NBN News

Jane was caught off guard adjusting her dress? After the end of the last story

2 Likes

If recent ratings are anything to go by, it won’t be going anywhere anytime soon!

2 Likes

Because there’s no other choice especially in the hunter region

2 Likes

Darwin’s playout should go to TCN while NBN gets moved to GTV.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s as simple as blaming QTQ for the issues. Like others have said here a while ago, remotely producing and controlling a bulletin is much more complicated than controlling one just down the hallway - communication between all staff is so much more important and the potential for mistakes is much higher.

I daresay that most (if not all) of the issues we see now would likely continue in one form or another regardless of which metro station was controlling it. QTQ seems like the logical choice to control NBN given they already produce Darwin and don’t produce any other content (ie, sports shows like GTV and TCN do).

Might also be down to some junior staff being left in charge while more senior producers are on holidays over the non-ratings period.

6 Likes

Unscheduled ad break mid report 5 minutes in tonight!

We were returned to the news in the middle of another report.

4 Likes
7 Likes

And another DOH moment…

At the end of the bulletin, “A Current Affair is up next”… someone forgot to check the EPG for the tennis!

Yes some issues are at Brisbane or Sydney for playout, but there are some local issues too.

5 Likes
2 Likes

It almost sounds like QTQ have chucked some people in the deep end to being automation pilots?? It’s a job well known as being the most difficult operations role in TV, particularly when live crosses and last minute rundown changes happen. Automation pilot is the following old school control room jobs all combined into one: director, directors assistant, audio operator, camera op, floor manager, technical director and autocue operator. Definitely not a role you can churn staff through.

5 Likes

If Darwin’s constant tech problems are anything to go by… you’re correct!

1 Like

It is constant, there’s rarely a night where there isn’t any kind of glitch on NBN News.

3 Likes
7 Likes

Don’t think comparing micro-wave trucks from the 80’s to Dejero’s is a fair comparison.

I get the point old mate’s making… But Dejero’s are far more superior.

9 Likes

I think he was also making the point about it all being done locally, not remotely.

The technology that NBN had at the time was probably their equivalent for Dejero.

2 Likes

Was a helicopter necessary?

2 Likes

Maybe not, but it’s probably a status thing, NBN would have been rolling in it back then, so if you’ve got it flaunt it. Those were the days of excess.

3 Likes

That’s why those days were better, they had money to splash which made the industry all the more better. Now we complain about the state of tv today, but it is because of a lack of money or rather, the cost of spending on technology and labour these days is so much higher that revenue isn’t increasing to cover that.

2 Likes

where is the speed boat…?

7 Likes

ehhhhh well the Channel Six regional stations in Victoria had helicopter so I guess they said “why not?”

3 Likes