NBN News

Interstate reporters aren’t “familiar faces in the Sydney market” either.

By that logic why isn’t TCN regularly sending reporters over to other states when stories of national significance pop up? Reporters in SA and WA may not have the same “experience” of east coast journos (for example).

It’s a bit different sending a journalist a couple of hours up the road, and flying a journalist interstate. Why do you think Sydney often use their own journalists to re-voice interstate packages, word for word? Because of familiarity. It’s nothing new.

1 Like

Sometimes it’s also to make the content a little more relevant eg. the Sydney repackage of a Perth story will be less likely to mention exactly where in Perth it occurred (for instance) and focus more on the general nature of the story.

I’ve also seen them air reports with Melbourne reporters - I recall one earlier this year where Stephanie Anderson filed a report with a preview of the Australian Open, but Sydney edited out the bit regarding ticket prices… I know this because NBN News didn’t edit out the ticket prices like Sydney did!

1 Like

The NSW Election didn’t get coverage on NBN News until 6,05pm tonight, with it on tomorrow. Bizarrely, Kalyn Ponga’ trip to the USA for concussion tests was covered before the Election was.

The lead story was the Hunter Valley winery fire, Claudia Vrdoljak did NBNs report, Sophie Upcroft did Nine’s… both were on location as well.

Not sure I find it that surprising - its big news for the Knights (and their fanbase)

1 Like

It’s not really a big story… he is just having some tests done… there is no news yet on when he’ll back on the field or if he returns at all… That will be the important news.

The fact he won’t be there for what is now an indeterminate period of time is important (not just for the Knights chances but as part of the whole NRL/HIA broader story as well).

We’re talking about the “star” player from the team that has broad (and often rabid) support from the market in which the news is broadcast - not really surprising its leading local news.

But it was aired throughout Nth NSW, so was not presented as local news as such. The Election that is on tomorrow is surely more important to the viewing area as a whole. I note Nine and the ABC lead with the Election and it took up the first 5-10 minutes of their bulletins.

But having said that, I’m not really surprised, as NBN News has always been Newcastle centric across Nth NSW. As such, its not surprising that 7 News Local and 7 News @ 6.30 is more popular up north.

The election coverage ran right before the local windows, which allowed them (at least in the North West) to run the two Nine stories from the party camps straight into the local coverage of the election. I get the election is an important event, but ordering it the way they did allowed it to essentially have its own block in the bulletin.

2 Likes

I agree with the Election coverage just before the local window, which is how it should work.

The Kalyn Ponga item should have been in the Newcastle window after the Election.

1 Like

Horrible quality to Port Macquarie for a Live cross.

3 Likes

I believe they use 4G/5G mobile infrastructure for live crosses…
There must have been a lot of congestion on the network at that time.

1 Like

Also, horrible weather maybe interfering as well.

3 Likes

Unusual for NBN to post a 9 link for a local story

2 Likes

They are probably on minimum staffing at 9NBN Newcastle today due to it being Good Friday. I wonder if they’ll just take the Nine News report for this tonight (assuming they’re covering it).

2 Likes

Good Friday is a day when not much is open and NBN is no exception

2 Likes

And that’s not a bad thing. Why NBN retains journos and other staff for so long.

Actually a bit surprising that NBN still has an hour-hosted news on public holidays.

1 Like

And tonight, it’s the regular weeknight presenters, Gavin Morris and Natasha Beyersdorf …. Usually on public holidays they just have a solo presenter who normally does weekends, like Jane Goldsmith or Tyson Cottrill.

AND there was a local news window too of the usual 5 minute length, but Central Coast had just the one report (which is not unusual). Normally NBN News does not have local windows on Good Friday (or Christmas Day).

The Newcastle shooting (as posted by MarkHD above) was covered by local journalist Isabella Evans, Maggie Raworth did the Sydney report. Both were on location.

1 Like

Tyson and Jane did Easter Sunday.

2 Likes