would have been very tired too.

The only report aired on the bus crash was a network one, but that coverage from Damian Ryan was excellent and wanted for nothing.

Jane Goldsmith interviewed the Cessnock mayor live from the hospital and Hannah Taylor did a cross from Cessnock police station regarding charges for bus driver, but that was the extent of the local coverage.

In the Newcastle local window, the only local items were a voiceover on Kings Birthday honours and one on whale watching, the rest of the window was Nine News content.

1 Like
3 Likes

Makes me wonder how long until NBN promote Jane Goldsmith to the main weeknight presenter role. Jane can definitely carry the bulletin on her own no doubt. Why they continue with Natasha & Gavin is beyond me. Gavin is great on weather and should stick to that.

5 Likes

They took Gavin off weather only to save on presenter costs (and got rid of Paul Lobb instead).

Agree that Jane is NBN News best presenter, I would like to see her paired with Tyson Cottrill for the weeknight newsraders, and move Natasha to weekends. I also prefer Adam Murray over Mitchell Hughes for sport news presentingā€¦ So their ā€˜B-teamā€™ should really be their ā€˜A-teamā€™.

1 Like

Not a fan of Tyson. Seen him present a few times, no charisma. I would pair Jane with someone like Chris White (if he was still at NBN), I recall they presented a few times together.

1 Like

He does look a bit too serious sometimes, thatā€™s true. The opposite of Paul Lobb, who looked a bit too cheerfulā€¦ but Iā€™d still prefer Tyson over Paul.

Gavin is OK, but lacks authority in that he has never done the reporting type apprenticeship that presenters usually do.

1 Like

Reporting isnā€™t a necessity for presenting, Brenton Ragless did the same thing in Adelaide, initially was weather presenter and then moved across to weekday news presenter. Gavin has plenty of experience in presenting weather.

1 Like

Itā€™s not a necessity, but I think it adds a lot of credibility if you have a proven journalistic background when presenting the news.

1 Like

didnā€™t seem to affect Hendo.

Iā€™m not a huge fan of Tyson or Gavinā€™s reading. Iā€™d go Jane solo.

1 Like

Heā€™s from a different era when there wasnā€™t as much news on TV as there is now, particularly with the ability to do live crosses etc more easily.

The 7:59pm Weather update by Gavin had a ā€œNine Newsā€ super.

Then when it faded out there was an NBN News watermark underneath.

2 Likes

I like Brenton. I think itā€™s the way the presenter comes across. I find Gavin to come across when presenting like watching paint dry. Similar to Mark Ferguson on 7.

Same with Will Goodings on 7ā€¦ would Adelaide be the only place where the 2 main bulletins are both co-anchored by people with no on the road experience?

2 Likes

Caught a NBN News promo for the first time in a couple of months at work yesterday - they had the solid NBN News logo in the white box on the far right of the screen. Not sure how long thatā€™s been happening for.

3 Likes

Gav is presenting with a lot of energy tonight. Great bulletin

1 Like

Great thing with NBN at the moment is there 3-4 reporters who can present bulletins really well. More than some of the metro newsrooms.

2 Likes

There must have been a technical issue at the end of the local weather windows tonightā€¦ Newcastle finished its weather window with usual surf visionā€¦ when she finished her bulletin the surf vision stayed on screen then after about 20 seconds they just switched to the network without closing off

2 Likes

Same with New England/Northwest weather with the Moree 7 day forecast card staying still for around the same time :timer_clock:

1 Like